Nikons new D3X

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Think i will order one for my xmas present.

oh hand on i have to pay the bills first for the next few years. £5.500 i bet you won't see many of them about.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Did you sell that F5 [?] yet Monk??

It's worth even less now. I should hang to it for it's antique value, I reckon a tenner in around 25 years./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
naw still got it mate, I`ll keep it as a momument to film cameras I think

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Interesting that Ken Rockwell rates the D90 over the D300!

I bet you are all pleased you didn't buy the D300 now/forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

Happy Christmas!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

D90...........................

No ability to program the center OK button to zoom-in full-size in playback.

No options for JPG optimization.

No selection of NEF/raw characteristics.

No Shooting and Custom Setting Banks.

11 versus 51 AF points. I didn't miss the extra 40, which are just in-between points.

No AF Area Mode switch; need to call this up in a menu (easy if you use the FUNC button to get to My Menu, and put this selection in My Menu.

No PC connector for studio flash. No big deal, I use the pop-up flash to trigger my studio strobes, or you can buy a hot-shoe to PC adapter.

Can't program the Preview button to do tricks.

C

Cakey

No ability to use a custom prefix, like KEN_0123.JPG, for the file names.

No Mirror-up mode. This mode sucks in the D3, D700 and D300 anyway.

WB/ISO/QUAL buttons shared with other functions, but still easier to use than the hidden ones on the D3, whose locations date from the F5.

No option for seeing the Focus Point Selection in playback, but who cares?

No Intervalometer (automatic timed shooting).

Can't set ISO or exposure in full stops: ISO sets only in third stops, and exposure only in third or half stops.

No ability to change the focus and release priorities in the AF-S and AF-C modes.

No metering, finder read-out or EXIF data with manual-focus lenses. (buy a small light meter and a hot-shoe adapter if you can't use the LCD to guess exposure.)

No macho-man metal body, so the D90 weighs much less. The D90 has a metal lens mount.

C

Cakey

Maximum sync speed fixed at 1/250. (The D3, D700 and D300 can be set from 1/60 ~ 1/320 FP.) All these camera allow setting the slowest sync in P and A modes to any speed as slow as 30 seconds.

No compatibility with Nikon's 1970s-inspired wireless transmitter.

No compatibility with Nikon's expensive (like $500) Image Authentication software.

No ability to Save/Load camera settings and Picture Controls to an SD card.

No AF fine tuning, which I never use, and for most people, just lets then screw up a good thing.

No RESET option in Easy Exposure Compensation.

Only uses SD, not professional CF cards. This matters because SD cards don't come in professional speed grades, like Lexar 300x and 233x and SanDisk Extreme IV, and because SD card readers aren't available in Firewire to support those speeds. This means that it takes too long to download photos in the large quantities shot by pros. This is too bad, because the D90 is up to pro needs in every other way.

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
monk, sorry to jump in but if you could get in touch with Ron the Hat for me as Ihave lost his details etc, my new no., is 01327 700469 most oblidged Keith.

DZ

Reaction score
Top Bombing Cakes/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
spot on cakey, D300s rule, the D90 only has two digits after the D, how craps that

right got ya keith will do mate

D

Del

Of course the the 300 is a great camera, as the heart of the camera (the sensor) is made by Sony, it's the same one as in the Alpha 700. /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif