Targeting perch

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
I caught my fist big perch today, I think it was around 2 1/2 pounds (not huge I know but my biggets b4 that was onces) but due to haveing a bit of trouble unhhoking the little fellow I didnt feel I should take photos, weight it ec so I could get it straight back. I now want to target big perch from a stillwater so I can get a PB, have some fun cathing them and claim a IYCF mission badge f they still do them, can any of you gie me an suggestions, what should I use for a bobbin as if I'm right the most important thing is being italian (i.e no resistance).

Cheers

Jon

P

Paul Williams

Some perch that Jono......and amongst all that A level work to!!! how about learning to unhook em before trying to better 21/2lb though?...i went for a few years trying to beat that sort of weight!!!......where are you from mate?

K

Kevan Farmer

Jon. That is a perch I would certainly be proud of catching and I've caught bigger. Any thing over about 1 1/2 is a decent perch in my book. I tend to either spin or float fish for my perch. Try a small 2 inch toby type lure they usually work a treat - well they do for me. Maggots or lob worm - or a combination - are very good on the float. Set it a couple of inches off bottom and then keep trying slightly higher in the water every 10 minutes or so if no bites are forthcoming. Target nice weedy areas as this is where large perch - which are generally solitary - like to lie and ambush prey.

D

David Will

I like to fish with a sunk float paternoster with minnows or Gudgeon as bait and a lobworm on a simple running paternoster on the other rod. I feed small amounts of red maggots on a little and often basis. I like to fish near cover.Bite indication is a scaled down drop off (home made) on the livebait rig and the lightest bobbin i can get away with on the lobworm rod. Again this is home made from a colourful pen outer.Thin round highlighter pens are ideal with a gold label indicater clip glued in.I also rate whizzo choppie mix groundbait. Like the maggots used little and often.If Pike are a problem use toothy critter z thread wire traces.(10lb)It does not seem to put them off. Hooks i like are Kamasan B175 but any long shank model will do. Bear in mind low light values bring Perch on the feed.Early morning or dusk as a second best. Well done on your new P.B. here's to an even bigger one.

P

Philip Inzani

Loads of different rigs will work but I agree with David that fishing early or late can be the ace in the pack. Right on Dark or just before sunrise and don't be afraid to fish literally under the rod tip.

J

Jonathan Faro

Cheers, the only problem with the unhooking was the hook almsot dissapeared in it's mouth so I ahd to get hold of it without getting hold of the perchs skin, it was on a unhooking mat so it cma to know halm and swum off nicley. Dusks going to be good for me once I get a job, I'm going down to the lake on thursday and friday and possibly saturday so I will try again then, I'm in essex and was on Olivers lake which is controled by Colchester ngling preservation society

www.c-a-p-s.co.uk

Jon

G

Garry Sutcliffe

there a bastard unhookin them they swallow them to there assies mostly

J

Jonathan Faro

True, true but when I target them again I'm going to use bigger hooks and dig myself some lob worms

J

Jonathan Faro

True, true but when I target them again I'm going to use bigger hooks and dig myself some lob worms

G

Garry Sutcliffe

my biggist was 2lb last week on the leeds and livapool canal i used double red with single white good luck with th perch

K

Kevan Farmer

I read in the AT this week that Keith Arthur recommends nailing the bait to the bottom???? None of my perch have ever come off the bottom. I find they like to go for a bait from about mid water or a couple of inches off the floor. It's not easy but if you spinning for perch try to get the spinner or lure that couple of inches off bottom and then you should get the best results. This is one of the few times I have disagreed with Keith by the way but in this I feel I have more experience as I've targetted perch for a long, long time......

R

Rob Brownfield

Did he not say that the wee perch preferred to feed hard on the bottom and that to avoid them, fish an inch or so off bottom?

I agree, most of my big Perch have been taken mid water.

R

Ron Clay

That's an interesting observation Rob. I took a 2 pounder by accident on redworm in the fens a little while ago. It took the worm on the drop at first light. I was after tench.

With so many good perch around I feel those of us who have caught big perch should debate the methods they use a little more. Even Crabtree float fished his worms midwater.

Lovely fish are perch, so impressive when they come to the net.

R

Rob Brownfield

Rob, when I have been out with a fish finder, enevitably the shoals of fish that show up mid water are Perch. Drop down a rubber worm or snall jig and u can catch hundreds of the wee buggers. A local water where I have only just started fishing for Perch seems to produce the bigger fish on the drop. They give tremendous bites this way.

R

ROBERT SWAN

Rob ,
I agree with you regarding the fish hitting on the drop. I take it this is the water that we spoke about recently ?
I had a fish just over 2LB on a 5" shad meant for pike a couple of weeks ago at the same venue. I took it at 6.30 am on the drop whist slackening off my clutch after playing tug of war with a wee jack which got into the weeds.
I was also fishing with worm / maggot and everything else was no more than 4 ounces. There seems to be a wide gap in the size of the fish.
What also amazed me was that I tried groundbaiting for the first time at the Loch and it seemed to spook the fish , with me having to move location after the introduction of it.
Has anyone else experinced this / got any tips for me ? I would be very surprised if the water I fished has been groundbaited much before - it really put them off !
I was fishing sensas chocolate mix designed for Perch , laced with maggot / chopped worm and sweetcorn.

C

Chris Bishop

Harris are doing little inch-long shads now - bet they'd work.

R

ROBERT SWAN

Chris ,
already beat you to that one.
I recently ordered some along with a creme combo kit that I think will do the business. I will give them a try next week.
I will need to keep them away from Rob Brownfield though. he seems to have a taste for them.
I had better crimp the barbs incase he is lurking in the Loch we both fish for the perch !!!!!

cheers

Robert

S

Stewart Branfield

When float fishing for perch using a waggler, what is best shotting pattern say with using a 2AAA float?

S

Stewart Branfield

On the river, Ron.

I tend to fish the Medway around Maidstone or Tonbridge,Kent. Its about 6' on average.