ATTENTION ALL D300 USERS!

W

Wolfman Woody

FOOLS!

Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It matters not a damn to me Jeff.

But by crikey it is sure to send The Monk into apoplexies. In one stroke his street cred has been lost!

Oh dear what is he to do?

W

Wolfman Woody

I can see Mr Marsdern saving his coin once again.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
I think Nikon have really come up with a winner again. His 'n' hers DSLRs; D700 for him, and the compact sensor D300 for the ladies. Clever marketing.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
D700. You need to read the spec properly.

It's FX format like the D3,not DX. Buying one of those, like buying the D3, would mean a whole new set of lenses.

Not so foolish after all!

Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh!

tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif
tongue_out_smiley.gif

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Most people won't need whole new set of lenses, just to change their one DX standard zoom (17-55mm or whatever), and perhaps replace it with the old 24-85mm. All their telephoto, prime, and macro lenses will be fine. Don't forget of course that all Nikon FX bodies can run in DX mode too.

I'm still sweating over forking out for a D200!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Geoff Brown (AA, RAC, PMSL) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

Most people won't need whole new set of lenses, just to change their one DX standard zoom (17-55mm or whatever), and perhaps replace it with the old 24-85mm. All their telephoto, prime, and macro lenses will be fine. Don't forget of course that all Nikon FX bodies can run in DX mode too.</blockquote>

Course they can, makes you wonder why they make two sets of lenses,FX and DX,when you can swap between the two as simple as that.

Hang on though, maybe it's because they don't want to multiply the focal lengths of their existing lensesby plus or minus 1.5.

Which is why I won't be swapping my DX format camera for an FX format camera.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
With the exception of the entry level AF-S 55-200mm, Nikon only make DX lenses in the wide-angle format, because what is wide-angle on a full-frame or FX body (e.g. 35mm wide angle), is actually telephoto when mounted on a DX body (52.5mm telephoto, taking 28mm as 'normal'). Nikon don't make anyother DX lenses, no macros, no telephotos, no portrait lenses. And this is the problem.

You have to remember that Nikon still don't have a fast 'standard' prime lens for DX bodies (the AF 28mm f/1.4 was too expensive, and isn't a current lens). Apart from the AF 20mm, there are also no decent AF wide-angle (i.e. wider than 28mm) primes. There is also no decent portrait standard focal length lens for DX (say something around the 60-70mm focal length with an f/1.4 aperture).

Of course, all these lenses do exist for the FX format.

I too won't be going down the FX route just yet, but not because it's not better, it is.It's what we've been waiting for ever since the Prototype D1. I just can't afford to.

The Monk

Reaction score
Bol**cks, I`m sticking with DX, and why D700 for gods the nips, naw the D300s fine for the next few years at least, still the best EX 35mm format going/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Bol**cks, I`m sticking with DX, and why D700 for gods the nips, naw the D300s fine for the next few years at least, still the best EX 35mm format going/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

I see there's a firmware update for the outdated D300!

Almost as old hat as the F5/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Colin