Alcudia Majorca

fireblade918

Reaction score
Hi

I am holidaying in Alcudia for the third time and have always enjoyed fishing the lakes, inlets and beach fishing,
I am completely new to salt water fishing and on the previous holidays I have only ever caught Mullet and have tried spinning for Bass of the beach without any luck
Which other species can be caught out there and what types of Lures / or bait should I use?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers

The Monk

Reaction score
Quite a few species bracken species in the Lego Monte canal complex, these include eels, the area from lake esperante to la puebla is worth a look, try squid along the reed margins by night, you might get a nice surpise

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

THE MARSH PREDATOR

The canalised irrigation systems of Majorca can be very enticing places for an exiled carp angler trapped on a family holiday. Heavy rain signalled our departure from Manchester’s Ringway Airport and it was in no time at all, and indeed with great relief, which we gazed down from the plane as it crossed the Bay of Alcudia and made its decent into Palma.

Our Paco (my Spanish Brother-in Law) was on time, as usual, to pick us up from the airport and the three quarter hour drive to the villa and the bar passed in no time. Hiding the very minimum of equipment inside the suitcases, the anticipation of three sneaked weeks fishing, between the usual boring day trips, visits to the beach and being stuck on bar duties while Our Paco and Doreen visited the local Menta disco, was too much to suppress.

On this particular visit, I had smuggled a pair of telescopic rods of two pound test curve, a pair of time honoured Mitchell 300`s, two optonics, a mini rod pod and an assortment of floating boilies for the mullet, all of which was quickly unpacked and hidden in the Villa ready for my escape.

Day one, teatime over and I’m first to get changed, grabbing a quick hour, while the fight goes on for the bathroom. I’m soon sat with baits out on the Lago Canal at the end of the street; two mullet and an eel on floating crust and the wife appears behind me to drag me off down to the bar. Can’t you leave fishing alone for two minutes, she exclaims! Sorry dear.

Three bottles of hazelnut schnapps, a few lagaros and a couple of whiskeys and I’m a quivering mess on the dance floor at the Menta (hic!) Disco. Should have left you at the canal, you ruin every holiday! My beloved exclaims, yes dear!

Monday arrived, thank god, and the girls are off to the market at Manacor, Paco was on bar duty (bless him) and little ole me was off into the darkest reaches of the S, Albufera marshland. The large panniers on Doreen’s bike were indeed ample storage space for carrying my array of fishing tackle and baits, the pedalling however was hard going and I guess carp fishing isn’t the most athletic of sports. Once off the main Alcudia to Can’t Picafort road, I negotiated the dirt tracks where the going really got tough. Buckets of sweat pored from me as I travelled down the scorpion-infested track towards La Puebla and the middle of the marsh.

Let me explain how the Spanish day works, we don’t usually closed the bar until 5 am in the small hours, so early morning rising usually occurs around noon the next day. Today had been no exception. I arrived at my chosen swim as the Spanish sun gently made its decent towards the distant mountains, where indeed Chopin and Sands shared this tranquil and timeless land. It made me feel good to be alive.

It was a quiet spot that I had chosen, well set back from the beaten tracks. Indeed, it was very rare to see another soul, often for days on end. A long forgotten saltwater feeder system with scrum covered banks to hide amongst, while behind the pool lay probably some two kilometres of dense weed bed with what appeared to be small and isolated expanses of water in between, this in turn reached out to the now defunked rail head at the village of La Puebla. The wildlife was a sight to behold, with many the islands purple herons being in dominance.

Baits were cast out to the edge of the reed beds, one on leeches (a sort of Spanish worm) and the other on squid section. Buzzers and indicators at the ready and I lay back to watch the Spanish sun gently kiss the distant mountains and soon drifted into an undisturbed slumber….

A sudden chill awakened me. The banks were well lit with a full and radiant Mediterranean moon; its radioactive glow was illuminating the adjacent marshlands. It was as I was gazing across the marsh, that my eyes became transfixed on what appeared to be a large disturbance beneath the rushes. Whatever creature was responsible for this was very slowly edging its way towards me (gulp!), parting the rushes in its wake.

It eventually came to a halt directly behind a thin layer of stems between the pool and me. Indeed it was only a matter of feet away from my squid rod. I could sense that the creature knew of my presence, this made me feel nervous, to such an extent that I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing erect. The situation had an unnatural feel about it. After what seemed like an eternity, but in reality would have been minutes, the rushes opposite began to tremble, violently quiver and then slowly part. The creature, whatever it was, must surely have seen the bait by now.

The squid rod diode flashed once, heart in mouth, I was on the rod. A slow jerky type run followed. I wound down and hit the beastie with all my might…and all hell broke loose! I had latched onto one very angry animal that, surprisingly, instead of heading back into the marsh, decided to bolt headlong down the main channel level with the bank. I applied full side strain, but to no avail, tightening the clutch down in the process.

The fifteen-pound maxima was vanishing rapidly, unstoppable I decided to follow the creature down the bank. Flattening numerous varieties of cacti, my progress was eventually curtailed by a huge flourishing of nasty prickly thingies. The beast didn’t stop once and the line from the spool was eventually stripped clean- the lot gone!

I sat down despairingly, all was now quiet and the sun was beginning to rise over the marsh as I made my way back to the villa. Discussing events with Paco the next evening in the bar, he suggested that the creature may have been a fish the locals call a “Yop”, which is apparently a large catfish type specie that inhabits marshlands and brackish waters in the region, but I’m not really sure? Apart from the mullet, the eels, a few carp and numerous Spanish species, I have never experienced anything with the same raw fighting power since my encounters with the Marsh Predator, if was indeed a fish at all, sweet dreams.

Last edited:

fireblade918

Reaction score
Hi Monk
Great well written encounter, and is one I will share with my mates whilst fishing the lakes out there. one will aways wonder about the 'great angry monster' on the end of your line and if it was a 'Yop'

Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Hi Peter

Had some success on previous trips fishing the canals with light tackle, 1lb line small quills size 16 hooks and bread. need to strike very quick and have loads of patience...But great fun!

I want to have a go for some of the larger bass I saw cruising past but dont know whether to bottom feed, spin, live bait etc as I am new to this type of fishing

Cheers

The Monk

Reaction score
cheers mate, I`ve caught quite a number of perch like fish over there in the canal systems, some yellow ones were the stripes go sideways and some which look like silver perch, according to out Pacos book, they were called la herina?, not bad little fighters on light tackle though and mainly taken on leeches which use to be available in the tackle shop at the end of the port, the canals also contain flatty varieties and eels whcih do look like our freshwater eels? My style of fishing foreign waters is as soon as you catch something, throw it back out under a bung, you never know. Alcudia is a lovely part of the island though, I spent quite a lot of time over there, hope you have a good un.

The Piker

Reaction score
Fished many time at Porta Pollenca,had lots of golden mullet,tropical looking fish,small bass,bigger bass when reeling in small fish..

But the best sight for me was barricuda smashing into the mullet at night in the harbour..

Put a live on but no takes,the cudas were hurding them into shallow water and the mullet where jumping on to the beach to get away..

Great sight....:w

fireblade918

Reaction score
Was in Alcudia two years ago and started talking to a local fishing off the pier, he told me he caught a Barracuda earlier in the morning, he was using very large bright plugs

I wasnt sure whether to believe him, CUDA in Spain???

Just been doing some searching and didnt know you get them in the Med

I think I will be buying some lures to take with me:D

The Piker

Reaction score
Fire blade get your self to polenca,the baracuda get into the harbour just as it starts to get dark...

Silver lures might work,but i had no joy with them only bass..

If you could present a live i am thinking this would be better..

If i could have taken some desent tackle over with me i am convinced i would

have had some,only had a travel rod..

