Targeting perch

R

Ron Clay

Lock to Waggler at the depth you want with 2 bb and then bunch the rest of the shot about 18" from the hook.

You could put a small "tell tail" shot about 4" from the hook but I don't think it's all that fussy. I would try fluorocarbon anout 3 ft long for the hook length, especially in very clear water

R

Rob Brownfield

Robert...ya cheeky swine...where u been...I hope u have not taken all the big Perch home for your tea!

I've had them on small spinnerbaits too...namely the reed runners from Harris...but the Jacks hit them too often for my liking.

Robert, as for the groundbaiting issue...i think its because they are not used to it. No one really fishes the place "match" style. I find just adding a chopped worm every other cast holds them well enough....Maybe we should do a 24 hour session there and see what we can catch.

A

Andy Doughty

Had a 1lb perch last night on a 4 inch perch livebait meant for zander. Walking along the river with Chris Bishop we saw what we thought was a pike chasing small fish about. I had a bait on first so dropped it in where the swirls had been. 5 seconds later and the roach livie shot under and had been banged off the hooks. Reeled in, put on the perch and 5 seconds later it hammered under again and out came the 1lber.
Had a 2lber from almost the same spot last season on a dead roach with size 6 trebles in it. Dont know what you lot worry about worms and tell-tale shot. Fish heavy and ignorant! Just like me...

C

Chris Bishop

Same thing happened to me on that stretch when I was fishing with Doughie last season - the bait was so big it nearly choked on it.

Enjoyed last night, definitely need to fine tune the approach a bit though. I'm wondering about trying an early morning ramble along there with just rod, bucket of baits etc.

A

Andy Doughty

Dont think that the wind helped last night. I think that early would get more pike, but I have always got bigger pike there early on. I hung on for a half hour more after you left, but had no more.
Last night was good fun, I am really enjoying my fishing at the moment.

R

Rob Brownfield

I took 7 Perch over 2 pounds one morning on live trout (Small ones) The biggest fish went 3:02.
All took paternostered livebaits on 28 pound wire traces!!!
As soon as i tried a deadbait, I blanked!!

C

Chris Bishop

I enjoyed it as well despite lack of results.

Having a bit of a mooch is definitely better than plotting up and parking your ass on a chair for the duration.

I'm going to get to grips with this travelling lighter thing now. I took far too much cr*p along again last night.

I want to have a shot at the pike between those boats, the one I managed to drop was a half-decent double.

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
I've been a bit busy so hadnt been down to the lake for a few weeks and today all I was getting was small perch but I was jsut out for a relaxing day so I wasnt too botherred till the 50th or so one when I was happy when they fell off. I might try fidhing into dusk on sunday night but I dunno if I'll be able to get a life home and I need a couple of good night kip so can't be bothered with night fishing

Jon

E

Eddy Garrett

A quivertipped live gudgeon also gave me my PB perch (4lb). Also had big fish on blockend feeder filled with chopped worm with a lobbie on the hook.