polarized camera's

Matty C

Reaction score
hiya guys..
Ive been asking about polarized binos on another thread and had a great responce with loads of info. turns out though, Im just better off wearing my specs and looking through the binos. works fine for me..

I was then wondering, does anyone have polarized cameras, if so, how much, and if I was smart enough at it, could I just hold a polarized lense over the shutter of my cam, and use it that way, or will the pic get destorted ?

any ideas would be great
cheers guys

Matt

alan

Reaction score
what camera?

ive got a fuji s5500 and i bought a polerising lens for ?10.
it works great, stops the colours looking washed out in sunlight, helps remove/cut down the glare from the fish, and lets you take photos through glass.

G

Ged

Polarizing lens/filter.
Have had one for years. Can buy them in different sizes to fit camera lens. The one I have is 55 mm but I also have reducing/stepper rings so can use it on other lenses.

M

MarkTheSpark

Beware what are called 'circular' polarising filters - they are for increasing colour saturation but aren't much cop for cutting reflected glare.

You want linear polarising filters, available almost anywhere but there are some bargains on ebay. You need to know the internal diameter of the thread on your lens - you can just measure it (carefully) or look at the manual or on-line to find out what that is.

When you get the polariser, you'll find it has a revolving end, so you can twirl it to the best position to cut out the glare

T

The Monk

I must admit I uise the Cokin polarising filters in the holders and they appear to cut out the glare on the water, i`ve photographed things like bait and rigs in the margins for slide shows

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Check which you can use as some autofocus systems will only work with circullar. I had this problem with my Nikon F90X Pro. They might have solved the problem by now though.

T

The Monk

I turn the auto focus off to use polarisers, they will take the polarising effect off if turned in the wrong direction

M

MarkTheSpark

Lenses with internal focussing (i.e. the lens barrel and filter doesn't revolve when you focus) are the best bet, and Bryan's right about the autofocus not being too hot through a linear polarising filter.

The revolving filter is a problem because a linear polariser needs to be at a precise angle to filter reflected light - it can filter any reflected light, horizontal, vertical and everything in between.

I know this sounds complicated, but it's not; you NEED an SLR but through the lens you can actually see the effect the filter has as you revolve it.

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers for all the help guys.. very interesting indeed..

however, am I right in assuming all these screw in lenses n so on are for proper big pro cams with film n stuff, rather than digital cams ?

if so, can anyone put me onto a cam, the type of which you are talking about, of which I could get polarized lenses for ?

not too expensive though please.. these will only be for personal interests, rather than anything fancy or professional, so I dont need anything major, just one that will do the job nicely.

cheers guys

Matt

G

Ged

Any SLR with detatchable lenses will do.
If you have the brass, a digital with detatchable lenses should be okay. You just need diameter sized filter to fit camera lens.

M

MarkTheSpark

Thinking a little more about my earlier post, there's no reason why a digi camera with a good-sized LCD screen wouldn't work perfectly well, too. Only the autofocus might be a problem, so a camera with optional manual would make sense.

Come to that, the much-admired Fuji Finepix 5600 and bretheren might be fine.

Matty C

Reaction score
am I to assume the fuji S5600 has a 55mm lense then ?

so Ill need a 55mm linear polarizing lense ?

alan

Reaction score
yes it is 55mm

no you need a circular, the linear are for manual focusing and dont work with auto focus.

Matty C

Reaction score
hmm.. now Im confused.. youre saying get a circular, but Mark says to get a linear..

please read:- "Beware what are called 'circular' polarising filters - they are for increasing colour saturation but aren't much cop for cutting reflected glare.

You want linear polarising filters, available almost anywhere but there are some bargains on ebay. You need to know the internal diameter of the thread on your lens - you can just measure it (carefully) or look at the manual or on-line to find out what that is.

When you get the polariser, you'll find it has a revolving end, so you can twirl it to the best position to cut out the glare."

any deffinately answers ?

alan

Reaction score
taken from jessops,

Important: If you have an Autofocus camera, camcorder, or a manual-focus camera with spot-metering (e.g. OM4, T90) then you will need a CIRCULAR POLARISING filter! These look and feel just like a linear polariser, but will not confuse the camera's focusing/exposure system.

Mark is also talking about SLR's, not a fixed lens camera.

i will take a few pics with mine and show you how much glare they cut out.

captain carrott

Reaction score

alan

Reaction score
the s5500 comes with the attchment, and the s5600 dispite what the ebay ad says dosnt need an adapter, its a fixed lens, all the moving parts are inside, the lens just screws straight on.

Matty C

Reaction score
ok so please correct me if Im wrong here.. with the fuji 5600, being that I want the polarizing filter to cut off reflective glare, much like glasses, would I be better off buying a linear filter, and doing the focussing myself, or buying a circullar filter so I can leave the auto focus on.

If the first choice of doing manual focussing, am I right in assuming the picture quality will be the same when I put the pic on the computer as it will be while looking through the lense to get the pic, or will there be a differance, enough to ruin the pic ? obviously I can sharpen or soften any pics on photoshop if only minor differances, but could it ruin the pic if using manual focus and getting it only a smidgen out of focus ?

cheers guys,
any help would be great