Exploring Fenland

D

Dave Coster

STRANGE NAMES

I had driven over the North Level Main Drain at Tydd Gote many times, always too busy to stop on the way to visiting family who used to live close by. I eventually arranged to fish the wider match stretch at Sutton Road Bridge, which runs down to where the drain ends at Foul Anchor. I quickly discovered I had been missing out, catching a load of roach, perch, skimmers and bleak on a 5-metre whip, while a mate caught a brace of cracking tench. I went back and found a proper slab-sided bream on the pole, later in the session bagging up with quality roach on hemp and tares. It turned out there’s lots you can do on this prolific venue, which early season often throws up big weights of bream. I found out that travelling back in the other direction from where the waterway finishes at the tidal Nene sluice, there’s another 10 miles to explore, as far as Clough. Another wonderfully named section I came to visit was called Black Dyke.

BAIT OPTIONS

Drain fishing is not much different from canals, but comes with less bankside disturbance and fewer boats. Similar bait menus work, such as dark groundbaits, maggots, casters, pinkies, worms and squatts (if you can get them). Hemp and tares are also worth a try, especially late summer when elderberry bushes are bearing fruit, which is always a good pointer when seed baits will be most effective. Feeder tactics are mainly used on the lower and wider part of the North Level Drain where I first fished, while on narrower sections pole tackle dominates, although a light waggler cast over to the far side rushes is also worth considering. Small bleak and rudd can be a nuisance at times, hence the hemp and tare approach being a good option. Lobworms fished over chopped worm and caster shouldn’t be ignored for big perch, while for other species sweetcorn or pellets are other good ways of getting through to them when small fish are active.

THE MAZE

I quickly discovered it isn’t easy finding many sections of the numerous drains that network their way across fenland. It’s mostly a case of exploring the back roads looking for bridges, which are the most obvious access points. Another option is studying Google satellite maps, a job that unearthed this section at Black Dyke. Even then I went sailing past first time because a road sign was positioned the wrong way round. Then you have to drive down farm tracks, hoping to find fishable water at the end of them, praying you don’t get bogged down. But when you do come across miles of reed-lined drain, it all somehow seems worth the effort. On my first visit to this stretch I caught the biggest perch that’s ever graced my landing net, also enjoying lots of bites from quality roach and the odd skimmer. The only person I saw all day was the bailiff and it was only £5 for a day ticket, or in my case £12 for a season. I couldn’t complain about that.

SCRATCHING THE SURFACE

The biggest problem when trying to get to know what to expect from drains, especially the lesser-known ones, is finding out what they hold fish-wise. You can get odd snippets on the internet, but most clubs that hold fishing rights are not brilliant when it comes to updating their websites, or even telling you what’s on offer. Mostly you have to discover the potential yourself, although I have found bailiffs very helpful. The main hurdle with drains is the huge shoals of fish they hold tend to migrate with the changing seasons, so if you are not aware of this you can experience great days and dire ones. That’s what happened to me on several return visits, where fabulous fish like this had gone completely. Another issue with some of these waterways is the levels are dropped several feet in the winter to avoid flooding surrounding farmland, so you need to find the deeper stretches to have a better idea of where the fish are likely to end up.

FEATURE FINDING

Many miles of the fens are featureless, so bridges, sluices, culverts, moored boats, weed beds and junctions with other drains are all obvious fish-holding spots. But even on straight sections you will find slight variations that can flag up potential. It only needs to be an overhanging bush, landing stage or thicker area of far side rushes to make a difference. Higher banks can be awkward to fish, but are often where big shoals congregate in the winter, providing good shelter. Built-up areas are always a good winter bet because they normally have features, making a better haven from cormorants, mink, otters, zander and pike. Waterfowl get regularly fed by the public in these areas too, which attracts fish. The railway bridge to my right in the accompanying photograph is on the Maude Foster Drain north of Boston. There’s a busy road behind and houses on both sides running into town where the biggest catches are normally made.

GOOD MARGINS

Since getting back on drains over the past few years, I’ve discovered fish often hang around the weedy margins, which in many areas is probably the only cover they can find. On several venues I’ve tried searching the deeper water down the main channel and couldn’t buy a bite there, but trickling bait closer in, or tight over to the far side has often produced loads of action. When using the pole I like these stubby floats for margin work, particularly a chopped worm/maggot/caster approach. I use finer-tipped models for punched bread and hemp in deeper water further down the shelf, although most of the drains I’ve fished don’t have such pronounced slopes as canals, which see more boat traffic. Many drains have steep banks, which makes it tricky unshipping long poles, so if there isn’t too much drift or floating surface weed I tend to use a waggler to explore the far bank. People often give me strange looks when I set one up, but it works.

INSIDE OUT

Having explored several different drains over the past year, an interesting pattern has emerged. Unless lucky enough to sit on a shoal of bream, or a nest of tench, it has been a case of working swims hard to gain a response. An old canal trick works wonders, and that’s to feed up the far side with catapulted casters or maggots for at least a couple of hours, while searching the water closer in. A great way of pulling bites on the inside is to regularly feed small balls of dark groundbait laced with chopped worm and a few casters, starting with red maggot on the hook. Once perch arrive I try worm, finding this natural bait works wonders, especially in areas that don’t see much angling pressure. If the bites keep coming, I loose feed a few casters too, trying these as the session progresses. Caster pulls big bonus fish like skimmers and tench. Once I go over on the waggler, if anything is out there, this method produces straight away.

FORGOTTEN PLACES

Not all drains are featureless stretches of windswept water, as you can see here. This is the Hobhole, a few miles outside Boston. Nobody much bothers with it these days, so I went exploring and discovered some interesting looking spots. The far bank on both sides of a road bridge offered plenty of tree, bush and reed cover. I spent half a day driving down rough farmland roads to find this place, afterwards checking on the internet, but there was no information about it. When I first visited, the drain was flowing like a river, being run off hard. I drove further along it and eventually came to a pumphouse. The guy working there explained they were running water off due to heavy rain the previous day. He told me the place was stuffed with fish, but hardly saw any anglers, apart from the odd piker. I returned to have a go a few days later. It was harvest time in the surrounding fields, with heavy machinery making it an unusually noisy experience.

INTERESTING FIND

The main problem with the Hobhole Drain is finding access points. The banks are like a jungle along much of it. I discovered a few comfortable swims by a bridge, but hadn’t bargained for combine harvesters rolling up and working on the fields behind, along with all sorts of heavy farm lorries and machinery rumbling along a nearby road all day. I imagined this spot was normally very peaceful. It was a strange session. I found the waterway a bit deeper than expected, with hardly any underwater weed to worry about. I had nice overhanging bush cover on the far bank and thick reed beds on my side. I started down the middle in the deepest water but couldn’t buy a bite there. Odd fish were topping closer in, so I set up a short pole rig to fish on-the-drop style, feeding small balls of cloudy groundbait. I caught well like this, mainly a good stamp of roach, rudd, perch and hybrids. I kept trying further out, but that inviting looking area never produced.

ANOTHER BRIDGE

More exploring of the back roads in fenland unearthed another interesting off-the-beaten-track venue: Leedsgate Bridge on the South Holland Drain. The accompanying photograph shows the west side of the bridge, where the water is narrower, but to the east side there were 15 cut-out pegs, around 12 metres wide and with 6 feet of depth. Both banks were heavily lined with reeds and the water had a bit of colour when I went there with my mate Andy. I had discovered this spot a few months previously when it was still cold, struggling for a few small fish, although I did lose something big that wallowed around on a light rig for ages. I suspect it was either a tench or big perch, but the tiny hook I was using to conjure bites lost its hold. On my return visit I fished a pole in the deep water and tried my trick of pinging casters over to the far bank, intending to switch to the waggler later. I caught roach, rudd, hybrids and perch closer in.

ELASTIC STRETCHERS

After a couple of hours I went to see how Andy was getting on. He was fishing a longer pole line than me and had caught a few small skimmers, along with rudd, hybrids and roach. His float was showing up plenty of indications. The next time it disappeared his pole elastic shot out as something jet-propelled sped off down the drain. The fish charged about a lot more erratically than the one I lost on my first visit, turning out to be a surprise common carp of around 3lbs. I went back to my swim just as the bailiff arrived. It was £6 for a day ticket, £12 for a concessionary club book, or £21 for full membership, all very reasonable considering many more miles of drain fishing is offered by the Holbeach and District Angling Club. The bailiff told me there are double-figure carp, also sizeable bream, but in both cases you have to search around to find them. A local had bagged 50lbs of proper slabs recently and much bigger weights are not uncommon.

SOMETHING DIFFERENT

I’ve covered lots of miles exploring the drains around the Boston, Holbeach and Wisbech areas over the past few years, feeling I have only scratched the surface so far. It takes time to get to know the hotspots and where the fish shoal up at different times of the year. I’ve caught some cracking big perch and fair-sized bonus tench, along with nice bags of silvers. The bream shoals have proved to be more elusive, but I’m getting a better picture of where those fish are known to show, also how shoals of silvers migrate fair distances and where they tend to end up. It’s not easy fishing but I always enjoy a challenge. The fenland drains are visited by fewer anglers these days and a lot of areas are less accessible than they used to be. But the fish are still there, requiring a bit more work to find them. I finished this session with another one of those South Holland carp, a few bigger hybrids, and one or two bonus perch. All very enjoyable.

The post Exploring Fenland first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

John Aston

Reaction score
You are making me very nostalgic about my Lincoln days , long ago . When I moved there , I had my first car and , armed with a full set of OS maps , I explored my second favourite county on close season evenings after work. Such names - Whipchicken Fen, Tanvats , Barlings Eau , Timberland Delph , Billinghay Skirth, the lovely Upper Witham and Brant upstream of Lincoln , the River Bain and and so many more lost , empty and silent waters under that huge Lincolnshire sky .

I only wished I had taken the time and trouble to fish them all . If I were there still I'd be out with a light backpack , a dropshot rod and a head full of dreams of giant perch in forgotten places .

nottskev

Reaction score
These articles are super for showing/sharing details of waters, as well as the top advice on tackle and methods. Taking a drive and then a walk to find places to fish has always been part of the fun for me, and the OS 2.5" to the mile maps or Google Earth are good places to start.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've fished many of the drains DC and Greyson mention.
Fascinating places under that big big sky.
One memory amongst many was during the first winter of the miners strike.
A miner friend was a keen pike angler and asked if I would have a weekend trip to Martins delph that runs into the Witham between Kirkstead bridge and Tattershall bridge towards Boston.
We arrived an hour before dawn as past experience had prooved any bait was very likely to produce a run resulting in a pike, and so it prooved with both of us taking a fish.
Perhaps we need not have bothered as thro out the day we had several pike each, I think a 15 lb fish was the biggest that day, they were definately up for it as niether of us could remember a day when we had taken more.
Anyway, come evening we drew in our lines and retired to our very close together bivvies, well, not like the ones today but an overly large Hutchinson brolly with Nash stormsides attached, old style bedchairs and a £4 Asda sleeping bag (lol).
My friend had taken a huge chinese wok and was soon preparing a meal that he'd prepped the day before, it was one of the best I ever remember that I ate on a bankside.
We sat sat chatting for an hour then he suggested we go to the pub nearby, saying our kit and tackle would be ok (who's going to walk two miles up a fen drain in the dark in wintertime?).
So, in the car to the pub we went, only the one tho!
Back on the drain my friend produced a bottle of home made wine as a nightcap where we did it justice by emptying it before we got our heads down for the night feeling somewhat p- - - - d!
Come the early hours I needed to answerr a call of nature and exiting the bivvy I was surprised to find that it had snowed with two inches laying around but looking north there was the biggest brightest moon whos' light illuminated the drain making it appear like the longest ribbon of silver!
I thought at that moment that folk in the village had lived there all their lives but never saw what I was looking at at that moment, beautiful, that veiw remains with me always!
The next day we never had a run from a pike.
They must have known that the weather was going to change!!

Last edited:

Dave Coster

Feature Writer
Reaction score
I'm glad you all get the same buzz I do exploring the largely forgotten fenland drains and rivers. No matter what species you are after, there is always a sense of mystery, especially these days when nobody really knows what to expect. I was lucky enough to meet up with Ivan Marks several times in the distant past, when he told me about Reedy Bay on the Witham above Tattershall Bridge, one of his favourite haunts. I've been there a few times since moving close to the area. Not so productive now but it was great having a go where the match legend once graced the banks. No bream, but I did lose a good tench at the landing net. Very weedy.

flightliner

Reaction score
I'm glad you all get the same buzz I do exploring the largely forgotten fenland drains and rivers. No matter what species you are after, there is always a sense of mystery, especially these days when nobody really knows what to expect. I was lucky enough to meet up with Ivan Marks several times in the distant past, when he told me about Reedy Bay on the Witham above Tattershall Bridge, one of his favourite haunts. I've been there a few times since moving close to the area. Not so productive now but it was great having a go where the match legend on graced the banks. No bream, but I did lose a good tench at the landing net. Very weedy.

