Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS

Blog Entries

I am looking at buying a replacment to my old Fuji Finepix digital camera.

Not really interested in 'professional' quality Nikons etc, asI only usea camera for record shots, landscapes and riverscapes.

I've been looking at the various models in the EOS range, and am becoming rapidly confused (I am not a techie) so any simple help would be appreciated.

PS,I opted forthe Canon as I can apparently use mySLR Canon lenses with the Canon digital - but I have also been told that you have to multiply the focal length by 1.5 (?) not sure why though.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
    Blog Entries

You can use the lenses, that's the reason I bought a Canon digital after owning a Canon EOS 5 35mm model. The Speedlight flashes are compatible also.

The multiplying focal lengths is because the digital sensor where the film plane used to be is a smaller surface area than 35mm film so it affects the field of view afforded by the lens.

I bought an EOS 350D a few years ago(I think), 7 million pixels. It does what I need it to do, it has a fully manual setting, auto settings of varying complexity and I'll never be blowing images up past standard 10x8 frame size so I don't need a higher resolution camera.

I'd concentrate on getting a resolution suitable for your intended use, the controls on the higher end models are intended for professional photographers, I don't use half the settings on mine even though I know what they're for.
    I believe in reintarnation - I'll come back to life as a hillbilly.

I opted for the Canon EOS 400 D, cash back etc and a good deal. 10.1 megapixels and you can shoot in RAW file, gives more scope and control over exposure etc. Still learning this though. Not as good as Nikon but then they are cheaper and the spec not too diferent. Also not as gutted if it gets damp, knocked or what ever as can happen when tacken fishing. I also got a remote for mine.

I still use my 350D which has been superceded by the 400D, 450D and 1000D all in similar price range but increasing pixels. All will do what you want at less than I paid for mine.

The kit lens is cheap and nasty ( a $10 lens) so you need better. Due to the 1.6 multiplier your 35mm lenses are OK towards the telephoto (200mm becomes 320mm) but not the wide angle. Whereas 28mm is modest wide-angle on 35mm that becomes approx 44mm on one of these digitals which is why you need something like a 17-70 for the digital ( I got a nice Sigma in that range for £200+ which has half size macro as a bonus).

I shoot in RAW which gives you a lot of control over processing. A remote is useful as well.

Wolfman Woody Guest

Am I right in thinking you will also lose autofocus and autoexposure by using old lenses?

Sad as it may seem I'd quit with the old lenses and get new ones. I have a fabulous Vivitar Series One zoom for the old Minolta camera, but time to say goodbye on that one.

The populist camera everyone seems to be raving about right now is the Nikon D90, but Canon have just brought one out similar, the 500D. They have full HD video features, might be nice to include in some FM features in future?????

Splash out and get a good one Peter, you can afford it. You waste enough on those expensive garden canes after all!

Forgot to insert daft smiley thingy first off so [img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]

Jeff,

EOS lenses are compatible. You just can't use digital lenses on 35mm cameras - mirror hits back of lens.

Wolfman Woody Guest

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Wintle wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Jeff,

EOS lenses are compatible. You just can't use digital lenses on 35mm cameras - mirror hits back of lens.</blockquote>

Aghh! He can afford to buy brand new anyway Mark. The man's dripping with money!

[img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

He only needs sell that old Barder and a couple of others and he can afford some class kit.

[img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]

Blog Entries

Thanks to all for the information, nowI understand about the lenses too, so I guess that is why the digital cameras come with the 18-55 m/m as the 18 now serves as the good old fashioned 28 m/m for wide angle work.

Jeff,

This month I have already splashed out on two new Sage fly rods and an Abel reel, soI am being a little bit 'careful' on the camera.

As I said, I am not in the 'pro' range and agree with Paul that I'd rarely ever use half of the features on the Nikons etc. That said, Graham's Nikon is very 'pretty'

Mark,

The sigma lens sounds like a good idea, thanks.

PS - Jeff,I am being buried with the Barder just in case there is an angler's heaven!

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Wolfman Woody Guest

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

PS - Jeff,I am being buried with the Barder just in case there is an angler's heaven!</blockquote>

Be useful in case you find Heaven is &quot;the garden of The Lord&quot;, he might be able to use it for his runner beans!

[img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]

Anyway, they aren't the &quot;pro&quot; range, just the top end of the &quot;Switch it on and let it do it all for you&quot; range. Nothing too challenging there for you, Peter. Just good models.

[img]/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]

Blog Entries

&quot; . . . . . he might be able to use it for his runner beans!&quot;

You have no soul Jeff so you are unlikely to ever find out . . . .

After reading all the notes above, I settled on the EOS 450D and went out and got it before lunch.

Thanks to all.

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast