Pike pools near Stafford

J

John Pickering 1

Hi,
i have never caught a pike before so i would like to know if there are any decent places to catch the buggers in the Stafford area. I don't mined traveling though. Needs to be somewhere thats reasonably easy to get a result.

Thanks

John Pickering

M

madpiker

i`ll give a bit of advice john.responsible pike anglers do not publicise good waters to avoid over fishing.i would suggest that you go with an experienced pike angler who can teach you about the tackle required,bite indication and safe pike handling\unhooking etc.
pike arent hard to catch,but handling them can be a bit daunting to a beginner.i`m assuming that you have all the correct kit for piking.
i`m not trying to put you off pike fishing,i`m advising you to seek help,for your sake and the pikes.

P

paul williams 2

John,
I almost answered your thread earlier but didn't because of similar thoughts to Madpiker........

It's an awkward question to answer mate, personally i learnt the hard way many years ago, and yes it was at the pikes cost.....luckily by the time bigish fish came my way i was a little more adept!

I wonder how many amongst us can really claim to always have done the best for the pike, and we all have to start somewhere?

Even joining something like the Pike anglers club is not always the answer it depends on the atitude in your area, some are very good towards newcommers and some......well!

you could try Patshull pool when it opens for pike and politly ask an experienced angler if he would keep an eye on you ....... or travel to an organised "teach in" ...... i have helped newcommers in the past and i know others such as Budgie have done the same so keep your eyes and ears open.

M

madpiker

i`ve helped quite a few newcomers to piking over the years.my reply to the original question was meant as friendly advice and how it is with most pike anglers these days
i started out piking,not really knowing what i was doing.that was in the early 70`s,when most anglers thought that pike were vermin,hence there were a lot of "jacks" to practise with.
it worries me that some anglers will "have a go" at piking,not having a clue about what they are doing,this can lead to possible serious injury to both the pike and themselves.
we always welcome newcomers in the somerset levels pac region,i`m forever handing out info to pikers that i see on the bank,telling them that we have talks and instructional fishing days,sadly,only a tiny percent ever bother to turn up.
i`m sure that any pike angler on patshull,would gladly offer advice and keep an eye on you,after all,he`d be doing himself a favour too,by ensuring that all pike were returned quickly and safely etc.