Cleaning the CCD on your SLR

M

MarkTheSpark

After a time, the CCD on an SLR will gather some dust. Most SLRs have a 'mirror lock' facility so you can access the CCD and clean it. But for heaven's sake don't do what I did - you might not get away with it.

The first thing is NEVER to just hold the shutter button on B to keep the mirror up. Accidentally release the button and you're looking at a very big bill. Use the proper function shown in your manual.

NEVER try to clean the CCD with any kind of swab or cotton bud with the exception of the special ?20 kits sold for the purpose. Even then, be really, really careful.

The dust can usually be blown off the CCD with a bulb puffer, NOT a puffer brush. Hold the camera upside down as you do this so nothing else falls inside.

And <u>don't</u> use canned air to blow the dust away. I tried, and a jet of propellant shot out straight on to the CCD, leaving a big splodge. Using a very expensive swab kit (like I say, ?20 minimum) I managed to get the splodge off, but if you're really unlucky, the freezing action of the propellant shatters the CCD.

C

Cakey

my local shop does mine for me free ................or I dont upgrade with them anymore
my new 400D is self cleaning but still needs a manual clean now and then apparently

C

Cakey

and I dont know if its me or not but there seems so much more dust these days

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One of the main disadvantages of the digi SLR is of course the fact that dust and other foreign bodies can get in the CCD whan you change lenses.

If you want to change your lense, try and find a nice clean spot away from rain, dust and other such muck to do it.

Only change lenses when you have to and don't keep taking the lens off "To have a look inside".

And follow the cleaning instructions in the manual to the letter.

T

The Monk

yes the CCD plain can be a problem but if you follow the manufacturers instructions you should be fine

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Buy a good quality zoom like an 18 - 200mm and don't take it off.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I haven't taken my 18-70 zoom off since I have had it Graham.

M

MarkTheSpark

Buy a good quality zoom like an 18 - 200mm and don't take it off

Is there such a thing? My experience of really big range zooms is barrel distortion at the wide end, vignetting, too low a max aperture and all kinds of contrast control issues.

Truth to tell, I use my 24-70 2.8 nearly all the time, but even the occasional lens change lets some dust in.

Interestingly, Sigma's just issued its SD14 - what a tool, and it's got sensor protection so you can scrub away with cotton buds like a nutter. Read all about it here

T

The Monk

so you can scrub away with cotton buds like a nutter.

haha nice one Mark, yes it sounds good

I rarely change my lenses except in the case of when I do a bit of wildlife photography and put a 600mm lense on, I do this however in a specially designed darkroom bag which grips around the large lense once the baynet end is in the bag

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That's a good idea mate.

I've messed about with a few dark room bags in my life too!

I've done quite a bit of photography with my Nikon 18-70 zoom. The pictures seem to be spot on, not much sign of barrel distortion. Mind you the lens gets great reviews.

P

pons

Mark the Spark,
That does look a great tool,and maybe what I will upgrade too from my Nikon D70S,which is good,and takes great piccies,but I want something a little better now,as my photography has moved up a gear lately,re digital.
The other camera I like the look of for image quality is the Fuji S5.
Does the Sigma take the Nikon lenses ?
Cheers,
Pons.

M

MarkTheSpark

Pons. I think it does take Nikon as well as Sigma - info is on the website, and there are some on-line reviews around.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Talking about Sigma they make an excellent Macro lens that is terrific value for money. It's the Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro. I bought mine brand new through eBay for ?160 including postage. And I think there's someone doing them a bit cheaper than that.

Here's a picture of a plummet I took with it. The plummet is about 3/4 inch high.

P

pons

Cheers for that Graham,have always wondered about the 50mm route,which I have with my old slide lenses,but lately have seen the 105 macro,and 90mm lenses on fishing features.
Much of my work is landscape and people away from fishing shoots,and that new Fuji S5 looks mighty tempting.
Just not convinced the Sigma SD-14 would have the durability or reliability of the Nikon or Fuji offering.
May be totally wrong though.
Pons.

T

The Monk

Fuji bodies are made by Nikon and have the same baynet fitting, although why not get the D200 its about the same price now ?

P

pons

The D200 is a lovely camera ,no question, Monk,but image quality is definately my no 1 consideration,and I reckon the Fuji would probably win that battle.
I am keen to return to Africa very soon,where I recently visited and got some stunning shots ,and in fairness may well get a D200 if the price is right.
Thanks ,
Pons.

M

MarkTheSpark

I'm still swayed by the dust protection on the SD-14 - witness my post about cleaning a D200 CCD.

Angling photography (and all outdoor photography) invites problems with dust ingress.