Esthwaite

S

Sean Meeghan

I'll be fishing Esthwaite on one of the PAC sessions on 4 November. It will be my first time on the water - has anyone got any experience there?

D

Dave O'L

Yes Sean, but in the 70's when it was a still a natural water, before the nets & 'bows got put in. Sorry, I always feel a bit annoyed when I drive past seeing what it's become, people catching tame fish out of the nets near the bank.

Best of luck when you go. Remeber to take this when you go, if you haven't already seen it when Chris Bishop posted it. Thanks again Chris (& thanks Scott if you read this site).
http://www.scottthomson.btinternet.co.uk/Esthwaite.gif

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks Dave. I suppose its only a variant of carp puddle syndrome only using dustbin liners instead of keepnets. I see the same thing on my local Washburn valley resevoirs, which I still fish occasionally.

G

Gary Knowles

Sean,

From the boat house if you turn left, go about 1000 yards then turn into the centre of the lake, about three quarters accross the lake is a huge underwater plateau. This comes up to within inches of the surface so keep your eye on the echo sounder and get ready to pull the engine up ! This is a real hotspot and fishing adjacent to the drop off around the edge of this plateau usually produces a fish or two.

Another good spot is again to the left if you move down the bank adjacent to thick reed beds, all along here and around into the bay that these reeds merge into is good.

Cheers

Gary

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks Gary I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how I get on.

S

Sean Meeghan

Gary

I tried to e-mail you but it didn't work. It was a bit of a grueller and the standard deadbait trolling techniques obviously weren't working, so I tried my standard Lomond solution and moored up on a drop off in an area that had previous form. We chose 'Four Trees Bay just up from the shallows that you mentioned. We placed one deadbait in the deeper water and one on the shallows and fished jerk baits over the dropoff. We were just thinking about a move when I got a take from a large fish on a suspending 'Pig'. Unfortunately the hook straightened. I can't really explain it because I routinely 'ping' them before use and they seemed fine to me. Still its certaintly whetted my appetite for the next time!

Only a couple of low doubles and a jack were caught from 9 boats.