Youtube fishing video.

Reaction score
I agree he is a good angler and several of his vids are excellent....

steve2

Reaction score
I find with every you tube video I try to watch the fast forward button gets plenty of use. I find fishing so boring to watch,I tried to watch Passion for Angling recently and found the fast forward was very useful. Not what I remembered it to be.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've just finished watching a video by a what sounds like an Eastern European guy,his channel goes under Andrews Knots,the video was about slider fishing in moving water for,bream,chub and barbel,I found it interesting,he seemed to know his stuff,although his fish care for barbel was a bit iffy and his landing net pole,poor,was enjoyable and worth a watch,from what I can see he has over 190 other videos on youtube,so something different....

I watched a couple a while back where a bloke matching that description a) caught barbel on the float b) waded up the river casting a float rig upstream and letting it come back down (!!) and caught chub after chub without, iirc, feeding anything. I wonder if we've been watching the same bloke? Some of the Polish anglers around here are really adept at catching pike and perch on lures from the Derwent, and there's one bloke who gets some good chub from a very hard little river on weird little plug type things, called crank baits, I think. You can find some eye-opening stuff on youtube amongst the copycat stuff.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I was sent a clip of Jon Arthur fishing Lodge Farm a place where I have fished a few times,
He was paste fishing near the margins, Looking closely at it I have an idea where on the pool he was fishing, There are no numbered pegs on this particular pool, just natural places to fish from.
I have fished very close to where he fished and also had a fair few carp on soft pellet, I will try paste when the weather picks up.
He has also done a couple of vids on the Oxford canal
These are the only you tube vids I have seen.

rayner

Reaction score
I just about exhausted youtube in the lockdown trying to find a watchable clip, strange really because I don't like fishing films no matter how short. There was one or two that I put up with. I was going to say that I enjoyed but that would be pushing it. Videos that were a little more were boat fishing on the sea.
Now I have even more so have dislike of watching anglers of any genre or ability, I can not think of a worse thing than watching someone fish.
Lockdown caused me to try and find some vids to fill my time, the music was the worse part of some of the angling clips I viewed. Why do the filmmakers have to hold their catches saying I'll hold it up for you, not for me you will not mate.
If I wanted to watch poor angling I could film myself.

Reaction score
Checkout IP fishing,especially the last offering,unbelievable,nice down to earth guy,who can fish a bit,I havent caught what the guys name is,but he seems familiar to me,have a watch and enjoy.

nottskev

Reaction score
I looked him up, Alan. The dude was calm, had gear the average oldie could carry, and was using a cf reel to run a stick float down a tasty small river swim. He wasn't wearing the motley of the sponsored wannabe or camouflaged like a Russian on the Ukrainian border, and he didn't try to sell me anything. So thanks, I'll check out his other videos.

Reaction score
His most recent video has two amazing fish from the H.Avon...

Philip

Reaction score
His most recent video has two amazing fish from the H.Avon...

I hesitate to post this as they are fabulous fish and a great catch by any measure …but… does anyone have any comment about his weighing procedure ?

Perhaps I didn’t see it correctly on the video but he appeared to zero the scales without the carrier bag then wetted the bag and weighed the fish in it.

Judging by the size of the carrier bag he was using I would guess when wet it could add several ounces onto the weight of the fish.

Does it matter ? …well that’s up to the captor to decide. For me it would.

Reaction score
It has been mentiioned to me by Mark Wintle and it would not be the way I would do it,but if you wet a plastic bag,then shake it out the weight wouldnt be 8drms different(I know I have done it,forgetting to damp the bag after zeroing the electronic scales)but you would think he would have thought about it too....

Philip

Reaction score
I am glad someone else noticed Alan. Obviously we will never know for sure but IMO judging by the pastic bag he was using and the way he dipped and shook it your talking about alot more than 8drams.

I know like me you have a set of Electro Samsons and I know for a fact that even the flimsiest plastic bag carrying a tiny bit of water can add an ounce or more on. His bag was more robust and it would have had a fair bit of water on it.

Another point. I also note he was using flyweights which I have a set of ...they are well known for needle drift at the slightest touch. 9 times out of 10 when I use those I have to re-zero the scales afer putting them on the ground and just before weighing the fish. He also laid them face up so the zeroing wheel agaisnt the ground. He did rapidly re-check his scales after picking them up again & said they were still zeroed so I guess we have to give him the benefit of the doubt there. Mine would easily drift -usually upwards- in that situation and could add another half ounce or so unless you checked really closely.

