Barry Edney

Section of Fishery or river stretch:Main Lake
Date:25th April 2002
Time fished:8:30am to 7:30pm
Weather conditions:Sunny periods, south-westerly breeze, 18C approx
Water conditions:
Water Temperature:
Bait:Corn over Pellets
Method:Float six inches over-depth (this may have been the wrong approach as I missed quite a few bites!)
Results:11 Tench to 6.8 (PB), 7 Bream to 6.0 (PB), 5 Crucians to 3.8 (PB) and 1 small Carp 4.0
Brief description of the session and any remarks:I visit Old Bury Hill once a year around springtime but never had any significant results. The odd fish here and there, but no big bags. This time was different. I booked a boat and fished in 'The Jungle'. I started off by laying a carpet of pellets about 4' from an over-hanging bush. I tried strawberry corn on the hook to start with but didn't get a touch although I knew tench were in the swim from all the bubbles that were coming up. I then tried Meaty Fish Bites. I had a few touches on these but nothing really confident. So I tried some paste that I had made up. Unfortunately the consistency was all wrong and didn't stay on the hook. Next it was the turn of The Jolly Green Giant. First cast, as soon as it hit the bottom the float sailed away. It was now about 11.30 and the first fish to grace the net was a crucian about 1.8. From then on it was a bite virtually every cast. I finished with 23 fish, 3 of which were PBs. It was a great days fishing, (one of my best ever!) and I don't think I will be waiting until next Spring to make a return visit.

M

Martin Scullion

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Main Lake
Date:01/03/03
Time fished: 07:30 - 17:00
Weather conditions: Mainly dry up until lunchtime whereupon it lashed down
Water conditions: Fairly coloured
Water Temperature: not taken
Bait: coarse deads/lives
Method: Ledgered & Float fished dead 7 lives
Results:
Nil, Nada not a sausage, however nobody else was catching either !!. Maybe the Pike & Zeds have started to think of spawning.
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Tried several different swims, ranging from the shallows to the deeper areas with a singular lack of success.

M

Martin Scullion

Date:16/03/03
Time fished: 07:30 - 18:00
Weather conditions: Clear blue sky and blazing sunshine - 11-12 degrees at a guess
Water conditions: Fairly coloured
Method: Ledgered & Float fished dead & lives
Results:
one small jack at about 2lbs & two dropped runs probably from cagey zander. Have had no luck for a couple of sessions. Plan on one more bash at the Pike & Zeds before the OBH predator season is closed.

M

Martin Scullion

Date:30/03/03
Weather conditions: Clear blue sky and blazing sunshine - 12-14 degrees at a guess
Water conditions: Lot Clearer than usual
Results:
Three belting runs one almost yanking the rod into the water, yep you guessed it missed the lot.

First one dropped off halfway in didn't feel too big
Second one sent the bobbin 3 ft into the air, struck nothing on reeled in only to find it had run towards me frantically tightened up result dropped off halfway in, felt pretty decent.
Third one steady lift of bobbin struck nothing there on a small bream with 2 very nice sets of teeth marks.

Hmmm that's it no more Zeds til October!!.

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 03/10/03
Weather conditions: Overcast & mild 15-18 degrees at a guess
Water conditions: Lot Clearer than usual could use a drop of rain
Bait: coarse deads/lives & lures (my new hobby!!)
Method: Ledgered & Float fished dead & lives & lures

Results:
Dropped run early in session, followed by me moving my livebait & thinking that I'd snagged up only to end up ensued in a tug'o'war with a very good Pike needless to say the Pike spat out the roach in disgust.

Starting from 17:00 couple more dropped runs, then first of the Zeds decided to hang to the bait for more than a nanosecond, that one weighed in at 7lbs 4 whilst unhooking that the other rod went off and resulted in a smaller Zed of about 5 - 6lbs. All went quiet for 30 mins then another Zed and fluked a 7lb Pike on a rubber Shad 3ft from the bank followed up by another smallish Zed to finish up.

All in all a good day out, all 4 zeds on ledgered roach sections pike on lure. Would like to have caught the bigger pike tho'

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 03/11/03
Time fished: 12:30 - 17:00
Weather conditions: Mainly dry strong Easterly wind
Water conditions: Still fairly clear
Bait: coarse deads/lives & lures (my new hobby!!)
Method: Ledgered & Float fished dead & lives & lures

Results:
Single baby zed of a about 2 lbs after a microscopic lift of the bobbin on a half roach. Managed to get a couple of follows on lures. Neither zeds or pike really playing ball.

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 06/12/03
Time fished: 09:30 - 16:00
Weather conditions: Mainly dry strong Easterly wind
Water conditions: levels back to normal slightly coloured

Results: Two pike 8lbs 4 & 9lbs 8, one zed 5lbs 12 all on deads Roach & Lamprey sections, missed one other run. Zed & smaller pike came very late in day 16:00(ish) bigger pike @ 12:30(ish).

All in all a good day out.

M

Martin Scullion

Section of Fishery or river stretch:
Date: 4/01/2004
Time fished: 8am - 4pm
Weather conditions: dry overcast temp around 5-6 degrees
Water conditions: Reasonably coloured up
Air temperature:
Water Temperature:
Bait: Coarse & sea deads & lures
Method: One Legered & one Floatfished dead
Results: 1 pike of approx 16 - 18lbs ( no ****ing scales with me)
Brief description of the session & remarks:
Well the lake looked OK, but there was no activity at all, I was however getting regular liners on my leger rod fished at approx 60 meters out, I may have just landed in amongst some bream or tench ??.

Anyway the only fish of the day came on a small jerkbait of all things !!, nice pike somewhere between 16-18lbs must take the scalesnext time !!. It was interesting on a 6' 6" 15-40gm lure rod anyway I landed it OK.

The lake is still fishing really badly for Zander haven't done nearly as well this year, Had one good session earlier in the season since then mainly Pike, hmmmm maybe the Pike have eaten all the Zeds !!!

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 01/02/2004
Time fished:08:00 - 17:00
Weather conditions:Intermittent Cloud cover and one huge downpour as I was packing up
Water conditions: Clearer than usual
Air temperature: 8-10 degrees
Water Temperature: No idea
Bait: Deads & Lives
Method: Legered deads & Floatfished Lives
Results: One Pike low double 10-11 lbs one small zed 1-2 lbs

Decided to rove round the back of the lake for a change, right from swims 75 - 42 must have stopped off in 6 different swims, got the pike from swim 65 fishing toward the island on half a small roach. Got the zed on a floatfished live from swim 55(ish), got to 42 by 3pm getting lots of knocks & bumps but nothing substantial. Also got several knocks on lures as I fished over the pads, but again nothing hittable.

All in all very frustrating as the conditions looked good for some decent zander action but sadly nothing really forthcoming

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 15/02/2004
Weather conditions: mild overcast with occasional rain
Water conditions: Reasonably clear
Air temperature: 6-7 deg
Water Temperature:
Method: Floatfished & Legered Deads & Lives
Results: 1 pike 2 zeds
V.Slow all fish coming later in the afternoon, the pike on livebait, the zeds on 'hair rigged' deadbait, which seems to work really well unhooking is simple, just one single to contend with. The pike was about 2lbs, the biggest zed was 6-7lbs and the other was was really small approx 1.5 lbs.

The 'hair-rigged' deads worked very well all fish being hooked cleanly in the scissors, even the smallest zed !!!

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 27/02/2004
Weather conditions: V cold, 2-3 degrees, occasional snow showers
Air temperature: 2-3 deg
Water Temperature: No idea but probably cold
Method: Floatfished & Legered Deads & Lives
Results: 2 pike 1 zed
1st run on roach dead at 10:00, missed it although it was a real flyer, second run on live another belter - missed that too, third run on live after recast to original spot resulted in a 3.5lb zed.

Moved to another swim second cast on deads turned up a 14lb pike yeehaaa!!, completed the day with another jack of 3lbs.

All deadbait caught fish were taken on hair rigged roach as per my last session, again the bites were really solid not at all finicky. I think that keeping the trace wire off of the bait really increases their confidence, or maybe it increases mine !!

All in all a good day considering the s**t weather, lake was virtually empty I think the cold scared everyone away.

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 5/10/2004
Time fished:08:00 - 18:00
Weather conditions: Balmy 17 degrees
Air temperature: 14-17 degrees
Water Temperature: No idea but probably reasonably warm
Method: Legered Deads & Lives
Results: 2 pike 7 zeds
1st run on roach dead at 09:00, landed a small zed of approx 2-3lbs, no activity after this so....

Moved to another swim small pike 3lbs on dead roach, missed another then recast to same spot and nailed another slightly smaller pike.

All quiet until 15:00 when the zeds woke up, must have had 12 takes between 15:00 - 18:00, cleaned me out of bait, only managed to connect with 6 of them the biggest being a very spiky and aggressive 8 lb'er, which took off like an express train.

Excellent stuff, this kind of session makes up for the ones where the zeds seem to be asleep.

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 17/10
Weather conditions: Dy & Blustery, reasonably warm tho'
Air temperature: 14-17 degrees
Method: Legered Deads & Lives
Results: 2 smallish zeds
1st run on roach within 10 mins, landed a small zed of approx 2-3lbs, no activity after this so....

Had lots of takes probably about six in all but due to staggering incompetence managed to miss all bar one, most runs came between 13:00 - 16:00 nothing in the evening very strange considering zeds are suppoed to like the darkness

Anyway 2 small zeds to show for my efforts, next time I'll revert back to a standard 2 treble trace pattern rather than a single treble and see if this makes a difference.

M

Martin Scullion

Date: 30/10
Weather conditions: Very Mild & Overcast
Water conditions: Reasonably clear, very still no wind at all
Air temperature: 16 - 18 degrees
Bait: Deads
Method: Legered Deads
Results: 1 Micro Pike on Lamprey
1 Run to margin rod and that was it, moved to multiple swims but the lake looked very dead, even the profish course didn't turn up much.

The main thing was that there was not a breath of wind on the lake and I reckon this severely dented the fishing.

tubs

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Bonds Lake

Date:05/05/2009

Time fished:0600-1430

Weather conditions:Cloudy and overcast clearing to some sunny spells and slight showers throughout the day. Cold wind blowing through.

Water conditions:Clear at suface but coloured slightly after the showers.

Air temperature:13-16 degress but felt more like 10-11 with the wind.

Water Temperature:No idea!! Sorry!!

Bait: Maggots/Casters/Corn/Luncheon meat/Pepperami/Groundbait/Tutti Frutti boillies

Method:Rod One-Legered feeder with maggots and caster with groundbait and size 14 hook with three reds on. Rod Two-Legered boillie. Rod Three-Legered boillie.

Results:Good bag with three small bream to 1.5lb, three crucians to 2lb, three big carp to 7lb. Lost at least four throughout the day.

Good session had with plenty of fish caught. The four that got away would of been fun to catch but my end tackle wasnt up to the job! The only downers on the day were the chavs that turned up at lunch time with a tent, huge gas burner and enough kit to put the most expierianced anglers to shame. Then an hour later three young lads with total diregard for other anglers turned up, dumped a tonne of bait in the water, cast out over my lines meaning I had to reel in and move swims. They lasted an hour then disappeared leaving their rubbish next to the lake. Wasters!!!!

tubs

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Bonds Lake

Date:14/05/2009

Time fished:0800-1630

Weather conditions/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gifome sunny spells through broken cloud. No rain as the weather man had assured was due!

Water conditions:Cloudy water churned up by the rain previous day.

Air temperature:WARM!

Water Temperature:???????????

Bait:Red maggots/boillies/halibut pellets/hemp and groundbait

Method:Rod one-feeder with small amount of groundbait in and maggot hook bait. Rod two-hair rigged boillie over bed of pellets.

Results:Two small hybrids early on then two large carp one of 6lb and one of 6.25lb.

Very good session with the lake almost to ourselves for majority of the day. THis venue is definately better Monday to Friday when the weirdos are all signing on thus allowing the dedicated and genuine anglers the oppotunity to have a pleasurable time fishing!!!

tubs

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Old Bury Lake

Date:24/05/2009

Time fished:1230-1700

Weather conditions: Really sunny and REALLY REALLY hot!

Water conditions:Far too clear for decent fishing.

Air temperature/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gifHEWW HOT!!!!!

Water Temperature:???????????

Bait:Red maggots/boillies/halibut pellets/hemp and groundbait

Method:Rod one-feeder with small amount of groundbait in and maggot hook bait. Rod two-Float fished maggots, rod three-hair rigged boillie

Results/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gifne bream at about 2 lb and a roach of about 1 lb

Brief description of the session & remarks:The venue was rammed packed with matchmen with two matches going on. We took the last two pegs on the Old Lake. Then the eastern europeans turned up to ruin the peaceful day in the sun! Radio playing loudly! Drinking lager which is apparently banned on the fishery. The weather was the other dampener. The sun was high and hot without a cloud in the sky. The carp are spawning and that ruled them out too. A bad day all round really for conditions! But the hot sun and good company made for a great day!