Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Nikon D80 V Pentax K10D

Have had a few compact type digital cameras which have mostly been reliable and the picture quality has been acceptable but this year I've got a bit sick of juggling a pair of polaroids in front of the lens when photographing fish in the water.

I'm guessing that a DSLR is the way to go so that I can use a polarized filter but once I started looking into things all sorts of different specifications and differences came to light. Sure there are entry level models from them all but will I be satisfied with them long term if they're missing something that I'm going to find useful in the short term?

Lens compatibility, dust removal, shake reduction, live view etc

Now, I am looking at something which will take my photography to another level and I do have a little experiece with SLRs from years ago so I am prepared to play and learn. As well as being able to do my fish, nature and landscape photography I'll be wanting to do self take trophy shots as well.

The reason the Pentax is an option is because of it's weatherproofing seals (among other reasons) and I had originally been looking at the K20D but to be honest I can't afford one. Both the D80 and K10D would have to be second hand realistically but do I need to get something that good?

All advice and recommendations gratefully appreciated.

Blog Entries

Get a Nikon D40X to start off with. They are highly rated and ideal as a DSLR entry camera. You will probably be able to afford one of these new.

Forget Pentax stuff for goodness sake. Not in the same league as Nikon.

Blog Entries

You don't think its worth pushing to a D60 then Ron?

Jessops are pushing them out for £399 at the moment.

Blog Entries

Get the best you can afford.

Happy clicking.

two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    Thanks Cakey

I'm watching that deal at the moment, still weighing things up according to reviews and recommendations. Still interested to hear any other opinions from users of the cheaper DSLRs

There seems to be a lot of Canon 350/400/450s about. Are they worth a look or are they just popular because of the name and marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Frankish 2 View Post
    Thanks Cakey

I'm watching that deal at the moment, still weighing things up according to reviews and recommendations. Still interested to hear any other opinions from users of the cheaper DSLRs

There seems to be a lot of Canon 350/400/450s about. Are they worth a look or are they just popular because of the name and marketing?

they're popular because they do some things better than the equivalent nikon, but other things not as well.

what i can say is pro wildlife photographers tended to use cannon rather than nikon because they had a better selection of lenses for wildlife photography.

if you are looking at a dslr you need to decide what lenses you're going to be using before you get the camera as once you've made the choice you're pretty much stuck with it. and decent glass is going to be setting you back 500 quid to a grand.

your other option is a bridge camera which will work out massively cheaper than a dslr, but you will only get one lense to do everything.

you can put filters on a bridge

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Frankish 2 View Post
    Chris,

I bought the Cannon 450D a few months ago and have been very happy with it. A good selection of lenses and Cannon do a very good speedlite flash as well, I bought the 430 EX II.

I have found that it covers everything I need to do, record shots, riverscapes, landscapes and portraits. It is very easy to use, light (lighter than the equivalent Nikon) relatively compact and excellent quality.

In the past I used Cannon A1's for all of my SLR photography and the older lenses do fit the 450D, so when changing to digital, (and with the help of a lot of FM members) I opted for the Cannon.

At the last FM fish-in one or two Nikon owners were very impressed with the Canon.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I was ..............................
    two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left !

Blog Entries

All the suggested cameras are good, but Chris's selection of the Pentax was also a good choice - it gets rave reviews for the quality of the images it produces, and the lenses seem to me to be cheaper without being rubbish.
    A used D300 might be a good buy if you can find one - more robust than the plastic Nikons.
    But if I were you, I'd tow around the secondhand shops looking for a good, top-end wideangle-to-80mm-ish zoom lens in ANY lens mount, then buy the body to go with it. So often I've seen people blow their wad on the camera body and end up with a naff lens (like the hideously bad Nikon 37-70 f3.3 or some Cosina rubbish).
    Lens first, body second. BTW, the Nikon 18-55 gets great reviews - get a bundled deal with that stuck on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast