Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How big would you say this fish was

I got it from Whiteacres a couple of weeks ago , took me well over 20 minutes to land as it was foul hooked and huge , I reckon 15lb and I have weighed quite a few fish , but in the picture it looks about 3, is the only way to get some sense of the real dimension to hold the fish ? I would rather keep the fish in the net having seen a lot of evidence of fish which must have been dropped at some point.

cheers

Default Re: How big would you say this fish was

Go for the classic shot of the fish in the net with the rod, reel and if applicable float in shot.
    Neil (PaSC Assistant Treasurer)
    "Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you. If he does not, why humiliate him?"

Benny, it's a tricky call without a reel or scales, etc., alongside the fish, also the thumb 'not known' distance doesn't help. Much easier if one of the above (excluding the thumb) are on the mat with the fish.
    Jerry
    PS Unless that is a massive net IMO 15lbs would be pushing it - I've got pics of tincas making a good job of taking up room in a 28" net.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

yes but they keep flapping around

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

You need some sort of reference point to give a sense of scale. Most of my trophy shots are "ground shots" but I always try to get a rod/reel or something in the shot to give an idea of size...without that its very hard as your pic proves. With only a thumb to judge it against I agree it looks about 3lb...its clearly bigger than that but I wouldn't like to guess how much bigger

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    Benny, it's a tricky call without a reel or scales, etc., alongside the fish, also the thumb 'not known' distance doesn't help. Much easier if one of the above (excluding the thumb) are on the mat with the fish.
    Jerry
    PS Unless that is a massive net IMO 15lbs would be pushing it - I've got pics of tincas making a good job of taking up room in a 28" net.

Yes completely agree but would you say this fish was 36 , or looks it ?

Stunning linear tops 13 carp haul | Coarse Fishing News | Angling Times | Gofishing UK

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    yes but they keep flapping around
    Leave them in the net,on the mat while you get ready.Keep the net "closed" ie with the fish stiill wrapped in the mesh. If it flaps then it can't hurt/damage itself. I carry a weigh sling for lumps but I mostly weigh my fish in the net,quick shot and then back in the water.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Stunning linear tops 13 carp haul | Coarse Fishing News | Angling Times | Gofishing UK
    Looks bigger...but its being held towards the camera

Benny, I find photos can be very misleading unless taken on a mat with a recognised tackle piece along side - I've got a pic of a 31lb 02oz river carp held for a pic where most people believe it to be bigger - I've also got pics on the mat of two 37 + and most seem to guess they are about right or smaller:
    Jerry
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

If that is a Match size net then i would say that the likely hood of that fish being 15lb is very very slim.
    It would be more like 8lb - 10lb perhaps, the reason for me saying that is, if it is say a 20" pan net then the fish isn't very long and it certainly isn't very fat.
    If you know the size of the net used that will give you some indication as to the size of the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by steph mckenzie View Post
    If that is a Match size net then i would say that the likely hood of that fish being 15lb is very very slim.
    It would be more like 8lb - 10lb perhaps, the reason for me saying that is, if it is say a 20" pan net then the fish isn't very long and it certainly isn't very fat.
    If you know the size of the net used that will give you some indication as to the size of the fish.
    Ha Ha I showed the photo to my son last night and said "that's the 15lb carp I foul hooked isn't it ?" He said "yes but it was only 12" "what ? .... What...?"

Anyway the fish was definitely over 10 but certainly doesn't look it.

Next time I will take the advice given here , lie the fish down partially covered by the net and get some scale into it.

Many thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast