Just making sure

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Before i ask the question, let me say thanks for the welcome messages, right then, is it ok for me to try and promote a PAC region to help get it off the ground, the reason i ask is because i tried doing this in another site and then realised they had a no promotional policy, so i`ll just wait until i get a response before i ask anymore details, bye.

J

jason fisher

can't see graham having a problem with that.
lots of people have posted pac meeting dates on here before.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As Jason says i can't see a problem as long as it's non commercial. If i were yu i would get a bit of a article together and send it in through the news section. It woud get better coverage there. I think you email it to editor@fishingmagic.com

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Thanks a lot , thought i`d better ask before i went ahead with it.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

As you live in Rothers, you will know that you are in what is termed: "The Killing Triangle."

The vast majority of anglers in this area do not like pike and if they catch one it gets bashed on the head and chucked up the bank. Some do not even give the pike a quick death and leave them gasping in ditches. I have seen it happen.

I was even threatened with having my membership of a local club terminated because I released a pike back to a local canal.

This attitude seems unique to this area. I wonder why so many anglers hate pike in the Sheffield/Worksop/Doncaster Triangle?

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
ron,its because they are ignorant match anglers who cannot see beyond the end of their poles.
the secretary of a local club once said to me that the pike in a certain stretch of our local canal need moving,as they wont let the bream past to go to their spawning ground.at the time,there was a debate about the falling numbers of bream.I suggested that he was talking out of his arse and the bream were failing to spawn due to british waterways cutting the weed with a cutter like a combine harvester at spawning time or just after.bw changed their cutting times from may\june to end of july and guess what??more skimmers are appearing!!!!

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Not quite Ron, i actually live at the pinacle of the Pike haters capital, Sheffield, fortunatly i don`t share the matchmans attitude as i am originaly from London, and yes you are all correct, sadly this area has it`s, and most other areas fair share of people who think Pike are vermin and as a result must be killed at all costs , which is why a guy called Richard Clarke is trying to get this place up and running with a new RA, god knows its well overtime, PAC lads and lasses should look at the back pages of your latest Pikelines mag and there are the details of how to get in touch, i`m gonna get an advert together when iv`e got the go ahead from the editor to do so with more details, so come on give him some support, this area needs all the help it can get.

C

Chris Bishop

e-mail Mark Ackerley or give him a bell - address/number are in the mag..

J

jon helyer

Good luck PIKEMAN, I thought the pike haters were bad enough in Somerset!, just goes to show, every Pike angler needs the PAC...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And it was a Sheffielder who actually formed the PAC, formally known as the Pike Society.

My old friend Eric Hodson of course. We've pike fished together on many occasions.

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Just goes to show that not everyone in this neck of the woods believes that all Pike are vermin , hey Ron? tell you what , i never knew there were so many PAC members in this group, and yes Jon , you are absolutly right mate , we should think ourselves very lucky that Eric and Barry had the foresight to see that Pike needed help even then, mind you after saying that, with some of the assylum seekers killing Pike to eat, the role of the PAC and it`s members is needed more than ever.

J

jon helyer

The asylum seekers problem is country wide, I fear, however the pike is not the only fish taken, ANYTHING goes, it's just the pike is one of the easiest for these so called 'anglers' to catch. When I was a club Sec last season, we caught a couple on one of our waters, one had a baseball bat! Handy fishing implement. Luckily one of our bailiffs at the time was an 18 stone policeman, so they didn't hang around! Yep, EVERY pike angler should at least be a National member, if you're not you're just riding on the back of the PAC.....JOIN NOW!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Pike have never been vermin to me. Pike are an exciting species that I have been fortunate to have fished for using various methods for many years.

I am lucky to have fished for pike with some of the finest thinking pike anglers of all time. I hate name dropping names but people like Ray Webb, Barrie and Christine Rickards, Derek Gibson, John Weston, Eric Hodson and many others.

It was Barrie and Ray who pointed out long ago that we should conserve this species as much as possible. Certainly I fully go along with that. In fact I gave up entirely a few years ago fishing a certain Yorkshire water that shall be nameless.

We were being too successful. Pike cannot be persued repeatedly like other species. When you have had a few in an area, move on, keep quiet and leave them alone.

Pike thrive on neglect.

There are hundreds of miles of fenland drain waiting for the enterprising pike man to re-discover. And I am sure that there are lots of big ones there that have never seen an angler.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And if you have never read Ray and Barries Book: "Fishing for Big Pike" and you are a keen pike angler I recommend you do so.

It is one of the most definitive works on the subject ever written as well as being full of humour.

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Ron, i`m sorry mate, i didn`t for one minute suggest you hated Pike, should have worded that differently, hope in didn`t offend you mate,or anyone else in the region, i know we have our fair share of Pike haters in this area, but on the other hand there are a lot that love to fish for Pike too, a couple of weeks before my illness started i went to Ulley rez and there were a great bunch of PAC lads fishing.Sorry again mate.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Of course you never insinuated that I hated pike. It was perhaps myself that gave that impression. If that was the case then I apologise.

To tell you the truth I have never yet become a member of the PAC. I never thought I would be the right sort of member.

My angling year is spent mostly after all the other species in Britain with the exception of carp. These days I only have a few pike sessions in a year and those are in the Cambridgeshire Fens.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

151/2 lbs Chris from the 20 foot.

Caught on a wobbled joey mackerel.