Lure Venue Recommendations Sought

Jon Strutt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone have any recommendations for a venue for some lure sport in the Solihull / South Warwickshire / North Oxfordshire areas?

Not looking to break any records, just have a good few hours of sport.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks,

M

Mark Hodson

Jon

As has been said many times before on this forum, predator anglers are very secretative about their favourite or decent venues, not because we are unsociable or selfish but purely because once the knowledge is in the public domain the venues get invaded by idiots and all your hard work and effort goes down the drain.

You'll get more satisfaction in finding your own venues and exploring their potential. Get out there and start chucking, every stretch of fishable water in the land has got predators in it.

C

Chris Bishop

Just fish as many different places as you can, get a few reliable lures and keep on the move.

L

levelspiker

good advice from both posts above.
personally,i find more satisfaction when i catch pike through my own efforts in searching a water,than getting told the "going" venues or swims.
the best waters\swims are the ones that get little (or no) angling pressure,if you find a good one,DON`T advertise it!(even in the local pub!)
it`s fact that pike thrive on neglect,which is all too often proved by the lack of big pike,or the poor condition of the ones that are present in waters that are heavily fished by people that aren`t proficient in the safe handling of pike.
happy hunting!

J

jason fisher

piking is a waste of time in the banbury area, there isn't anything decent around.

i know that doesnt help much other than saying i wouldn't waste my time in that direction.

p.s. if anyone can remember what a pike looks like please let me know, i think i've forgotten. had a lovely 9 hour blank today.

Jon Strutt

Reaction score
I hear what you all say, but I'd like to add that I'm not after information on so-called "going venues" or where the last 20lb plus came from. I'm merely looking for a couple of suggestions for venues that might provide an enjoyable few hours.

Thanks, though, for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Cheers folks...

L

levelspiker

pac of gb site will give you details of the local pac region contact.join the region and you get good advice.

K

Keith Orange

Jon, most anglers (not just pikers) are reluctant to publicise waters on forums such as these.

If you are looking for a good lure water, one solution is to ask around in local tackle shops. Another is to visit pike venues you already know about, and ask any pike anglers already fishing. Pike anglers will generally give you advice person to person.

C

Chris Bishop

Waste of time around Banbury..? You're having laugh Jason aren't you..?

Hundreds of gravel pits stretching away up the Thames Valley, the river and all its weirpools, canals, the Midlands rivers...

J

jason fisher

alright then having actually lived in banbury at one time i'd say it was a waste of time round banbury. oxford and south wards sleep walkers die of drowning because there's so much water but north oxford shire is crap in my opinion.
and yes i do know claddicote is there but i'd hardly call it a good piking venue.

J

jason fisher

that's why i always used to head south for about half an hour when i lived there, that's why i moved to didcot, save the half hour drive. that and at the time i actually worked in didcot.