Landing nets

C

Chris Bishop

Knelt on one of the arms of my six (?) season-old North Western landing net around Feb time, bought a Fox Warrior one as a stop-gap and it was *minging*.

Wrong shape, arms were a nightmare to ping in and out. Suspect it was made in a country where rice is the national dish and they shoot people for stealing bicycles.

Just bought another North Western - half the price of anything decent made by anyone else, big mesh around the sides, micro-mesh bottom so leads won't drop through, totally modular, ie if one bit breaks, you don't have to scrap the entire net.

M

Mark Hodson

Been using a cheapo Dinsmore 42" job with an alloy block for my piking for over 12 years now. Its got a few holes in it and I really should get a new one but i'm loathed to as this one still does the job, got at least another season in it yet !

JC

Reaction score
If the North western is modular why didn't you just buy a new arm Chris?

J

jon helyer

Why didn't you buy a round net, of about 30ins diameter? Bit more difficult to carry, but a much better net to land long fish like pike in. replace the mesh with Lumby's net and you'll be well away.....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I use one when I go down to the fens. It's about 32" diameter and my friend John got it from Harris Angling. It has a large knotless mesh that trebles do not catch up in.

C

Chris Bishop

""the North western is modular why didn't you just buy a new arm Chris?""

Because the net's knacked.

B

Budgie Burgess

I use round in the boat and triangular from the bank purely cause the round one takes up less room.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I use the fox carbon 50" sod for getting trebles caught, and the locking mech took awhile to get used to. worth ?110? nope.

will be buying a round net as I'm planning to spend more time river piking this year.

G

Gary Knowles 2

North Westerns for bank fishing - the original is still the best.

The Fox boat 'stowaway' is spot on though...

S

sash

Hi Chris,
Nice to see you back to the fishing mate.
Did you have a look at that one I bought? Still going strong after a year (and thats long for me!!) and had a fair old thrashing this year.

C

Chris Bishop

I wanted one like it but nowhere round here had one so I got a 50" North Western for ?30 in the end.

Need another boat/lure net as well now.

TonyStone

Reaction score
I just got a sovereign baits 43" predator net, cost me ?45.

But is very nice, and alot lighter that my older cheapo net I had.

I want a round net for roving the banks of about 32inch.
Anyone got any recommendations??

M

madpiker

the leeda predator round net is 32 inch.
i believe that shakespeare have brought out a 32 inch round shaped boat net for sea angling,its mesh is knotless by the way,it`s only ?20,i haven`t seen one yet so i can`t comment on its` quality.
as i`ve said on here before,i`ve had a leeda pred net since 1998,it hasn`t broken yet,but i have now replaced the mesh with the luremesh one from dave lumb,it`s a lot more fish friendly than the huntsman mesh that harris sell.

C

Chris Bishop

Shakespeare net looks prety solid but the mesh is all wrong for lure fishing.

J

jon helyer

They also sell gags! Pike gear not Shakespeare's strong point then....