Trout Poppers

nicepix

Reaction score
I have just found a file on my computer that I thought was long gone. A few years ago I used to do a bit of semi-pro photography and was asked to take some promotional shots for a type of trout lure that had been imported from the States. I was using a Contax RTS iii film camera that could take five frames a second. Here is a composition of the images:

And the one that is my favourite where you can see the track of the popper just before the trout takes it:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A magic instant captured forever. Wake lure fishing and popper fishing is a great way to catch fish even if it is not the most efficient it is the most exiting a great photo.

mick b

Reaction score
Great shots, thanks for sharing.

What price our old 35mm's now eh?

I donated all my bodies and lenses to a photographic student who's college required him to master the old techniques before he could progress onto digital.

nicepix

Reaction score
I kept one of each of the poppers I photographed for the catalogue shots. About fifty or sixty I recall, and a Vossler fly-tying vice as payment for doing the work. It took me absolutely ages to scan the slides, clean them up and then convert them into GIFF images so they could be floated over text or merged.

I used the poppers mainly for bass off the Humberside coast and for Large Mouth Bass in Cyprus. They were useful for perch too if twitched along the margins of weed beds or rushes. Same species really when you think about it. Very exciting fishing though and thoroughly absorbing.

I sold all my film cameras including the RTS iii, Contax G2 outfit, Mamiya RB67 outfit and a Linhoff field camera with a 6x7 back after suffering an eye injury that stopped my photographic career stone dead. Fortunately in some ways it saved me a fortune as the value of film gear plummeted almost as fast as the cost of digital pro' stuff rocketed. I've never really got back into it even though my eye has now healed enough for me to see through the viewfinder properly.

Here is another shot from the same product promotion:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Brings back memories of fly fishing these poppers for speckled trout on the Indian River in Florida. They were rubbish fighters but I loved fishing for them because of the method. Great shots.

nicepix

Reaction score
It was the same with the perch Geoff. You knew you had one on as there was less resistance than the popper produced :D

chav professor

Reaction score
Very nice... tough shot to make happen. Always looking for the perfect Chub shot taking a bait off the surface. BTW... would be awesome for Chevin... must take a look at lures this summer