Mullet spinners...

Reaction score
Just spent a couple of hours making up 9 mullet spinners,removing trebles,putting a sliding pennel hook with silicon tube,and a fixed end hook for mounting pieces of ragworm...

nottskev

Reaction score
Just spent a couple of hours making up 9 mullet spinners,removing trebles,putting a sliding pennel hook with silicon tube,and a fixed end hook for mounting pieces of ragworm...

Your Upper Lea continues to amaze me.

Reaction score
20220122_175701.jpg

There you go...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That's good, I see what you done, I wasn't sure if you used a fly spinner or a mepps and I wasn't sure what you meant by a sliding pennel. I can see it clearly now. Should work, I knew a chap once that used to use a fly spinner and a hook about 2 inches from it with a marsh worm on it. These he used to collect from the banks of the Cuckmere. He used to catch a lot of mullet. I was fishing a couple of times and wrapped a bit of silver paper around my hook, the mullet would follow this as I reeled in so, definitely something that gets them interested. I believe red maggots can work as well instead of worms. The only thing I am wondering is are your hooks too far from the spinner but, I do not know, the thing is see how it fishes when mullet are around and adjust if necessary. Thanks for that, I will be having a go for them come the summer in the river. get over this winter, something to look forward to.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m a bit confused; if the hooks are trailing behind the Mepps on the retrieve wouldn’t it prevent the Mepps blade from spinning around?
Or are the hooks kept well away from the Mepps using your silicon tubing for a boom?

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I’m a bit confused; if the hooks are trailing behind the Mepps on the retrieve wouldn’t it prevent the Mepps blade from spinning around?
Or are the hooks kept well away from the Mepps using your silicon tubing for a boom?

Keith
The blade is spinning above the hook length, should work like a mepps normally does, it can't slip below the grommet.

Reaction score
Apparently it must be fished on as slow a retrieve as possible,the mullet is attracted by the vibration of the spinner,then sees the prize,a piece of juicy ragworm...