Nikon D80 V Pentax K10D

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
That's just about right. Reflected light waves are like wiggly lines, if you like, but orientated in differing directions depending on the surface they are reflected from; in other words, some waves are moving up and down, some side to side, and all the angles in between. Polarising filters selectively remove light travelling in a certain plane, like THIS The diagram shows a linear polariser, aligned horizontally, cutting out all but the vertical waveforms. Think of it as a venetian blind, if you like. To cut out light reflected from water (which is what you want to take pictures of fish) you have to line the filter up accordingly. That's why linear polarisers have rotating mounts.
A circular polariser has a secondary layer to reorientate the light so the meter and autofocus can work better. But they will give strong colour saturation, which is the most impressive and useful effect for most photographers.
Regards ND filters, with the range of ISO and shutter speeds available to digital cameras, they shouldn't be necessary; you can always use a polariser as a 1-stop ND! They were to help in the old film days when you have a half-used 400ASA in and needed to slow things down a bit. Now, you just change ISO. I can see there may be some creative effects you might get with ND, but it would rank very low on my priorities.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Oh, I forgot to cover grad filters. These only introduce a graduated tint or ND and the same effect can be duplicated by layering in Photoshop. Actually, the effect can be much, much better in PS

Last edited:

heathbryant45

Reaction score
Ive been looking today at the G1 and very impressive it is too. Then i couldnt help myself and looked at the GH1 with full HD recording mode. The fact that my new TV and home cinema system is Panasonic is a bonus as its a simple setup connection with Viera link. Trouble is its double the price of the G1 but i'm dead tempted.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/G+Micro+System/DMC-GH1/Multimedia/2146705/index.html?trackInfo=true&mmView=video&number=1&size=m

DMC-GH1K-K_1WebA1001001A09B27A65428E30462.jpg

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
Lumix G1

Some great information there Kevin, a bit too late for me unfortunately as I've already forked out on a 450D this weekend.

You can obviously see where I'm coming from and why the task of getting a camera that fulfils the criteria for producing good quality shots for general photography but also performs as a user friendly,quality angler camera.

The device I've bought for use with the Canon should make it possible for me to press once on a remote cabled shutter release which I've preprogrammed with a self timed delay for the first shot then a predetermined number of shots to follow.

Using an unhooking mat with a velcro secured top flap, (I use the cradle type but I'd imagine any decent mat with a secure flap will do) means that the fish is looked after while I can check the photos taken are ok and then return to do shots of the other side.

I tend to do the measuring up for the tripod location before dark and then mark the spot with something like a bivvy peg. The camera then sits in the bivvy atop the tripod ready for use.

Hopefully this set up will prove in practise to be as good as it is in theory.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Slightly off subject but on the self take front; No longer made but no doubt available s/h or tucked away in a store room somewhere is the Konica/Minolta A200 with a fully articulated lcd and Infra Red remote. It also has 2 self timer settings.
Pleased to say it's my camera of choice and has been for getting on for the last 5 years.

lcdout.jpg

3q-001.jpg

Paul B

Reaction score
Brilliant explanation of polarising filters Mark, thanks. I'm not that au fait with PS, I bought the ND grads for landscapes as I read the olympus' sensor had a poor dynamic range and a tendency to wash out highlights(sky, clouds). I've not had a lot of chances to play with them yet though, i usually bracket the shots with a bias to exposing more for the highlights.

I might get a decent shot one these days:)