which reels

B

Barry Bramley 2

Hi all
Iam currently looking to buy some new reels for piking, what should it be shimano or okuma?
bazmati

C

Chris Bishop

Daiwa Emblems, 5000 or 5500 T if you fish pits or big waters; Shimano 8010GT-size if you fish rivers and drains.

P

Phil Heaton

Unless you are going to be fishing more than once a week, save some money and buy the okuma's. The difference will be in the length of time the reels remain reliable, daiwa's and shimano's are generally more expensive but in the short term are no better a reel.
I bought an okuma 3 years ago as a budget spinning reel, i've used it regularly for beach and freshwater use and the smoothness of the action is as good now as when it was new. The only problem is that the spring securing the one touch folding handle can pop out when the handle is folded, easily cured by leaving the handle open.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

I've got 2 X 4 year old..(maybe older?)..Okuma Toledos and a 2 year old Okuma Interceptor and aesthetics aside, they're still as good as the day they were bought.
I have an Emblem too but I got that for 30 quid so I couldn't really refuse at the time but I didn't buy it out of necessity.
I'd happily buy Okumas again. They literally cost nothing and they do the required job admirably.

S

sash

Barry,

What type of venues will you be fishing, what type of fishing will you be doing (pike covers a lot of ground) and what's your budget?

Matt Drew

Reaction score
Cant go wrong with shimano baitrunners.So reliable and the single handle ones start at about ?50 round here.prob not the best choice for chucking to the horizon but not everyone needs that.

bazmati

Reaction score
Shash

I will mainly be fishing scottish lochs, so big waters really.Thanks to all for the replys, all advice appreciated.
cheers Baz

S

sash

Then I'd suggest one of the big pit style reels, either Shimano, Daiwa, Okuma or possibly even Wychwood. They're a bit sturdier with a wider spool allowing longer casts and have plenty of cranking power, ideal for a big Scottish loch. The only compromise is weight and in some instances, lack of a baitrunner facility though I don't know if that would be a problem to the fishing you do?

C

Chris Bishop

If you're fishing off a boat, baitrunner-type reels are good for trolling/static fishing. Mate of mine got the Okuma whatever they ares last season and they were knacked by the end of it.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Just got two Diawa Emcast 5500's. these are diawa's budget big pit reel and for the money the really are superb. The line lay is good, they are solid metal construction and come with two spools which are both exactly the same so theres no lesser 'spare' spool. The also cast for miles and look good as well. I think these are going to be a brilliant reel for all sorts.

I paid ?59.99 for mine but I think you can get then cheaper.

M

madpiker

my okumas have been used at least twice a week during the piking season(including fishing from a boat),they haven`t let me down at all.one of them is 4 years old and the other two are 18 months old.
i would think that the cheapest okumas,Ie: the less than ?20 model might get knackered quick,as they are intended for occasional anglers or beginners on a tight budget.the interceptors have a 5 year guarantee.
a mate of mine bought 2 shimano gt baitrunners,he`s been using them for piking from a boat in scotland using 30lb braid,both of them are very noisy and well past their best..

C

Chris Bishop

Braid knackers them, the spools go loose on the spindle. Mind you some of mine are six years old.

C

Chris Bishop

Baitrunners, didn't think the last ones were as robust as the previous generation.