Dave, years ago the Witham seemed to be (to me at least) match angling central with big events along much of its banks every weekend between Lincoln and Boston, some thirty six miles of both banks is a lot of anglers!
I loved it, I'd be there most weekends in some match or other, pub, working mens club or works matches, even the odd open.
But it was'nt just the Witham but many of the drains you mention.
I had success on several, the forty foot, the Hobhole, the Sibsey trader, the North level at Tydd Gote, the Coranation cut (loved that water) alongside those on the Witham, Trent and Ancholme. (sadly not the wide Welland)
Even sat next to Ivan on the odd occasion, the first during one of the old eastern counties winter league matches on the middle level.
Even had the late great Billy lane in the next peg once! (less said about that one the better (lol).
In the main tho there were so so many excellant fenland anglers it was a privelige to rub shoulders with them.
Happy, exciting days, would happily go back to them in a flash!!
Ps, you fished the Sincil drain yet or the North Drove that runs parallel to the Welland??

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
The names of those mentioned are very nostalgic. Names I read about living down South. I now live in "Bomber County" and am now fishing some of those places but with ageing and only one life time I can only scratch at the surface of those nearest. Lincolnshire is such a big county. It takes me at least an hour when going southwards to get out of the county and I dont live in the most northerly part. Even on the local weather news they talk of rain in the south. They dont mean "down south" either. Just Grantham etc.

The fishing is very expensive here though. I pay as much as £15 per season for some books. :D

Dave Coster

Feature Writer
Reaction score
I haven't fished the Sincil Drain yet, but thanks for the mention. I will check it out. I'm also looking at the Steeping River, which looks like a drain.

flightliner

Reaction score
The names of those mentioned are very nostalgic. Names I read about living down South. I now live in "Bomber County" and am now fishing some of those places but with ageing and only one life time I can only scratch at the surface of those nearest. Lincolnshire is such a big county. It takes me at least an hour when going southwards to get out of the county and I dont live in the most northerly part. Even on the local weather news they talk of rain in the south. They dont mean "down south" either. Just Grantham etc.

The fishing is very expensive here though. I pay as much as £15 per season for some books. :D
Pete, Shhhhhhhhhh??.

SouthLincsAngler

Reaction score
Interesting article! I cut my teeth on the Hobhole - had many good nets of bream!

I can remember when the 1999 Embassy Division Three National was changed from the River Witham and short notice dues to concerns about catches and instead local Boston drains were pegged instead which included the Bargate Drain, Sibsey Trader, West Fen, Hobhole, Boston West and the South Forty Foot. The indivual winner was pegged on the Hobhole and weighed 121lbs with the next peg producing 105lb. Weights of 50-80lbs were recorded from pegs nearby.

The Hobhole made a big name for itself on the back of those weights but with access limited because of the steep banks, the fishing never really took off on there. To a few of us, the weights were no shock - we knew all about the bream shoals and had the pleasure of frequently meeting them when we night fished,however we kept our catches quiet!

There are some very good pegs on the Hobhole if you know where to look - access isn't bad either! The summer used to regularly produce 20/30lb roach and skimmer nets on seed baits for us too......Fond memories!

