Cleaning the CCD on your SLR

P

pons

Graham,
Really interesting stuff,but what really caught my eye when I looked around the site was a comparison with a quality Nikon film camera ,shooting on Velvia against a D30 Digital,and comparing results.........gobsmacking,and definately not what I expected to read or see.

Mark,
That screen is a GREAT idea,no question,and I agree with you dust ingression is a major problem,as is sand where I have just been.

Dampness and water ,and condensation is another major problem for us,my last five uk shoots have been on such days,and prior to going to Africa,my camera was sticking on the shutter after firing the shot,and on a go slow.
An expensive repair was looming,but the heat abroad seemed to cure it,and keeping the battery charged right up.

The guy in Jessops showed me how to blow a couple of foreign objects off the sensor,using a blow bulb,which were getting on the image,using the bulb set up on manual.

When the DP reviews come out for the Sigma and the Fuji,I will look very carefully.

Pons.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Chris, I've just tried to find the bit you're refering to but no luck. Can you post a link to the actual page. Don't worry about making it a live link if you're not sure how to do it, I'll sort that out after.

P

pons

Post a link,Me !.....................your 'avin a larf,Graham,the Pons is a computer numptie,but will have another lookie see and get back to you.
Pons(chuckling )

P

pons

Graham,
Go to Luminous Landscape.

Then go to product reviews,from index on left hand side.

Go to letter C.

Then , D30 versus Film.

Best I can do !

Pons.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It just goes to prove that anyone who still uses film is a traditionalist old fart an refuses to recognise that digital is better.

It's like those anglers who still think split cane is better.

It isn't!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

What amazes me is that it looks like the 'D30 Vs Film' comparison was done 7 years ago! How much has digital photography moved on since then?

He's merely confirmed what my own eyes have been telling me for a long time.

Merlot.

Reaction score
We have been using digital cameras at work for years, they are both easy to use and are very good. As for evidential purposes they are great. A new flash drive/memory stick for each case.

On a side note I have used cane rods for longer than I care to remember, but have never claimed they are better....

M

MarkTheSpark

You can't argue with the facts as presented - the D30 was superior.

So why is it that so much of digital in print is such rubbish? If you compare the best professional film shots of a few years ago with the current digital images, no obvious difference.

But if you look through the mags you'll see a lot of digital pics which frankly aren't up to much, whereas film images from any source were OK a few years ago. I suspect the reason for poor reproduction is poor pre-press work.

In the old days, when print pages went to repro, a professional would scan and adjust each film image, and get consistent results. These days, there doesn't seem to be much correction going on - even magazines which use a repro house don't seem to be getting the best from their images.

I have no idea why. You'd have thought that as scans merely digitise the analogue image, and correction is done afterwards, that direct digital images would be done the same way. That includes reader shots.

But I have even seen examples of a failure to convert RGB to CMYK before press, giving the weird colours that occasionally creep in.