Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gary Knowles Guest

On Saturday me and my mate were making up traces on the bank whilst we were fishing. I prefer to spin whilst my mate twiddles (no sarcastic comments please). Anyway I got to thinking which method do the majority prefer.

I prefer spinning as the main wire (central) remains fixed whilst the tail end wrapps around. when twiddling the main wire twists and this makes me think it may weaken it slightly.

Any thoughts ?

Neither, I much prefer to crimp. I've heard all the stories about twisting being more reliable than crimping but I've yet to see a pike lost through crimping by me or any of my mates, and we've been crimping traces for 10 years or more. I guess it's like anything else, you have to do it properly or, like anything else, it'll let you down.

Chris Bishop Guest

I've started using 49-stranded wires most of the time so I use knotless knots around both trebles as it's a lot quicker and it stops them flapping about, which I always think can bounce fish off.

Take eight or 10 turns round the shank of the hook, pull it tight and cover it in shrink tube. It can't slip as long as coils don't come undone, as the wire is doubled around the shank first.

To attach the swivel to the top, try passing a loop through the eye, then pulling it back on itself so it forms a half hitch before crimping. The knot (called a lark's head apparently...) takes most of the strain and all the crimp does is keeps the loose end down.

I used crimps for ages before that. I used to spin them up with forceps but I was never 100 per cent confident in them.

Philip Inzani Guest

Gary I know what you mean about wondering if twiddling weakend the wire. I have to say I also had some concern about crimping doing it as well by crushing it.

When I first started making my own traces I used to crimp then I was shown a trick with a pair of forceps where you hang them off the tag end and sort of wheel them round the wire and then I got myself a twiddling stick and have used that since on the bottom treble and then knotless knot the upper one. I cannot say I have ever lost a fish to any of them due to the connection failing but I always have a niggling doubt for some reason.

However I may well take a leaf out of Chris's book and start knotting them both, it just seems easier.

Davy North Guest

I must admit I have lost a fish with a crimp pulling through. I alway's had use crimps, and litraly pulled half a tree of swims with out the crimp failing.

However this particular crimp was from a new batch, and I don't know if they were duff, but as soon as I hit the run the wire pulled through. Fortunatly at the time I was using a single barbless hook, so I hope the fish shed it fairly quickly.

When I checked the other traces I'd made with the new batch of crimps they all give way with a fair amount of presure! Needless to say from now on I'll be spinning or twiddling.

Has anyone else had any bother with crimps in this way?

Ron Clay Guest

I've never tried crimps, maybe I should. I usually heat up the wire with a lighter before twisting it. Maybe that's not a good idea?

Carp Angler Guest

I use crimps on all my sea mono traces without any problems at all.
    It's all down to knowing how much you can crush it.

Ron Clay Guest

Carp Angler

Do you need a special tool to squeeze the crimp? As piking season is just around the corner I have to stock up with hooks, lines and trace wire shortly. I'll also be spending a week in the fens in Oct after Zs and pike.

Got a huge packet of sprats by the way at Asda yesturday for 1.50. The poor girl at the check out took one look at them and started to reach!! They had to find somone with a less delicate stomach. It's surprising how sensitive some people are.

Carp Angler Guest

I've just got some crimping pliers, similar to the electricians ones and these pose no problems at all.

I also used these when I made up my eel traces and I've never experienced any problems at all.
    I wouldn't be confident twiddling them, but that's probably because I've never done it.

Rob Brownfield Guest

I honestly dont think the wire is crushed when u crimp...i actually think its where the crimp and the trace material meets that is the potential weak spot. I have had one crimped trace go...and I am convinced its where the crimp had caused an angle with the wire.

There is an easy test to to. Make up 10 traces with crimps squeezed as hard as u can...10 with crimps just gently squeezed and 10 twisted. Hook them into a lump of wood and pull to your hearts content.

I have done this several times and its always the twisted traces that break or slip causing bad kinking. The gently squeezed traces sometimes slip, but i have never had a problem with the hard squeezed ones.

I tend to pass the line through the crimp, then the hook, back through the crimp again, then bend over the tag end of the wire for 8-10 mm and slip it back inside the crimp...then snuggle up everything. This stops everything pulling free as its a pretty tight fit. It also stops a wee tag of sharp wire poking out from the crimp where u cut it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast