I need a new whistle & flute

C

Chris Bishop

Me old Bob Church waxed suit and my thermal under-wotsits have just about had it.

Anyone got any ideas for a good replacement, preferably under ?100..?

I've seen some very cheap suits made by new firms like Badger - anyone know if they're any good..?

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, may I suggest u go to Transworl Surplus. You can get brand new Dutch Army gortex trousers for ?25 and British Army Gortex smock for ?65. These will keep u warm and dry in the worst conditions. The hood is huge which means u can snuggle it up and keep rain and wind out no probs, and I have used mune on a boat with no seepage onto my bum from sitting on a wet seat. Another bonus is they roll up very small and dry VERY quickly.

C

Chris Bishop

Top idea mate, except I live a bit far away. Do they do mail order..?

R

Rob Brownfield

Also have a look at the Russiun Artika parka...serious bit of kit. Will knock spots of off any of the commercial stuff

P

Philip Inzani

Rob, I have been mulling about the Gortex trousers for a while....can you give me a bit more info...are they insulated or thin, elasticted or zipped etc etc ?
Also the smock, is it a smock like a poncho or like coat. The big hood bit really interests me.....Why do so many waterproof coats have such crap small hoods..I want the full Kenny from south park!

S

Stuart Bullard

Chris, I did the same, although from my local army surplus where I know the guy who runs it. Beats paying for a designer label any day. One bit of advice he gave me was that the French, German, Dutch and Nordics provided far superior kit than the British......our guys just fight better!!

D

Dave -------------------

Rob any advice on the tricky subject of what size to order.

Are the trousers a Generous in terms of fit ?

R

Rob Brownfield

Philip...They are a treble tickness gortex membane bonded to a nylon/cotton outta. No insulation, but because they are windproof, they are much warmer then u would expect.

I have the UK trousers which are velcro wasted with zipped bottoms so u can get them on over boots etc. I think the dutch version is the same...but they have a thicker backside than british.

The jacket is a hooded jacket. The hood is a "Kenny" design with loads of room. Mine has a wired hood, which is even better.

Have a look at the link...there are pictures and prices available...as well as loads of other useful items...CHEAP!

http://www.transworldsurplus.co.uk/

Dave, sizes on UK kit are in centremeters, but call them...they are really helpful!!!

Stuart..that was true 5 years ago, but the British kit, especially the "soldier 2000" stuff is fantastic. Have a look at the new gloves for example. Wonderful quality thin leather with a gortex liner.

C

Chris Bishop

I've got Goretex trousers - brilliant. Light, 100% waterproof, only problem is sweat (!) and that annoying rustle.

They're great for piking as you can kneel over a fish to unhook it without getting wet knees.

A

Andy Doughty

I think my Sundrigde Heavy Weight Two Piece suit is great. I have got an Ex army jacket for summer evenings, I suppose that the army stuff should be the DB`s.
The water proof trousers for kneeling over the pike is spot on, makes things a whole lot easier.
Water proof socks are my recomendation. Porelle Drys, made by Porvair in Kings Lynn are great, they cost a lot (or so I am told) but they truely are waterproof and breathable too!

R

Ron Clay

Here's a tip from the sixties: Potato sacking and Stockholm Tar to keep it waterproof. To hold it together: baling twine.

Tip by courtesy of the late Ray Webb

C

Chris Bishop

Know what to look out for in October then mate. If I see someone who looks like a sack of spuds sitting on the bank I'll know it's Ron.

Did that book turn up today..?

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris...u have problems with sweat?...in Goretex????..U shouldn't...since its ment to let out sweat!!

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Stuart, the reason they fight better is because of the crap gear! They need to get it over with quicker cause the gear is so crap. One of my mates was on the Falklands before the main force arrived and he bought his own gear, boots and all! I'm not certain whether he had satndard army rifle but he did say the knife worked OK! Needless to say I make a point of staying on the right side of him, he always gets the best swim.
Colin

R

Ron Clay

Another Top Tip.

Leaky wellies or waders?

No problem, get two large heavy duty bin liners and cover the wellies. Tie around you knees with with baling twine.

R

Rob Brownfield

Colin, we all bought our own kit!!..lol
Especially boots, sleeping bags, patrol sacks, gloves and windproofs.

P

Philip Inzani

Ron, top tips but better still...if you compleatly encase yourself in a bin liner and tie the top with bailing twine (get a friend to help) then you could then totally submerge yourself without getting wet.
(-: