DSLR

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Cakey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Woody would let you feel his /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif</blockquote>

That's true for you, Tee-Cee, seeing as you're only up the road.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Just as an aside....

Do any of you more(experienced)photographers ever use the Compact type of digital camera?

I know they do not come anywhere near the same picture quality as a DSLR but as a pocket type of camera they do have obvious advantages...weight for one!

If you had to choose such a camera(to cover the same spec as Tommo put out)which one comes closest to doing a fairly decent job?

I have seen a tv ad that shows an Olympic(?)compact being kicked around the garden so they do offer durability if nothing else plus they can have wide angle/mini zooms which offer some flexibility in use....

Anyway,thought it worth a mention as an alternative for Tommo(and me)-and apologies to Tommo for coming in on his thread!!

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
I recently bought my elder sister a Canon A720IS compact as a replacement for her old film (not analogue, and certainly not analog!) Canon A1 SLR. It takes quite a nice photo.

One step up from thisare the so called 'bridge' cameras, and a good example of this is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28. I'm just in the process of recommending this camera to my partner's mother.

C

Cakey

I use a sony cybershot 5 megapixel (built on to my phone ) takes some superb scenic shots

W

Wolfman Woody

I have a little Fuji compact that I can slip into my pocket. Takes up no room at all really. It goes into my roving tackle bag or comes with me when I'm filming (got some nice shots of St@nley B@xter a few weeks ago - can't release them - I'm under contract, sorry. Just for personal interest.)/members/images/6812/Gallery/DSCF2216_edited-1.jpg

I took this on it a few weeks ago. The actual is much bigger and I just cropped it.

The best ones at the moment are the Lumix, I think. For the best effect it should have a 28mm (eq.) lens at the wide angler and at least a 5 times zoom so you can get in fairly close as well.

The Lumix FX500 comes to mind for around £200. If you want r-e-a-l-l-y wide angle there 's a LX3 with a 24mm lens, but only 3 x zoom. The whole range is nice though and most with Leica lenses.

However, at extreme zooms, they're pretty well next to appalling for quality. Look for optical zooms and take no notice of digital zooms, they're pretty bad too.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Filming?

Filming?

Hmm, know of any post vacancies? (fully qualified all standards Umat & 1"C up toDigiB/D1/2/3/4 lol,just checking/5,standards convert/ratio converts/HD/slo-PALetc).

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Cakey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>blimey shes old google says he is 82 !!</blockquote>

He's looking OK for it though, Cakey. Supposedly retired when his wife died, but they just done this new programme for him. Might be out at Christmas, they usually were.<blockquote class=quoteheader>Geoff Brown (KLAA, YMCA, D.I.V.O.R.C.E.) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Filming?

Filming?

Hmm, know of any post vacancies? (fully qualified all standards Umat & 1"C up toDigiB/D1/2/3/4 lol,just checking/5,standards convert/ratio converts/HD/slo-PALetc).</blockquote>

/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif
I dunno what that's all about. I'm in front of the camera.

An oocasional supporting artiste.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Stanley Baxter-didn't he know Tommy Cooper?either that or he wore tartan and sang'Jimmy where's your troosers'......perhaps I'm confusing him with Errol Flynn....BUT he was definitley married to Mrs Baxter......./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

ps good info on the compacts-thanks for that!

Tommo!

Reaction score
Well I took the jump and ordered a D60 with an 18-55 VR lens.

With the £30 cashback and VAT free I paid about £250 give or take.

I am well chuffed and can't wait (don't tell me I could have got it cheaper because I think I am turning into a Yorkshireman with money and I don't think I could take it).

Thanks for all the advice as I now think I am some the wiser.

Tom

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Woohoo!

Now you browse FlickR, PBase, and all the other photo hosting sites and wonder in amazingat all the excellent shots your camera can take, but you can't...or is that just me?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
When i was a photographer we work on getting on good shot out of a roll of film.

Now we are digital you can shot as many shots as you like. Use diffrent angles and lens then analyse them and get somebody else to be critical. But remember dont ask if you can not take critisim. As everybodys view is diffrent as to what makes a good picture.

DZ

Reaction score
Wise word them Bryan

And like any forum based commenting- positive criticism never reads in a +ve way.