If you could fish a small-ish bass ect. under a pike float free rover method

you would have a fair chance...........If not it is worth it just to see the Mullet

scatter in all directions even on to the beach....Good fishing..:w

The Monk

Reaction score
polenca also has the only carp water on the island to my knowledge

The Piker

Reaction score
Oh,did not know that,i have been to this part of the island many times..

Very interesting Monk...:w

fireblade918

Reaction score
Fire blade get your self to polenca,the baracuda get into the harbour just as it starts to get dark...

you would have a fair chance...........If not it is worth it just to see the Mullet

That will be a great sight to see!

Do any of you guys know if there a day sea fishing trips available from Alcudia harbour? I would like to pre book as I will be there at the busiest time of the year but cant find any on the net.

The Piker

Reaction score
There is a tackle shop in puerto pollenca,they can arrange fishing trips for you..

It is only a Euro or two to catch a bus from Alcudia so give it a whirl....

I think it is on Joan Carlos xx11 which is the main street in Puerto Pollenca...:w..

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

If you can not find ask,plenty of Brits about....

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

Nothing is sacred ....Anymore

fireblade918

Reaction score
Hi

Just a quick update on my fishing travels to Alcudia last year!

Fished many time at Porta Pollenca,had lots of golden mullet,tropical looking fish,small bass,bigger bass when reeling in small fish..

But the best sight for me was barricuda smashing into the mullet at night in the harbour..

Put a live on but no takes,the cudas were hurding them into shallow water and the mullet where jumping on to the beach to get away..

Great sight....:w

I didn't manage to get to Puerto Pollencia last year as I was holidaying with 4 other families and the missus kept having a fit whenever I mentioned fishing :mad: (I'm sure many of you have this problem too!)

A selected few of the males in the families and I fished lake Esperanza a number of times and found the most successful method for mullet was floating crust, caught some decent size fish. but as soon as the crust sank we were catching very small striped sea bream type fish which quickly become frustrating. after a few hours in the sun the bread dried up (as well as our faces) and we tended to go for a breakfast and a pint instead, Oh! the joys of holidays

Whilst my mates were avidly seeking the biggest mullet. I spent most of my time spinning with various types of plugs and spinners aimlessly. I'm sorry to say I caught nothing with this method, but am still convinced there are predatory fish to catch but think I am better off fishing off the coast or off the piers

My main aim is to catch a big Bass or the engimatic Cuda which people seem to talk about but I never personally see any evidence of. Although many times I have seen the surface start to boil and fish jump frantically out of the water as if something is chasing them.

It has been just less than a year since I posted on this forum and I am wondering if any of you have any updated advice for fishing in this area as I have booked again for the summer and look forward to fishing the area, hopefully with more success

Cheers

gary sheridan

Reaction score
if you go into the mountains to gorge cuber and gorge blau there are carp trout pike Rudd roach and eels you can catch so many species from the sea like the lads have said the inlet where the lake is located in alcudia is best at night but one great spot to go to is half way up the road to the lighthouse on the top of the mountain where the naval base is . on the other side to the naval base there is a large bay full of sea bream cuda sharks small rays and moray eels please be careful if you land a moray it will take your finger right off.
fish either rag worms from the tackle shop or bread for mullet best method for mullet is a swim feeder with a very very short hook link fill the feeder with the hook link slid inside the feeder and just popping out tip with corn as well hope this helps mate tight lines . maybe should be saying this but a nice little mullet live bait will catch you some of those bluefish that come in at night called palomeas or tyams super fight.

georgehooks

Reaction score
If you are planing on going on any alcudia fishing trips, be sure you will be able to find dentex, albacore, atlantic bonito, red snapper, mackerel, dorado, sea bass, amberjack, etc etc etc

Apart from sea fishing in Alcudia you can also go cycling, kite surfing, mountain biking, wine tasting experience, snorkeling & diving, sailing, hiking and much much more.
Enjoy the local food in the hundreds of bars & restaurants from the island. Try ensaimada, sandwich with sobrasada, a Caproig a la brasa, bullit de peix...