Where to fish?

M

martin dennis

I've recently moved to London (east) and was hoping that anybody could point me in the right direction for decent Pike venues in the surrounding area. I have yet to join any clubs so dayticket venues only please! If there are such things down here!

R

Rob Brownfield

Martin, I used to fish the Hollow Ponds at Whipps Cross and the Eagle Pond at Snaresbrrok for Pike. Both hold fish up to 20 pound or so. Wanstead Park lake, both the main and the Ornamental waters contain Pike too. The ornamental water also holds massive Perch, but dont tell anyone!!!

If you dont mind a 20 minute travel, Hooks Marsh and the River Lea near Waltham Abbey contain some monsters too. Also, venture into Essex and u will find fish to 40 pound..well..its dead now, but the water can throw up monsters, at The Warren in Stanford-le-hope.

Hope this helps a little

M

Martin Dennis

Thanks Rob, much appriciated! I don't mind travelling out to Essex so I'll have to do a bit of investigating! Thanks again!. To answer Chris's question, I'd say a 20 mile Radius from East Ham, and a bit further going out toward Essex.

R

Rob Brownfield

Martin. I forgot to mention the water at Lakeside. This is the one Eddie Turner refers to as "The Chalk Pit" in his book. He had many big 30's off of it. It was being run by Mike Toomer, but i am not sure now.

A little tip, don't dimiss the docks!! There are big pike in there, along with large Carp. The canals, both Regents and Lea navigation hold Pike too.

C

Carp Angler

Fishersgreen.(lake, river and relief channel)
North Met pits.
Walthamstow Ressies.
(and the Coppermill stream sshhhhhh!)

C

Carp Angler

Sorry, just read the bit that said day tickets only...
In which case ignore the first 2 until you decide to join somewhere.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ahhhh..Coppermill stream...mmmmmmmm...

There is also a water in Barking...Marymead I think. That produces a few Pike

R

Rob Brownfield

Carp Angler...oh yes :eek:) Very much so...many a big stripy for me, amoungst other things...

M

Martin Dennis

Rob, Carp Angler: I'm intrigued! Is there a nudist camp there or something?

R

Rob Brownfield

errr..yes..thats it...a nudist camp..yeah...lol

Nowt to do with big fish at all :eek:)

C

Carp Angler

Nothing at all to do with specimen sized fish of all species that don't get targetted by anybody in particular.

A brewery....a nudist camp, yeah that's it......

D

David Will

Martin , can i suggest a little book called Thames Angling Guide from the Environment Agency.
It lists numerous waters in your area and the Lea Valley. I have a copy , which is free and can confirm it is well worth ringing 0909 1012282 for a copy.You would be most interested in areas 5 and 4. In particular the Lea Valley Parks waters are well run.The contact there is Gary Smith 01992 702200.
The Lee Anglers Consortium are worth a try , Peter Green 01279 654434.
Good luck

W

Wayne Taylor

rob i lived in reading for 4 y and the only place
i can suggest to u is the reading c.i.d .crime invest. speak to d.c.i langham thames vally police sum, people pay up to 100 pounds a year to fish this lake, privet lake in chaversam if you get no joy with them just ask readland query site manage and he will let u on there banks, carp up to 35+
and once i had 3 15lb pike in 4 hours fishing on sprats anly thing is do not fight much but good fun let me know how u get on any probblem geting permission let me know i have mates that still fish this bank best o luk

D

Danny Hyde

In lea valley you have an LAS Chapter and a pike fly fishers club, both of these sources could yeald some results, give them a call.

S

Stewart Branfield

Martin, if you don't mind crossing the Thames the via the Dartford Crossing, there are Brooklands lakes in Dartford (?5 last I knew for two rods) and the Darenth Complex on the Long Lake (?6 for one rod). Both using deadbaits only I think. May need to check the rules about summer piking though. I'll try and dig out the tel no's.

In Essex, there's Northland Park in Basildon off the A132. Piking from Sept to April only on deadbaits, livebaits caught on site and lure fishing using minimum of 12lb mainline. Mick Toomer is the man who runs it. Often mentioned in 'Where to Fish' in Angling Times.