Spoon blanks

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Does anyone know where blanks for making spoons and spinners can be obtained? I'm particularly keen to obtain blanks for making plain spoons.

I used to obtain them from an address that appeared in the small-ads in Angling Times, but I haven't seen the advertisment for many years.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
Someone passed this website on to me www.cabelas.com
It has quite few bits for lure making but it is a US based company. Obvously, shipping would cost extra, but the price of the Dollar is so weak, it might work out ok!
Good luck!

C

Chris Bishop

Nick Green does some superb brass laquered ones plus all the rings, hooks etc.

David Preston

Reaction score
If your local shop deals with the coarse fishing arm of Gordon Griffiths - Fishing Pool Ltd, they do of that kind of gear.

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Do they sell big bags of swivels David???? :) No rush!

K

Keith Orange

Jim, you can get everything you need to make spinners from:

http://www.uk-hooks.com

There aren't any spoon blanks in the catalogue. It's a good source for larger size replacement treble hooks for lures, as I can't get these in my local shops.

By the way, are you the Jim Gibbinson that's written lots of books on fishing ?

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I've obtained a copy of Nick Green's catalogue and have placed an order with him.

Yes Keith, I am he...

L

Limestone

Ian, is there something I should remember? Apologies if there is!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Old Webby by the way used to obtain old tea and table spoons, cut off the handle and drill two holes. He didn't "buy" them of course.

They did work on occasion.

Bass Pro Shops sell complete kits for making up your own spinner baits.

B

Budgie Burgess

Will certainley second both Cabellas and Jannsnetcraft.

C

Chris Bishop

Jim, how did you get on with spoon..? I've caught loads on these.

Garry Procter

Reaction score
Jim,

Only just spotted this thread. Remember me? On the subject of Cabelas, the US etc. Send me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do to help.

Best wishes,

Garry

P

paul williams 2

Ron.......i have had some terrific days sport on old spoons and ladels doctored as you say.......in the mid eighties me and my mucka used to compete against each other raiding the local "junk" shops to see who could get the most!
Think i'll see if their stock has been topped up!
Ey up Jim, you will be labelled as a sado by the weeklies for talking fishing on the net! ;)

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Hi Garry; nice to be in touch again.

Chris, I obtained the 14g size. They have a nice rolling action and I'm confident they'll work well. Only used them on a "see how they work" basis thus far so no catches to report.

Paul, I can live with being labelled a "sado" by the weeklies (and by anyone else, for that matter!)... besides, I've an uncomfortable feeling they may be correct!

P

paul williams 2

Jim....if i'm ever half as sad as you as far as angling is concerned then i'll be a happy man..........any chance of list of all the junk shops in Kent?, looks like those in the Black country have been depleted of all those 1950's brass/chrome plated ladles, and these modern lightweight chinese jobbies just ain't the same!