river Rother

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Hi there , after reading some of the past postings , my local river Rother in South Yorkshire got a mention, has any one in this group fished it, i must confess i have not fished it even though it`s less than a mile from my house, favouring the more picturesque Lincolnshire coutryside, i know it was cleaned up a number of years ago with Pike too, but with this counties record of Pike persicusion by some anglers i didn`t see the point fishing it, but after saying that , a mate from work told me there had been a good sized Pike caught to the rear of Rother valley coutry park, has anybody heard about this in here that fishes it, if any.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The River Rother is only a mile or two from where I live. I have fished it quite a lot in the past few years mainly in the Catcliffe area where I was made a Hon. Member of the local club there.

I have not piked fished it as I am more interested in the quality roach and chub it contains. I do not know of any big pike being taken from this river, but I expect that there are a few around.

There are some very big perch in this river. Up to 4 lbs I am told. I have caught qite a few around 11/2 lbs. It improves as a fishery all the time. There are even a few barbel to be had, but not big ones.

J

jason fisher

there is the odd fish in the don but they take some finding, if you want pike round there best bet is either the ressers at the back side of sheffield or baileys pond or langold lake.

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Hi Jason, i`m gonna give them a go this winter, thanks mate.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Pikeman
Had any luck?

I'm thinking of fishing it my self and would like to know if it's any good.

Terry Dawson

Reaction score
ive fished the don/rother at bow bridge and behind the hovis, ive had on ocassion double figure fish either side of my net of roach, i have only fished for them on the odd occasion but had no luck, i know of a upper 20 comming out at the bridge, but you would stand a better chance of getting the on the canal behind gloystorn on the central resivation bank, thats full of good fish.

tight lines

tets

SherlockofSheff

Reaction score
Terry
I went to research the area of Bow Bridge last Saturday. What I found unusual was the water in the Rother and downstream of the confluence had a whitish tinge as opposed to the Don. Is this anything to do with the Hovis factory and is it normal?

PS how do you get onto the central reservation bank without abseiling down from Centenary Way?

Steve

J

john ledger

Fished Rother a few times and bagged up with roach and dace but go another time and the river is dead. The reason it goes dead as far as i can see is companies are still discharging into river.
The river at Bow Bridge was in a terrible state one Sat last year and had a real nasty colour and smell to go with it. Always fishes better after its been flushed out and on the drop. would not class as a pike river,Micheal Howson fishes it quite a lot so it may pay to have a word with Mike

Terry Dawson

Reaction score
to get to the central res u can park at the side of toyota walk up to the bridge on your left ( up stream ) then drop onto the res or you cango to the back of boothies scrap yard and go over the railway line, my brother goes on the river still alot and informs me that a lot of fish are comming out badley marked above tesco weir where i know that upper doubles are showing the upper 20 showed above bow bridge just below the hovis, the colour is only the shit of the bottom but ive still had up to about 70lb of roach when its coloured up, but that was back in 89 where the don n rother meet. let me know how u do?