OK I have the rods so nylon or braid?

richard859

Reaction score
Guy's,

So I'm getting the ET 3LB Pitmaster rods. Would you use nylon or braid for the main line, and what is the reason?

I use Daiwa Sensor for all my carp fishing mainly in 12lb, would 15lb be ok, or should I go for 30lb braid.

My thought's are with cheap (but good) nylon I can change line on a regular basis. With braid it's much more expensive, isn't it?

If braid what one is best cost and quality wise?

Thanks.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Braid is expensive, but may work out cheaper in the long run, although Daiwa Sensor needs some beeting for Value For Money.

With Braid, it can last up to six years. If you haven't used much of what's underneath, say you've been using 50 yards of 100 on the spool, you can then turn it around and use it back to front, so to speak.

Braid is softer - a plus, but it floats easier - a minus sometimes unless you're drifter float fishing. A 40lbs braid is the same thickness as 12-15lbs mono, therabouts.

30-40lbs about right for dead/livebaiting. 50 - 65 lbs if you're chucking lures. Andy Nellist uses 30lbs and he's a Drennan Cup winner

preston96

Reaction score
Braid is expensive, but may work out cheaper in the long run, although Daiwa Sensor needs some beeting for Value For Money.

With Braid, it can last up to six years. If you haven't used much of what's underneath, say you've been using 50 yards of 100 on the spool, you can then turn it around and use it back to front, so to speak.

Braid is softer - a plus, but it floats easier - a minus sometimes unless you're drifter float fishing. A 40lbs braid is the same thickness as 12-15lbs mono, therabouts.

30-40lbs about right for dead/livebaiting. 50 - 65 lbs if you're chucking lures. Andy Nellist uses 30lbs and he's a Drennan Cup winner

Do NOT use 30lb bs exept in the clearest of swims, i dont care who uses it.........65lb for general live/deadbaiting.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I'll use 20lb braid quite happily in clear swims, and 2.25lb TC rods. To me 3lb rods and 60lb braid is catfish tackle.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Without checking I think I have 80lb Fireline on my deadbait pike spools. On my lure set up I think I have 15lb powerpro on one spool and 30lb on the other. I would use mono if I was tergetting carp etc with maybe a short braid hook lenght.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I use braid for bait fishing and lures. I have 75lb for baits and both 30lb and 50lb on my lure reels. The main advantages braid has over mono is the lack of stretch - giving better (or more instant*) bite indication. Also, the huge increase in breaking strain you get for same diameter lines. This is not because I think a large pike requires 75lb braid to land it, but it does mean you can pull almost any hooks straight if they get snagged, ensuring that no baited rigs get left in the water for an unsuspecting fish to swallow.

I use my 30lb for small, lightweight lures and the 50lb for the heavier ones.

* I appreciate that you cannot have something that is 'more instant'. Something is either instant or it isn't, but it's the best description I could come up with.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Well, I still stand by my earlier rec of 40lbs for bait fishing. I have 20lbs for really light lures, 30lbs for lures up to 2 ozs, 50 for lures up to 3-4 ozs and 65lbs for 6 ozs jerks. I do use 80lbs on one spool, but only because I was testing it, it's like a hauser. :)

With the 40lbs today, I was pulling the 16lbs pike through river crowfoot (Geoff knows what it's like) and it cut through it like cheesewire. I never had any doubt that I would not land that fish successfully.

Rickrod

Reaction score
you can straighten a treble hook should it become snagged with 65lb braid which is a good idea if you fish snaggy waters it sound over gunned but its better than leaving a bait with a pair of trebles down there imho (im not having ago at anyone)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Curious, but what strength wire trace do you use with 65lbs braid?

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

(im not having ago at anyone)
Appreciate that, neither am I. We are all different, but so long as we care about our quarry, that's all that matters.

Rickrod

Reaction score
The resevoir i fish has walls and rocks here and there . I use to use 15lb mono but if i got snagged it would snap then i use 50lb braid with 40lb carboflex using a palamor knot if i got snagged it still snapped now 40lb carboflex with 65lb braid the hooks will give and i get the trace back. like i say it sounds so over gunned but it works for me . Not to long ago i had a chap tell me he had been snapped off by a big pike so he had stepped up his line to 10lb The rules for the water are that line should not be less than 15lb which i told him was he bother was he heck

richard859

Reaction score
Jeff, Paul, Guy's,

Were do you suggest in America I buy from please.

I see one site on E-bay (13.99) but it's only in 100 yards. Would that be enough for each rod?

Jeff, I like the idea of turning it around some time later.

Regards.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Curious, but what strength wire trace do you use with 65lbs braid?

Fair point, 30lb usually. The 75lb braid is not just used for the straight pull strength but also the diameter (should maybe have mentioned that earlier).

To match the diameter of tough mono (say 15lb), and therefore give decent abrasion resistance, the braid has to be that strong because diameter and strength are intrinsically linked.

A wire trace obviously doesn't have quite the same abrasion problems as mono or braid, making the diameter a non-issue.

I just don't like taking chances that could result in a set of baited trebles remaining underwater.

I haven't personally bought anything from America so am not certain of the best websites, I'm sure the others will make some suggestions.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Were do you suggest in America I buy from please.
No need to go to USA, I have dealt with this chap who lives fairly close to one of our fisheries. If he lets you down I can go throw stones at his windows! :D

He doesn't always have every diameter of every length in stock, but you can always phone/email him to see if he's expecting some.

preston96

Reaction score
I use min 30lb trace wire, though i may be switching to a new system soon................i dont use 65lb braid for its BS, i use it for it's ruggedness.

I have had 30lb break instantally upon contact with a "snag"...............it is irresponsible to take chances if a treble hook set up is used.

The braid for piking situations has been done before.........perhaps someone can put a link to it so everyone can see what was said by whom? :wh