Spod line braid or mono??

peterdd

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently spoding (small skyliner) with ESP spod braid, casting particles 30 - 40 yards (not far) but have had a number of crack offs!! Which is really annoying seeing at the skyliners are in short supply!

I am now considering switching to mono, I use to use gardner gr80 12lb when carping, pretty much I could have hauled in trees or forests with that stuff.

But(!) what to do? I know from reading mono is commonplace within the spodding fraternity (as much as waking up half the lake), but the obvious choice seem to be try another braided line..

So I trun to thee, any advice re esp spod braid, or braid v mono in general for spodding.

Ps it's not the leader or knot that cracks off, it's further up the line.

Cheers
Peter

Reaction score
I on occasion use the mini skyliner,I cast up to seventy yards with 12lb mono and up till now i've never uad a crack off with it,in fact if that occured to me I'd rip the stuff off double quick...

bezzer

Reaction score
I cast a large Spomb 40+ yards using 15lb Mono (Daiwa Sensor) and haven't had any crack offs.

I'd switch if I was you.

chevin4

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently spoding (small skyliner) with ESP spod braid, casting particles 30 - 40 yards (not far) but have had a number of crack offs!! Which is really annoying seeing at the skyliners are in short supply!

I am now considering switching to mono, I use to use gardner gr80 12lb when carping, pretty much I could have hauled in trees or forests with that stuff.

But(!) what to do? I know from reading mono is commonplace within the spodding fraternity (as much as waking up half the lake), but the obvious choice seem to be try another braided line..

So I trun to thee, any advice re esp spod braid, or braid v mono in general for spodding.

Ps it's not the leader or knot that cracks off, it's further up the line.

Cheers
Peter
I use 30lb Whiplash but with a 50lb Power Pro leader tied double grinner had no problems. Normally use a Nash Dot which I fine casts better than the normal Spomb and seem to be better made.

fishface1

Reaction score
What Chevin said....

A floating braid of 20lb coupled with a heavy braid shock leader (50lb) is the way to go if you are putting lots of particle out. Get a finger stall if you are whacking it out beyond 60yds.

Mono will slowly take on water, stretch, and generally be less accurate than braid in the long run.