DSLR

Tommo!

Reaction score
I need to pick the brains of those that know as I am stumped.

I want to expand my fishing trips to include photography. God knows the fish aren't playing.

My dilema is that I have no idea where to start.

The first question is that of budget. I can go to £400 but would prefer not to.

The pictures I am going to focus on are:

Fish shots (self take)

Scenic views of the surroundings

Family days

Wildlife close ups

Your opinions are as always appreciated.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

For about £320 you can get a Canon G10 which is just about the best compact camera around.

Google it and read the reviews. And it's very easy to use.

As you progress you might want something more capable of profession shots. That means a Nikon D40 DSLR.

Remember, Canon for compacts, Nikon for DSLRs.

Tommo!

Reaction score
I was looking at the D40x as a starter.

Being 10.2 mega pixels it laughs at my current 5 meg fuji.

Is this a good starter? I have read that it is the lenses with the motor rather than the body. Will this reduce the after sales lens addons or am I being lazy with auto focus?

C

Cakey

sorry Ron for some strange reason missed half

must agree the D40 looks good

Tommo!

Reaction score
The D40x is the upgraded version.

My mate has a D40 but I wasn't too impressed with the zoom on the standard lens hence the question about after sales lenses and the focus motor.

Unfortunately he is overseas right now so I can't have an extended go to make my mind up.

Tommo!

Reaction score
A question about pixels, a lot of emphasis is on mega pixels, as you said the D40 is 6.1.

What will be the main difference between 6.1 and 10.2? The prints will be A3 max.

C

Cakey

It really depends on what you aregoing to use the picture for. If you are just taking everyday pictures that you are going to print at 10"x12", then you don't really need much more than 6 mp, but if you are planning on blowing it up poster size, or if you are going to be doing a lot of cropping then 10mp is the better way to go.

W

Wolfman Woody

Question to ask yourself, do you really want a proper D-SLR with exchangeable lenses?

Or would something like this do, the Fujifilm S100FS?

In some respects it's a bit limiting, but you have a long zoom lens with no need for any others and it certainly looks the part of a D-SLR (although technically it's not).

Don't forget, with a D-SLR, you have only just begun with the camera and first lens. The Canon 450D (the Rebel in the USA) is a cracker though, my daughter has one.

C

Cakey

new Nikon D3x is 25.5 megapixel

guess I might be buying a used 700 soon /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Tommo!

Reaction score
My other friend has on similar one similar (lower model) Woody.

I think an SLR is what I am after as a vast number of the shots I want to take will be while I am at work (dog handler) and I hate the delay on normal digitals as I always manage to miss the shot whereas 2-3fps I think would be ideal.

Hey I think I lied a little in my opening post. I know more than I first thought.

C

Cakey

the live view on the Canon is also better than my D300 in my opinion

Tommo!

Reaction score
Cakey you're not helping, I was just getting into the Nikon way of thinkingand now you come at me with this revelation, arghhhhh!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Canon every time in this price range.

Nikons are the best if your buget runs into the £1000's

Tommo!

Reaction score
Do any of you guys buy from american sites as it seems to me that the £ sign is just replaced with $. Is this false economy with hidden extras or is it the real deal. I ask because Amazon.com has some good deals. Canon