Wobbled Baits

A

Andrew Macfarlane

(31 July, 2005)
This was an old post I did elsewhere but you can read it for interest.

"I went to a local ressie with the lures today. After an hour of throwing large-ish jerkbaits etc. around, I decided to try a little jointed Terminator on my lighter setup. I immediately hooked a small Perch and then had a brainwave.
I removed the lure, fed the trace in through the mouth and out through the gills and then attached a large treble to the snap-link.
I nicked the treble into the flank of the Perch and lobbed it out. I counted to 10 and then started twitching the Perch. 3 or 4 twitches later and WHAM!!! I ended up with a pristine 13lb Pike on the bank. Wee-haaaa!!!
I got the Perch back since it was threaded onto the trace and decided to have another go.
Again, I cast out, counted to 10 and started twitching the Perch. I almost got the Perch to the bank and then....WHAM!!! I ended up with a 15lb Pike on the bank this time.
This was looking too good to be true and I still had the Perch, even if it was a little bedraggled.
Surely I couldn't do it again?? I walked to the next likely looking Pike spot and flung the Perch out for the 3rd time.
Same again!! cast, count to 10, twitch, twitch, twitch and you guessed it.....WHAM!!!
Another double on the bank. This one weighed in at 14lbs. I was fooking delighted.
Unfortunately, I lost my Perch and after that, I couldn't buy a fish. I'm not complaining one bit but I could have done with a dozen Perch baits.
I just wonder what would have transpired if I had brought some Perch with me. I've only got about 30 in the freezer annoyingly enough.

That was the session of the year so far. I'm buzzing like a maniac. I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight...."

Now for an update:
(12 September, 2005)

"Just an update on the wobbling front. Between me and my mate Cammy yesterday, we had 6 deadbait rods out, each baited with a lovely brown trout.
We managed a couple of Jacks but the big girls were determined not to show.
I had been throwing some lures around in the hope of stirring some big girl action but alas, I didn't even get a follow.
Later in the day I spotted a large and very identifiable fin cruising around over 30 feet of water.
I went back to the bank, changed my Ti-Wire trace for a snap-tackle and put a Brownie on to see if I could tempt this Pike with a wobbled bait.
1,2,3,4 casts and then WHAM! She took the bait with gusto.
After a short but exciting battle, I landed a pristine 16lb Pike on my baitcasting setup.
This isn't my biggest Pike but it was my biggest fish so far on this setup. An ABU M/H baitcaster (from Trevor Mitchell) and a 5601AB (AB mechanism removed) also from Trevor.
So basically, this girl wasn't a PB but I was just a delighted all the same.
It just goes to show that when the normal methods aren't working, a little hard work can pay it's dividends.
I'm buzzing even now just talking about it....HUZZAH!!"

P

Phil Heaton

Three weeks ago I was lure fishing my local river and could not buy a take, then I came across a total novice with a telescopic rod, no landing net, unhooking mat or equipment, even his snap tackle was shop bought and poorly constructed. He had two upper singles within 10 minutes on half a wobbled lamprey, he only packed in because the trace dropped to bits and he did not have another.
I had to help him land, unhook and return both fish, believe it or not he nearly tried to remove the trebles from the pikes mouth by hand!
All the money I have spent on expensive lures flashed before my eyes as I thought 'bugger', why did'nt I try wobbling instead.
I presume the 30 perch were bought blast frozen in a sealed packet.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

I catch all my own perch/trout/roach. I only buy seabaits or unusual baits like Lamprey.

TonyStone

Reaction score
I buy my baits too, but I catch my own roach/perch etc. I had ago at sea fishing from the beach a few weeks back and now I have a load of mackeral in the freezer for baits too!!!

gilesy

Reaction score
wobbled/sink n draw is without any exception my favorate method for pike,it has saved the day for me so often,i dont even take my static rods any more on my local river nidd, its a totally natural looking way of inticing any even lethargic pike,smelt by far my favorate bait nice and tough