F1, thinking of getting one, anyone use primes for night shooting

captain carrott

Reaction score
ere mr monk ave you any experience of sigma 170-500mm lenses and if so what do you think of em.

The Monk

Reaction score
yes I use one mate, had it a few years now, I find it quite good in the right conditions, it should have a tripod mount on the lens itself, but you can only really use it with a tripod and its about 2K cheaper than a Nikkor.

This is it,

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3276&navigator=3

I use it for birdwtching, the only problem is when they close the curtains, if you pull it out to the full zoom it really looks impressive and improves your street cred no end

Last edited:

captain carrott

Reaction score
yes I use one mate, had it a few years now, I find it quite good in the right conditions, it should have a tripod mount on the lens itself, but you can only really use it with a tripod and its about 2K cheaper than a Nikkor.

This is it,

Sigma - Lenses

I use it for birdwtching, the only problem is when they close the curtains, if you pull it out to the full zoom it really looks impressive and improves your street cred no end

i've found one with a canon 400D pus battery grip for 500 notes you see and me other half is considring investing because neither of our bridge cameras can hack the job we're trying to use it for. in fact i now have an impressive collection of out of focus or just too far away to see clearly snaps of bullfinches take with my s7000.

so it looks like i'll be upgrading once i've found some one who's organs i can harvest in order to be able to afford one.

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Hey Captain,

Have you thought about digiscoping with your s7000? A decent scope will set you back a lot less than a prime lens. Ideally one with a 20x mag eyepiece, but mine has a 32x mag. Fixed as opposed to zoom eyepieces are preferable. There are plenty of adaptors out there for attaching the camera to the telescope, and you end up with a staggering effective focal length. Have a look at Eagleeyeuk.com for adaptors, and Birdforum.com where they have a section devoted to sale of second hand equipment (including scopes) and another with information about camera set up for digiscoping. You have to join Birdforum, to access the information, but it is free.

Regards

Colin

The Monk

Reaction score
I have a KOWA TS-4 scope Colin, one of the best I`ve put my cameras through it but they are not as good as camera lenses proper, the optics inside a scope are designed differently

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Well, you've seen a photo of my set up, on the old forum, and, in fact, you commented on it. I have to confess though, you are right about fine quality from a proper lens. Have you seen Sigma's latest zoom, 200 - 500mm f2.8. Only trouble is that it costs £19,000 all but a few pence.

The Monk

Reaction score
Well, you've seen a photo of my set up, on the old forum, and, in fact, you commented on it. I have to confess though, you are right about fine quality from a proper lens. Have you seen Sigma's latest zoom, 200 - 500mm f2.8. Only trouble is that it costs £19,000 all but a few pence.

thats a lot of brass mate, way beyond anything I could afford, has Graham got one haha

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That's even more Ludicrous that the Dunk Mug that Cakey wants to buy for £14,99p, for a mug that holds your biscuits FFS :eek:

SV, you have to remember that 'our' Monk is in fact one of them there overpaid civil servants, so money is no problem to him in the habit . . . .

Also, I thought that the mug that Cakey wanted was fairly priced . . . . compared to over 1200 quid for a new Barder split cane rod, that is . . . .

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
£14.99p that only holds 3 biscuits max is totally rediculous, you could buy 2 mugs for £4.00p fill one with Tea and the other with biscuits, and still have change too.

You Southerners, have way to much dosh ..................... :p

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

1200 quid for a manky old Tomato Grower :eek: excuse me while i spit swear words at the atmosphere :D

captain carrott

Reaction score
This man has no 'soul' - Keeper, set the dogs on him . . . . . . .

i couldn't agree more.

with him that is.
Canes are for growing beans and tomatoes up not making rods out of

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Hey Captain,

Have you thought about digiscoping with your s7000? A decent scope will set you back a lot less than a prime lens. Ideally one with a 20x mag eyepiece, but mine has a 32x mag. Fixed as opposed to zoom eyepieces are preferable. There are plenty of adaptors out there for attaching the camera to the telescope, and you end up with a staggering effective focal length. Have a look at Eagleeyeuk.com for adaptors, and Birdforum.com where they have a section devoted to sale of second hand equipment (including scopes) and another with information about camera set up for digiscoping. You have to join Birdforum, to access the information, but it is free.

Regards

Colin

fistly i already got a scope, but there's o way it's up to the job and there's no wy i could afford another one.
it's my other half that's getting the camera as she has some money,.

secondly i'm aready a member of the site you mention.

The Monk

Reaction score
SV, you have to remember that 'our' Monk is in fact one of them there overpaid civil servants, so money is no problem to him in the habit . . . .

Also, I thought that the mug that Cakey wanted was fairly priced . . . . compared to over 1200 quid for a new Barder split cane rod, that is . . . .

hmmm, underpaid more like, I`m that skint at the moment Peter I don`t know where my next JEM is comming from???

captain carrott

Reaction score
hmmm, underpaid more like, I`m that skint at the moment Peter I don`t know where my next JEM is comming from???

nah skint is like me don't know whee the next meal is coming from and wondering whether to use this tenner to put in the gas meeter of get some milk so i can have a brew.

oh an i would appreciate it if you would do me a really massive favour mr monk.

now me other half is thinking about getting herself an DSLR bt neither her nor me knows ****** all about using em. would you by any chance give her a little instruction in how to use the thing when she gets it pleeeeeeese.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
nah skint is like me don't know whee the next meal is coming from and wondering whether to use this tenner to put in the gas meeter of get some milk so i can have a brew.QUOTE]

Use it on neither - buy a couple of large JD' and get them down yer neck and you won't mind about not having tea or gas.

captain carrott

Reaction score
nah skint is like me don't know whee the next meal is coming from and wondering whether to use this tenner to put in the gas meeter of get some milk so i can have a brew.QUOTE]

Use it on neither - buy a couple of large JD' and get them down yer neck and you won't mind about not having tea or gas.

methinks that not putting i in the gas meter and sitting here gurgling like a new born may result in a weekend in the shed when the mrs gets back from work.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
methinks that not putting i in the gas meter and sitting here gurgling like a new born may result in a weekend in the shed when the mrs gets back from work.

Ah, yes, marital bliss, I'd quite forgotten what that was all about . . . . . oh, now I remember; compromise, so, put a fiver in the gas and have just one large JD?

Thats what me and the monk might have done, but then we can total 7 marriages between us . . . LOL

[insert smiley thing > > > > > HERE]