Pike Fishing in Scotland

G

George McRobbie

I have 2 sons who are desperate to catch a pike! I live near Perth, can anyone suggest waters which would be suitable for young beginners. We are not looking for specimen fish and are able to travel. I have had Loch Lomond suggested but such a large water is rather daunting for beginners.

K

keith reid

Loch Cluny near Blairgowrie has a lot of small pike in it ,(due mainly to locals who kill any they catch and "sell" them to chinese restaurants) though it does have larger ones too. Try near the church, there is a nice bay and its lily fringed ,with an island about 200 yards offshore. I've only fished it a couple of times ,but never blanked. I caught on lives (when I could get them) ,but also on wobbled deads. Looks excellent for lures ,if you're into that. All were jacks, but a fish is a fish is a fish! The young guy who works in Kate Flemings tackle in Blairgowrie (not Crockarts next door) knows a lot about the coarse fishing.

G

Gavin Walker

Loch Freuchie is quite near you and is easily accessible for kids.You should catch pike there without doing anything too complicated.If you don't mind the drive Loch Ken is fishing well just now.

K

keith reid

Loch Freuchie is to my knowledge now closed to pike anglers. There are a lot of small to medium pike present though. The nearby cafe / filling station sells tickets , though I'm sure its now a boat only , fly only water again.The Trossachs area is very good for pike ; Venachar, Achray and Chonn all have pike. Ask Jim or Morris at the boatyard at L.Venachar for info.

R

Rob Brownfield

george, I fish Perthshire a fair bit for pike. E mail me for more details if u like. I am in Aberdeen.

A note on Cluny, unfortuantly, due to the behaviour of some Pike anglers, fishing is now banned on the Church (Green) bank. There are still some prats who insist on fishing there, much to the annoyance of "Historic Scotland" and due to there ignorance, it looks like we may never get the Green bank back for fishing. The young lad mentioned no longer works there, but talk to Paul Jamiesson at Kates on 01250 873990. He is an enthusiastic Piker with the fly rod. he can tell u how Cluny and Marlee (nexy Loch along the same road towards Blairgowrie) is fishing.

I have never caught a fish on lures in Clunie, in 10 years of trying!!!..lol..now Marlee...thats a different story!

K

keith reid

Gee ,sorry George I appear to have given you some duff advice on Cluny! I've been down in Plymouth for some time now , and so my info seems to be outdated. However , all is not lost! Apart from Rob in Aberdeen , you could contact your local PAC organiser . According to my "Pikelines " , he is Steve Tapley. I'm sure he could advise you. Try the PAC website.

R

Rob Brownfield

Keith, Duff info again mate..lol...Steve has "Retired" about 6 years ago, its now Iain McNeil in Forfar.