Date: 23/03/02
Time fished: 17:15hrs to 21:15hrs
Weather conditions: Cold easterly wind air temp 10C
Water conditions: very choppy
Water Temperature: 10C
Bait: Sprat for pike, sweet corn & bread for roach
Method: Ledgering dead bait for pike & swing tip for roach
Results: Blank
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Very cold wind, this basin is very exposed. Too windy to spot clear patches, will have too rake a swim next time and play with popped up dead baits. Need to get my mind around canal fishing for the next 3 months, however, it's a very pretty canal.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Non-navigable section top end
Date: 23/03/02
Time fished: 05:30hrs to 11:30hrs
Weather conditions: Very cold first part of morning air temp 1.1C
Water conditions: some ebb and flow, not clear as normal
Water Temperature: 8.8C
Bait: Worn, sweet corn and bread
Method: Laying on at first then onto swing tip, second rod quiver
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Got into a good tench as I was setting up the second rod and it took advantage of the situation and dived into the reeds, couldn't shift it and after 5 mins. lost it. No more bites after this but there was plenty of movement an bubbles.

J

john conway

Date: 30/03/02
Time fished: 05:00hrs to 11:00hrs
Weather conditions: Warmer than Good Friday air temp 5.5C warming up by mid-day
Water conditions: some ebb and flow, not clear as normal
Water Temperature: 8.8C
Bait: Worm/sweet corn cocktail
Method: Swing tip, second rod quiver
Results: 3lb-1oz & 2lb-10oz Tench
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Got into a good tench almost imediately but the bloody reel fell of my rod, this is not the first time that this has happend with my John Wilson Avon rod. Got the reel back on but after a brief struggle lost the fish. No problem with the other two fish. There was plenty of movement and bubbles all morning.

J

john conway

Date: 31/03/02
Time fished: 06:00hrs to 12:00hrs (British Summer Time)
Weather conditions: Rianed all morning air temp 11.1C
Water conditions: some ebb and flow, slightly choppy
Water Temperature: 10C
Method: Swing tip
Brief description of the session and any remarks: No movement in the reed, very few bubbles and only a couple of line bites.

J

john conway

Date: 06/04/02
Time fished: 06:15hrs to 11:15hrs
Weather conditions: Very very windy, air temp 6.1
Water conditions: Very choppy
Water Temperature: 9.4C
Method: 2 rods both on Swing tip
Results: 4lb Tench
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Nice morning but wind made it difficult fishing.

J

john conway

Date: 09/04/02
Time fished: 17:45hrs to 20:45hrs
Weather conditions: Slightly overcast air temp 18.5C
Water conditions: Calm
Water Temperature: 12.2C
Method: Swing tip
Results: 3lb - 6oz Tench
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Roving about but nothing doing until last hour before dark. Lost one landed one, however, a guy fishing the pole hit 9 and landed 6 Tench in about 2 hours.

D

Dave Johnson

John, change of method could be on the cards then.......

J

john conway

Date: 13/04/02
Time fished: 05:15hrs to 09:45hrs & 18:45hrs to 23:45hrs
Weather conditions: Morning session very cold frost on ground but sunny and warm later on, air temp 0.5C first thing. Evening session slightly cloudy air temp 9.4C
Water conditions: very clear good flow south
Water Temperature: Morning 7.7C Evening session 10.5C
Method: 2xrods Swing tip and free lining
Results: Morning session blank evening session 2lb - 4oz Tench & 5lb - 12oz Grass Carp
Brief description of the session and any remarks: A lot of fish movment in the morning but by 9:00 the sun very bright and the canal started to get busy. Evening session on my own everything quiet, but no visible fish movment. The tench came first in daylight to free lined worm & sweet corn cocktail. Got bust with one grass carp about 21:00hrs landed one at 23:00hrs which was very exciting in the dark on a very narrow canal.

J

john conway

Date: 19/04/02 - 20/-4/02
Time fished: 18:00hrs to 07:00hrs
Weather conditions: Bright and sunny clear night air temp 12.7C dropping to 1C @ 03:00hrs
Water conditions: Calm and clear slight flow south
Water Temperature: 14C dropping to 12C
Method: Two rods Swing tip, 1 free lining the other bolt rig.
Results: jack pike and 7lb - 2oz Grass Carp
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Caught the jack on the first cast as my sweetcorn and the small blob of ground bait, which aids casting while free linning, hit the water and sank. Grass carp came about 23:00hrs. Matt whom I was fishing with landed a 7lb-10oz shortly after and at 01:00hrs a 8lb-04oz grass carp.

J

john conway

Date: 27/04/02
Time fished: 19:00hrs to 24:00hrs
Weather conditions: Very changable, heavy showers, very bright when full moon was out. Air temp 7C dropping to 5C @ 24:00hrs
Water conditions: Not as clear as usual slight flow south
Water Temperature: 14C
Method: Two rods Swing tip, both free lining.
Brief description of the session and any remarks: 21:00hrs got bust on 8lb braid, 22:15hrs lost another good fish after a brief struggle , hook straighten out, frustrating but exciting? Must try harder? Note when full moon was out canal went dead, when it clouded over fish started to move.

J

john conway

Date: 04/05/02 to 05/05/02
Time fished: 19:00hrs to 07:00hrs
Weather conditions: Changable, had been sunny at times during the day. Air temp 8C
Water conditions: Loads of floating weed, slight flow south
Water Temperature: 11C
Method: Two rods Swing tip, both free lining.
Results: 1lb - 8oz eel
Brief description of the session and any remarks: By the time I'd realised I couldn't free line it was dark and I couldn't see to pop a conventional ledger into margins (fishing large basin) where the tench had been waving thier tails.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Non-navigable section top end, differnt peg to last nights session.
Date: 05/05/02
Time fished: 19:00hrs to 24:00hrs
Weather conditions: Changable, had been sunny at times during the day. Air temp 11C
Water conditions: Loads of floating weed, slight flow south
Water Temperature: 15C
Method: Two rods Swing tip, one free lining, one link ledger both using PVA bags with trout pellets and sweet corn.
Results: 5lb - 10oz grass carp
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Loads of bites missed and one grassy lost before landing one @ 23:45hrs which put in a very good performance on how to close a swim down for an hour or so.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Tewitfield & Foley Farm
Date: 30/12/02
Time fished: 11:00hrs to 16:30hrs
Weather conditions: Overcast windy and very cold
Water Temperature: Not taken
Bait: Floating plugs and Sprats
Method: Spining and dead baiting (sink & draw)
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Spent 2 hours spining at Tewitfield Locks then after a pint we moved down to Foley Farm area. I was fishing with the son-in-law and niether of us had a knock. However, talking to chap and a young lad, just before we packed in, the young lad had just landed a 15lb plus pike, thier only fish of the day.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Non-navigable section between top lock and m6
Date: 06/03/03
Time fished: 16.00hrs to 19.00hrs
Weather conditions: calm,air temp 11 then 7.5 on leaving
Water conditions: calm slight tow towards lock
Water Temperature: not taken (will do in future)
Bait: scopex flav sweetcorn
Method: float lift method
Results: blank
Brief description of the session and any remarks: had 2 text book lift bites, missed 1 hooked other (3lb ish carp/tench?)lost in unseen(but bl***y removed now!!)submereged wire wine rack thing.lot of fish moving,least i know there about,try to get back on mon or tues for a moning/eve (fair weather bloke these days (hate the wind).

alan strickland

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Non-navigable section between top lock and m6
Date: 09/03/03
Time fished: 16.00hrs to 01.00hrs
Weather conditions: very windy heavy showers 10c
Water conditions:rough tow with wind towards m6
Water Temperature: 9c
Bait: sweetcorn/pea cocktail
Results: 4lb ish grass carp
Brief description of the session and any remarks :different swim from last time to get a bit of shelter from wind,nothing moving and no bites until 23.00 missed 2 good(but very fast)bites then hit 3rd went off like a rocket,landed it in rain 100 yards up canal.great fighters these grass carp 1st for me so PB,no scales with me but about 4lb (fight a bit like a 5lb roach would)nothing after but i was well happy.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Date: 10/03/03
Time fished: 16.00hrs to 23.30hrs
Weather conditions: very windy heavy showers untill 21.30 then calmed a bit 8.5c 10c on leaving
Water conditions:rough tow with wind towards m6 ,tow back to lock after 21.30
Water Temperature: 10c
Bait: tutti frutti flav black eye/pea cocktail
Results: 2lb 4oz bream and 11lb 8oz mirror carp
Brief description of the session and any remarks :fish moving all over place in calm periods and loads of bites/line bites hooked into bream just after rain stopped at 21.40,had no idea what it was until i landed it put up a great fight and killed the swim for a good hour, nothing moving again until 22.30 then a great sound of a carp slurping away somewere up the canal away from me towards lock(i noticed the ripples 1st thought it was ducks)looked up to see my float so far up in air i thought it was stuck in tree,struck and after a real nice 20 min fight(maver jarrasic match handled it very well) had a PB mirror of 11lb 8oz.cant beleive it 2 PB`s in 2 night`s down on canal! drove home with grin on my face and the fantastic stench of carp all over me.Cant wait to get into a good grassy as the 4 pounder last night gave as good as the 11 mirror tonight.On way back to car could still hear the slurping so there`s at least 2 in there.8)

thanks for all the info john hope to see you down there soon.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Non-navigable section top end diff stretch as fed my original swim up and left it quite for maybe later tonight.
Date: 11/03/03
Time fished: 5.00hrs to 9.00hrs
Weather conditions: a few gusty showers 5c rising to 7c
Water conditions:rough slight tow against wind towards basin at burton svs
Water Temperature: 8c
Brief description of the session and any remarks :got smashed into weeds after only bite of morning,was a good fish (carp/tench)and headed straight for reeds couldnt control it and lost it.no movement at all anywhere i looked this morning.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Date: 11/03/03
Time fished: 18.00hrs to 22.30.00hrs
Weather conditions: calm 8.5c > 7c was cloudy when arrived but by 19.00 it was clear with bright moon
Water conditions:calm no tow or weed
Water Temperature: 8c
Brief description of the session and any remarks: no movement or bites(no liners)was going to stop till about midnight but gave up at 22.30 no cloud cover looking likely,marked differnce from last night`s overcast showery conditions with fish moving in most areas.will have another go this weekend.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Non-navigable section top end new strech nearer stainton
Date: 16/03/03
Time fished: 5.45hrs-10.00hrs/18.00hrs - 22.00.00hrs
Weather conditions: calm 14.5c > 6c was warmest day of year so far,full moon in clear skies at night
Water conditions:calm no tow or weed
Water Temperature: 10c
Bait: tutti frutti flav black eye/red maggot cocktail
Results: moning 2lb 5oz tench/1lb9oz perch
eve blank
Brief description of the session and any remarks: really nice misty mornng loads of fish moving ,lot of small stuff jumping(maybe pike perch chasing)got into my 1st tench of year at 7.30hrs(had a lot of leeches on it i removed ones around its gills and eyes) perch came at 9.00 but was getting the same bite for about 30 min before i hit it good scrapper.
eve fish were around but not feeding only line bites,when full moon got high in sky nothing moved..