Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hiya guys..
    Ive been asking about polarized binos on another thread and had a great responce with loads of info. turns out though, Im just better off wearing my specs and looking through the binos. works fine for me..

I was then wondering, does anyone have polarized cameras, if so, how much, and if I was smart enough at it, could I just hold a polarized lense over the shutter of my cam, and use it that way, or will the pic get destorted ?

any ideas would be great
    cheers guys

Matt

what camera?

ive got a fuji s5500 and i bought a polerising lens for 10.
    it works great, stops the colours looking washed out in sunlight, helps remove/cut down the glare from the fish, and lets you take photos through glass.

Ged Guest

Polarizing lens/filter.
    Have had one for years. Can buy them in different sizes to fit camera lens. The one I have is 55 mm but I also have reducing/stepper rings so can use it on other lenses.

Essentil for outdoor photography. Clears up reflections and darkens the blue sky.

MarkTheSpark Guest

Beware what are called 'circular' polarising filters - they are for increasing colour saturation but aren't much cop for cutting reflected glare.

You want linear polarising filters, available almost anywhere but there are some bargains on ebay. You need to know the internal diameter of the thread on your lens - you can just measure it (carefully) or look at the manual or on-line to find out what that is.

When you get the polariser, you'll find it has a revolving end, so you can twirl it to the best position to cut out the glare

The Monk Guest

I must admit I uise the Cokin polarising filters in the holders and they appear to cut out the glare on the water, i`ve photographed things like bait and rigs in the margins for slide shows

Check which you can use as some autofocus systems will only work with circullar. I had this problem with my Nikon F90X Pro. They might have solved the problem by now though.

The Monk Guest

I turn the auto focus off to use polarisers, they will take the polarising effect off if turned in the wrong direction

MarkTheSpark Guest

Lenses with internal focussing (i.e. the lens barrel and filter doesn't revolve when you focus) are the best bet, and Bryan's right about the autofocus not being too hot through a linear polarising filter.

The revolving filter is a problem because a linear polariser needs to be at a precise angle to filter reflected light - it can filter any reflected light, horizontal, vertical and everything in between.

I know this sounds complicated, but it's not; you NEED an SLR but through the lens you can actually see the effect the filter has as you revolve it.

cheers for all the help guys.. very interesting indeed..

however, am I right in assuming all these screw in lenses n so on are for proper big pro cams with film n stuff, rather than digital cams ?

if so, can anyone put me onto a cam, the type of which you are talking about, of which I could get polarized lenses for ?

not too expensive though please.. these will only be for personal interests, rather than anything fancy or professional, so I dont need anything major, just one that will do the job nicely.

cheers guys

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast