SPINNING ROD

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
I would like to buy a spinning rod suitable for casting lures incl softbaits,crankbaits, spoons etc Have ?40-?60 to spend What sort of rod would be best and is the length critical, was considering 6/7 foot. Target fish would be perch,pike and chub.

K

Keith Orange

I wouldn't use 6/7 foot spinning rods unless you're fishing from a boat. They aren't that good when you're playing big fish from a high bank.

I'd go for a rod about 9ft in length, rated to cast up to say 30 gms, and with a tippy action. Avoid soft action rods. I use a 9ft ABU (about ?50) rated to cast 45 gms because I use heavy shads.

Rather than buy mail order, try rods out in the local shops.

A final point - despite the increased interest in lure fishing, where I live (West Yorks) not many angling shops have a good range of spinning rods - so your choice may be restricted.

PTnymph

Reaction score
As Keith said that there not many angling shops will have a good range of lure rods but it is defenite the choice will be restricted that you will have no options.

1) Still go and look for one who you can trust in any of the brand names eg.Fox or Masterline And hope for a discount.

2)I would personally go for a mail order company.

As your limted of money to spend there some New "Shimano Beastmaster" Lure rods starting from ? 51.99 upto ?89.99 where Leslies of Luton from there price of ?43.99 for a casting weigh of 5-20 grams,2.10m up ?74.99 which will cast out 50-100grams, 3.10m.

Website is: www.leslies-luton.co.uk

But do shop around and look in the website.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I think I'll go for a 9ft and maybe spend a little more on the rod.

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
check out the harris angling site tom,ive just bought a gord burton hellraiser,8ft casts up to 3oz,half price at moment,?37.98p,superb all round lure rod for boat or bank and cheap as chips to,as the antique tangoman would say.

J

jason fisher

the fox predator advance 10 foot 10 to 60 gramme casting weight rod is pretty good, it works with anything from size 3 ondex spinners up to a bomber long a jointed.
If you've read my article that was the rod that tim landed the wooden pallette on.
it's round 50 quid.

C

Chris Bishop

Daiwa make some nice ones in 8 - 9ft (assuming you want to use a fixed spool...) for ?30 or ?40.

Ten ft's too long for anything other than wobbling deads really.

N

Nick Austin 2

ive got a diawa lure rod, it's fantstic, cant remember the model name, but i highly rate diawa rods!... i use it with a little baitcaster multiplyer... great fun!

R

RODGER WALKER 3

tom... go on to ebay , goto search trader,

type in "deepinvader". i can recommend the abu 6'6" with a muliplier to handle most things(up to 20LB+ pike), and the chap can be trusted 100%.

C

Chris Bishop

Hello Rodger..! I'll ditto the plaudits for Big Trev, bought the odd rod off him here and there... Are you going to the big chap's wedding..?

R

RODGER WALKER 3

hi Chris... no i didnt get an invite( to many people to do that to) but ive just taken him and josie to france today to get the champagne and cigys. When are we going out next????weve got a boat down here now so you could always come down this way???