SouthLincsAngler

Reaction score
I haven't fished the Sincil Drain yet, but thanks for the mention. I will check it out. I'm also looking at the Steeping River, which looks like a drain.
The Steeping is a river - much of it's free fishing but Spilsby AA have the rights to one stretch but you'll need to remorgage as it's £5 yearly membership! lol

@Clive

Reaction score
Dave, years ago the Witham seemed to be (to me at least) match angling central with big events along much of its banks every weekend between Lincoln and Boston, some thirty six miles of both banks is a lot of anglers!
I loved it, I'd be there most weekends in some match or other, pub, working mens club or works matches, even the odd open.
But it was'nt just the Witham but many of the drains you mention.
I had success on several, the forty foot, the Hobhole, the Sibsey trader, the North level at Tydd Gote, the Coranation cut (loved that water) alongside those on the Witham, Trent and Ancholme. (sadly not the wide Welland)
Even sat next to Ivan on the odd occasion, the first during one of the old eastern counties winter league matches on the middle level.
Even had the late great Billy lane in the next peg once! (less said about that one the better (lol).
In the main tho there were so so many excellant fenland anglers it was a privelige to rub shoulders with them.
Happy, exciting days, would happily go back to them in a flash!!
Ps, you fished the Sincil drain yet or the North Drove that runs parallel to the Welland??
By, those names take me back to the summer league matches fished by a local WMC fishing club. I had forgotton many of those venues, but it has all come flooding back.

First Lincolnshire place I fished was the River Glen at Pinchbeck. Three 14 year olds on a weeks holiday from Barnsley. These days our parents would be locked up for allowing that. Great roach fishing on the Glen just outside the B&B. Then a bus ride into Spalding and another along the Welland to the big bream pegs gleaned from the match reports in the AT.

There's a lot of watter in Lincolnshire we used to say.

John Aston

Reaction score
MY favourite Lincolnshire haunts were those small rivers running through agricultural landscapes under a huge sky, where you'd hardly ever see another angler . The Upper Witham at Norton Disney and Bassingham was a joy for stalking summer chub, as was the Bain , over to the east near Horncastle (which I poached shamelessly ) and the tiny Barlings Eau .

It's decades since I moved back north and it is extraordinary to think that my old fishing mate John Shucksmith had a 14 -10 barbel from the Upper Witham - they were just rumours when I was there . That said, if I still lived there I guess I'd be chasing even bigger barbel(and chub and zander ) on the Trent. which was essentially roach and stickfloat stuff when I was a local.

flightliner

Reaction score
MY favourite Lincolnshire haunts were those small rivers running through agricultural landscapes under a huge sky, where you'd hardly ever see another angler . The Upper Witham at Norton Disney and Bassingham was a joy for stalking summer chub, as was the Bain , over to the east near Horncastle (which I poached shamelessly ) and the tiny Barlings Eau .

It's decades since I moved back north and it is extraordinary to think that my old fishing mate John Shucksmith had a 14 -10 barbel from the Upper Witham - they were just rumours when I was there . That said, if I still lived there I guess I'd be chasing even bigger barbel(and chub and zander ) on the Trent. which was essentially roach and stickfloat stuff when I was a local.
Interesting that you know "Shucky" have fished with him on and off over the years.
He lives so close to the upper Witham he can almost fish it from his back garden.
Lovely guy and an angler with an impressive angling background.
Here's a catch of Roach from the upper Witham at Dry Doddington.

Attachments

• IMG_20230110_121738_edit_2422270648066.jpg
    IMG_20230110_121738_edit_2422270648066.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
I was reading about fishing in the Trent in the Long Eaton area around 1908. They were catching dace and chub fly-fishing, barbel up to 7lb on greaves and worms, and roach over 1lb on wheat. There were two reports of a 7lb chub being caught. By the time I fished in the 70's it was all roach and chub, possibly because we only ever trotted maggots.

The upper Witham is still producing some monster chub. Not sure about the barbel though.

flightliner

Reaction score
"The upper Witham is still producing some monster chub. Not sure about the barbel though."
Clive, I have'nt fished the upper Witham for several years now but a friend who lives nearby fishes it on a semi regular basis and tells me (along with other users) that the chub have been ottered, the few that are left are big if you can locate them.
As for the BB he tells me he thinks they have dissappeared altogether.
I used to fish a short reach at Claypole where I once encountered a big BB on a simple link ledgered sweetcorn bait, I played it for a few minutes but it managed to swim around some old floodbank supports that had fallen over and my line parted.
That same day I located a big shoal of roach on a gravel shallow where I took my biggest upper Witham roach of 1lb - 15oz.

@Clive

Reaction score
My friend sight fishes for the chub when conditions are suitable. He has had them to over 7lb, but not many.

Talking of strange names, Whaplode in south Linc's is named after the old English term for waterway containing eel-pout or burbot.