Anyway I know this sounds picky & they are a great catch but if someone wants to know what a fish weighs exactly then they must zero the scales to the wet bag epecially for small species like Roach were every ounce makes a difference.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Agreed the lightweights are something that rarely weigh the same when laid on their face let alone the side with the zeroing dial...

rayner

Reaction score
Aren't all fish weights no more than little guesstimates, scales can not be calibrated every time they are used?
Anglers aren't really that bothered, are they?

Reaction score
Gary,if I didnt do my best to be as accurate as I could,I wouldnt even bother weighing them and to be honest I wouldnt go fishing without a set of scales,though I probably use scales on very few of my fish,usually only fish that look over a set weight for the species,or out of pure interest,but zeroing the scales is a major part of being right...

rayner

Reaction score
Not to be a pedant but, scales being zeroed are nowhere near calibrated. Do not get me wrong I accept that anglers are truthful with their weighs.
I have not weighed a fish since my trips to Ireland in the early nineties and if I were to weigh a fish now it would be on my old Avons. there's no way after all this time that the weight could be right, It would be near enough for me.

The bad one

Reaction score
If you check your scales for accuracy often as I do, then they ain't going to be very far out of the imperial standard of weights and measures.
So how do I check them?
We have a set of metal weights for Counterbalance Scales that range from 2 oz to 5lbs and in total they make up 20 lbs. I zero the weigh sling and run the wights through my scales to the full 20 lbs. That tells me, depending on what the scales say, whether they are weighing light or heavy. If they are far out either way, then I'll buy a new set.....End of!
Oh and I don't and wont buy digital scale as they have a propensity to fail in cold whether. So mechanical are the only ones I'll buy.
Now you could argue that how do I know the weights are correct blah blah blah and all metal by shedding atoms become lighter........Get a life really, even Weights and Measures don't go that far and I dealt with them for over 25 years when I worked in the Meat Industry.

fishface1

Reaction score
I carry (at least) two sets of scales. One the dial type and the other digital(s).
I normally get a rough weight with the dials and then if it is a special fish,cross check with the digitals. For me, the digitals are more precise.

Sling is zeroed on scales, and then fish added. There will always be a small amount of water transfer,but I believe this to be within acceptable tolerances.

I don’t send my scales off for calibration, but regularly check them against known weights. Outside of lab conditions, this I think is as good a weigh (see what I did there?) of doing it as any other.

Philip

Reaction score
A word about digitals. I resisted these for a long time for exactly the reasons Phil mentions above which is the risk of inaccuracy due to battery life & tempreture. A low battery indicator is not enough either as the error could already be happening before any indication is given and for that reason I had stayed with mechanical scales. However last year I took the plunge & got a set of Electro Samsons, they are not cheap but I choose them as much for the good feedback about battery life as well as for their accuracy.

Having used them in anger for a while now I like them. I have not changed the battery yet and they are still spot on against my test weights even after freezing in the boot of my car all night. Jurys still out longer term but so far they have been faultless. I just wish they were smaller !!!...absolutly no reason I can see for them to be as big as they are other than ergonomics for non anglers who don’t have to lug em about all day.

rayner

Reaction score
It appears everyone has a set of scales that are bang on. Yea right. Scales only give a rough idea, why that is not good enough I have no idea.
It is not like anyone is trying to claim a record.
News flash personal scales can never be accepted for record claims.
Guesstimates are good.
Fish scales have to be certified to be right.
I do not use my Avon scales now it is over 25 years last time. I never once thought my scales were anything other than a rough idea.

The bad one

Reaction score
It appears everyone has a set of scales that are bang on. Yea right. Scales only give a rough idea, why that is not good enough I have no idea.
It is not like anyone is trying to claim a record.
News flash personal scales can never be accepted for record claims.
Guesstimates are good.
Fish scales have to be certified to be right.
I do not use my Avon scales now it is over 25 years last time. I never once thought my scales were anything other than a rough idea.
Correction, mine are as good as I and anyone else can make them.
I do fish waters that hold record fish, so yes they need to be as accurate as they possibly can be.
If and when I was fortunate enough to catch a record fish, I'd weigh it on my scale, ring a couple of mates to come and witness it and weigh it on my scales and their own. Report my catch to an official of BRFC and I personally know 2 of them. Submit my scales to the local Weights and Measures Dept for authentication. On acceptance of the verification by WMD, I'd then making a formal claim in writing with photos Affidavits/witness statements from all concerned.
When NASA/SACG then SAA ran it own record list, it had several reps in each area of the country, who would if available, turn out to witness record fish claim(s) I happened to be one of the reps for the Northwest of England for a couple of years.
Sadly I was never called to do the honours.
So there you go have a root through the bones of that!

PS and here's the BRFC's notes on making a claim

Last edited: