perch lures

bazmati

Reaction score
Could anybody give me some advice on lures or other artifficials for perch in scottish lochs, cheers

C

Christian Tyroll

ive caught alot of perch on silver size 3 mepps, i think its a bit of a tried and tested lure really. but also i think bouncing little jigs along the bottom can be productive aswell, im yet to try this despite having bought a few!
all the best
christian

T

The Monk

Caught quite a few perch using flyspoons and the American rubber worms, trolling appears to be a favorite method, unlike pike perch tend to follow lures in straight lines

C

Christian Tyroll

I didnt know that Monk but i can believe it, as in the summer on the Thames ive, i guess, trolled spinners 40yards from a boat going along as normal, and caught a fair few fish!

J

James Kinnear

The best lure we have found for perch are a luhr jensen hotlips in texas red or a red willies worm , these are both deep diving 2" long plugs and we troll them, we have had loads of 2,lb'ers and a few at 3lb.

C

Chris Bishop

Get some Ondex spinners, esp in silver. Hooks a nightmare to keep sharp but seriously good perch lure.

Ken L

Reaction score
Hard to beat a Mepps Angila No3.
With plugs. I've always found that those without rattles work better for perch and have done well with some of the Salmo wooden minows.
The advice about steady retirives id definatly right. Work the lure and the perch spook, give it a steady retrieve and they'll peck at it until they get hooked.

Personally, I often change the trebles for Mustad Triple Grip's if I'm deliberatly targeting perch. I just have confidence in then and find them less inclined to get shaken out by the fish.

Nick Edwards 2

Reaction score
Mepps are always a good alround bet, spend loads on lures last winter and a ?3 Mepp size 6 came up trumps everytime also responsible for a few good chub

Nick

captain carrott

Reaction score
The advice about steady retirives id definatly right. Work the lure and the perch spook, give it a steady retrieve and they'll peck at it until they get hooked.

apart from in the thames where working the lure does work.

ondex silver in clear water gold when there's a bit of colour in the water.
the aglia longues aren't too bad with a bit of flow on the important bit with thames perch is to work the lure very slowly up river against the current.

then again lures wont outcatch lobworms or small lives.

Lewis Duffy

Reaction score
the small ondex are good and so are some of the very small rapala lures, caught a fair few on the lankey.

Adam Martin 3

Reaction score
I recon the Rapala shad rap suspender to superb retreve- stop- retreve.

On a wire trace drops slowly through the water like a minnow with its back broken had perch to 3 1/2lb and pike to 16lb on this one.

Lewis Duffy

Reaction score
Ye the shad rap is an excellent lure and so is the tail dancer. Havent had any perch on them but plenty of pike, but i dont think there are many perch in the lankey anyway.

S

Steven Hills

Gold abu atom.
De novo spinners.
Length of red rabbit fur (4-5") with a few strands of flash tied to a 10gram jig.

C

Chris Bishop

Never had a perch on a Shad Rap but have had them on lives that size when pike or zander fishing.

Giles Hill

Reaction score
There's Shad Raps which are 2-4" & Super Shad Raps 5.5". Perch do get caught on SSRs but it tends to be luck rather than by design.

B

Budgie Burgess

Suprise only one person has mentioned the ABU Atom.In the large size it is the most productive Perch lure Ive ever found.Best colour? Yes I agree too the Gold/copper colour.

S

Sean Meeghan

Any 'curly tail' plastic or one of the Storm super realistic Roach plastics. I've had a lot of success with these on Loch Lomond - take a look at my thumbnail. Think there's a few pics in my album as well. I've found that Perch will often pick these lures up of the bottom when they are stationary. The only downside is that the Perch often nip the tail off which makes the lure useless.

Just keep a steady retreive when you get the little bumps and pull and the fish will normally work its way up to the hook!