A top tip

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good stuff, SS. Very important to keep lenses in good nick, as I once back discovered in the 35mm film era. I had three cameras with me on a 7-month South America trip, with one of them always carrying a 28 - 80mm zoom lense of an excellent make, whilst the others got a several different lenses fitted to them. All seemed well, knowing my cameras and lenses and exposures in all light conditions as I did, all appeared to be working fine.

Three months into the trip I met a Brit working in the area who was about to fly back to Britain on leave. He offered to carry mail for me and my companion and post it for us in Britain, which he duly did.

Several weeks later we got an urgent fax from my companion's father - "Lovely slides, you two, but some of them much too dark. Paul's camera has a fault, I suspect."

It had: the 28 - 80's iris was "sticking" - dust or worse probably. Couldn't trust it, couldn't get it repaired cheaply in Argentina, so stopped using the thing until I got home.

Wouldn't happen with today's digital photography, of course, being able to see what you had just shot, but I had a lucky escape - the five cameras we had between minus one lense got us the photos we needed.