Evening match tactics

Reaction score
When I fished Alders farm I found if you fed more than eight pellets you ended up with a shedful of carp foul hooking becoming inevitable,after catching a hundred of the dopey things I gave up and went to sleep behind my mate...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Was interesting on Monday, frugally feeding I couldn’t get a bite. Putting a cup of micros in, I had fish everywhere. After a short while they all left again and back to square one. They were feeding as a shoal was the impression I got.

Reaction score
I think micros aren't necessarily the answer,commercial carp like noise,and 4/6/8mm make that patter,4 or 6mm is my norm,they get very preoccupied on small baits...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Another method if allowed is tap the surface with tip of your pole to create sound of pellets going in and then lower bait in slowly.Or fill kinder pot with water, tip it and trickle water in and lower bait in.
Both methods create sound but the only visible bait is the one on the hook.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If things are slow, you could try forcing one side of margin swim by dump potting bait in, it is chancey but can work.
Another is with say half hour to go,make some noise on your peg as if you are packing up, and throw some bait in either in margin or just in front of you, and then look for swirls or the water clouding up.And then fish over it, Just don't throw all your bait in as has been known to happen. Fish in commies have an idea how long matches are,

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I’m fishing in less than 2ft of water here! Tapping or rattling in hard pellets are not options in my experience. It’s mainly carp not F1s.

Situation faced was dead swim with sensible feeding versus swirls and carp everywhere when cupping in.

As I have said, normally paste would be my go to method in these circumstances, however in practice paste was a recipe for pushing your trolley in and taking up golf!

My changes for Monday are:

taking worms as hookbait
Kinder potting only for the first hour, only getting the cupping kit out if desperate
And setting up 2 rigs in the same margin one a bit further out in slightly deeper water

And, most importantly, enjoying it again!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If things are slow, you could try forcing one side of margin swim by dump potting bait in, it is chancey but can work.
Another is with say half hour to go,make some noise on your peg as if you are packing up, and throw some bait in either in margin or just in front of you, and then look for swirls or the water clouding up.And then fish over it, Just don't throw all your bait in as has been known to happen. Fish in commies have an idea how long matches are,
Fishing 6-9pm, I thought fish would feed freely in the margin throughout, as for over 12 months the fishery has been closing at 6pm. Matches on here finish at 4 or 4:30om I think.
Weirdly, or perhaps understandably, fish came into the margins but were clearly spooking at that time, totally unused to bait going in at that time perhaps?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I think micros aren't necessarily the answer,commercial carp like noise,and 4/6/8mm make that patter,4 or 6mm is my norm,they get very preoccupied on small baits...
I fish margins for F1s like that but hardly ever for carp. Micros, groundbait or hemp in the edge for me when carp are the target species, unless it’s a deep margin.

Reaction score
I'm talking small amounts of hard pellet,two feet is good,often micros are now decisive enough for carp,doesvdepend on the venue,perhaps a trip to the same swim to try it...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
An update on this 4 matches in….

Match 2 fished a bit harder after heavy rain and I put 33lb on the scales for 4th place again, though only 6 fished.

Match 3 I got in the frame with a 3rd place with 45lb, just 2lb behind second and was pleased with my progress.

Match 4, last night, a certain Jamie Hughes, turned up at the draw, obviously looking to get Saturday’s Fishomania out of his head.

I stuck with my tactics and put 54lb on the scales, happy with that. Some other decent weights about 92lb, 87lb and 78b all ahead of me so it fished well.

As for Jamie? Well the venue record is 205lb for a 5 hour match. So if you measure just how good this fella is against that, he weighed in 338lb. In 3 hours! An absolutely awesome display of angling.

A pleasure to be there to witness such angling prowess, brilliant.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Heard Yew Tree is fishing well at the moment.
Yes it’s a fantastic little fishery. Match weights often consist of huge bags of silvers alongside carp.
That display by Jamie Hughes last night though, on a completely different level, outstanding.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yes it’s a fantastic little fishery. Match weights often consist of huge bags of silvers alongside carp.
That display by Jamie Hughes last night though, on a completely different level, outstanding.
I believe so, all you need now is Andy May and Steve Openshaw turning up and there's the first 3 places more or less guaranteed. ?

mikench

Reaction score
If carp can tell the time, recognise the size of pellets and discern different noises, its small wonder I struggle! Clever blighters.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If carp can tell the time, recognise the size of pellets and discern different noises, its small wonder I struggle! Clever blighters.
At this venue they swim around basking in the sun, slurping at stuff floating on the surface.

Then when the keepnets go in, every single one of them disappears and you don’t see one near the surface during the match!

I’m not sure they’d win Mastermind but they’d certainly give Pavlov food for thought!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If you follow the results at Partridge his name regularly crops up. His consistency in North West match fishing over many many years is great, just thought you might have known him?
Not fished a match at Partridge for a couple of years, Used to fish Brookside ,Stu Conroy and some other top names fished there,
Have you fished any matches at Cheshire Oaks ?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Not fished a match at Partridge for a couple of years, Used to fish Brookside ,Stu Conroy and some other top names fished there,
Have you fished any matches at Cheshire Oaks ?
Phil Barwell won his lake at Partridge again today!
Cheshire Oaks, not fished there yet, though did go for a gander when it first opened, it’s on my radar. Looks a good set up and some decent weights coming out.
I’ve only fished the 4 evening matches at Yew Tree and 4 on holiday at Docklow Pools (won one!) since returning to fishing.