perch

fishface

Reaction score
i would like to do some lure fishing for perch but the water i will fish contains pike! i have been told that perch dont like wire traces does this apply for lure fishing or just dead or live baiting!

Reaction score
I've always caught perch on wire trace. Its always best to use a wire just in case a pike does pick your bait up. Would hate to leave a hook in a fish and you never know you might catch your best pike ever while trying for a perch. It applies to both as well. Best safe than sorry.
Try a thinner wire trace than your pike traces as they are not to keen on thick traces. Look for the supple ones that are available.
They will reject your trace more when dead/live baiting as they have time to feel the wire but lures they tend to just grab the spoon/lure.
Just be careful with perch, they are very fragile so try to not allow it to much time to swallow your deadbait/live bait
and keep to a single hook and not a treble.

Hope you have some luck with them.

M

Mark Hodson

Perch don't mind wire traces at all, they are that aggressive when striking at lures they don't notice. Besides in the UK you should never consider lure fishing without a trace, because even in waters that "don't" contain pike you will encounter one at some stage. If you don't use a trace you'll end up leaving a lure in a pike much to its detriment.

If your at all worried about the stiffnesss of a trace affecting the lure or the fish seeing it, just use one of the softer wires, like Drennans soft strand or the Fox soft strand. I have used both (more the drennan) for my ultralight and light lure work for the past 3 seasons and had no problems at all. Took 28 perch in a couple of hours from the local canal last week on 30lb braid and 28lb trace, none of them above 12 oz and they didn't seem to mind the trace.

I've gone a bit here haven't I, basically use a trace, you'll have no problems with the perch and best of all you might get the odd fry feeding pike this time of year as well.

Reaction score
Oh forgot, make sure live baiting is allowed in the area you go. Many waters do not allow it now.

Good luck again.

Reaction score
Going back 3 years ago I was fishing the Windrush on the Linear complex and caught a barbel with a lure stuck in its mouth. All it had was a nylon line tied to it. It was luck I caught it, I had been watching it for a while with 2 other barbel and out of the 3 the one with the lure took my bait.

By the way Fishface did you have any luck on the boat fishing the Thames?

fishface

Reaction score
it chucked it down with rain so we abandoned the trip :( but im hoping to be on it tommorow !
thanks for all the help!
will definatly be using a wire trace!

Reaction score
Its always the way with our old weather:) Hope the weather stays fine for you tomorrow and you catch a few.
Keep us updated on how you get on.

fishface

Reaction score
it was a nice day and enjoyable as alaways :)! i used a wire trace it made no differnce to the catch rate or at least i dont think it did i took about 15 perch upto 1lb but we were nt fishing the whole day as we went into marlow for lunch :)

thanks for the advice i will stick to using a wire trace be on the safe side!

Reaction score
Nice one. Thats an excellent result, many thanks for the update.
Did you give the weir a go?
When I use to fish it from a boat and not off the lawns as I do now we did very well on the opposite side to the hotel almost opposite from the lawns where theres the trees over hanging and the wooden boards where the boats moor up. Floating a bleak/minnow down resulted in some nice perch.
On the other side ging down stream from the weir you have the gardens backing on to the River with some reed beds. The amount of chub we caught floating right buy the reed beds were wonderful on the good old lobworm. No idea how they fish now, thats going back over 20 years as was the above but its still worth a go.
I also caught my last Thames tench down there.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

I reckon the bigger perch definitely do not like attachments. I've put the wire/no wire theory to the test on a local water and my catch rate definitely dropped big time with a trace.
The closest compromise I could come up with for perch/trout in pike waters, was to use the 49 strand wires, like the old Alasticum or Z-thread made by Toothy Critter.
I use 49 strand bought from Angler's Rendezvous, Glasgow. It's as thin as thread and it's a fairly neutral brown colour. It handles Pike no problem whatsoever and it's light enough not to affect the performance of lighter lures/ultralites/plugs etc. too much.

J

jason fisher

andrew you might have put the wire/ no wire theory to the test, but i've put it to the test on the thames and on there it makes bugger all difference to catch rates at all.
so to be safe best to use it. 15lb drennan 7 strand does the job nicely.

fishface

Reaction score
it wasnt the weir i caught the perch from but the stretch leading up to it! casting the spinner close to bank worked well and when moving up or down stream troling along the edges of weed beds especially the water cabbage seemed to work well!
but their was to much weed to fish the river and i think ordey(i cant remember its name lol) ?!? weir with a lure well! for the better part you couldnt let the lure / spinner sink deeper than 2ft1/2 and even then you would bring in weed every other cast!

Reaction score
Odney weir is in Cookham and I've not fished there for many moons but Pa did as a kid. Him and his friend **** managed to get the lock keepers donkey drunk when it pinched their shall we shall tea mixed with something. The donkey turned mad and chased Pa and as **** was laughing away it turned and chased him up a small tree:)
Going back to Marlow, before the road bridge was built Pa would fish of the barges that use to moor there. Had some great times along that part of the river.
This part of the river is gravel and you will catch all sorts.
You did really well with the perch. Not easy with the weed. I wonder if those very small plugs that are designed to go down to a set depth would work there. We've always done well on Mepps (spinner). Our old reddish ones and the perch coloured ones were our favorites.

J

jason fisher

oooohhh you i aint talking to you again for lettin that one out.

J

jason fisher

small lead head jigs with rubber worms bumped along the bottom work pretty well too.

fishface

Reaction score
thanks for the advice! it was ordey then the the boat is moored in cookham! are spinner baits just normal spinners like mepps e.t.c ?