Crimping pliers

A

Andrew Thomas

Anyone know who might manufacture these? My local shop is struggling to locate any for me. Thanks.

C

Chris Bishop

Harris do a pair of purpose-built ones.

Can't you just use ordinary needle-nose pliers. Make a few practice traces to get the hang of it.

A

Andrew Thomas

Ta chaps, have used fine pliers in the past but thought maybe a purpose built tool might be more reliable.

B

Barry Kneller

I've just started lure fishing again after many years - dusted off all my old lures - sharpened & de-barbed all the hooks and thought about getting some new trace wire (I've still got a roll of elasticum in my pike box!) couldn't believe how good the modern stuff & settled on Drennan 7 strand 15lb bs. I wanted to buy some crimping pliers but all those I saw on sale were crap so decided try and modify some normal pliers. I found a pair of stumpy nosed internal circlip pliers & ground the sides of the jaws down to about 3mm & they work perfectly. The rounded gripping surfaces are narrow enough to get two indents onto 7 strand crimps. I tested several traces to destruction & tho the wire showed some sign of slippage in the crimps, in every test the wire broke in the middle of the trace first. (break point about 16-17 lbs)

B

Barry Kneller

this is a ps to my previous posting:
I've just had a look at the crimping pliers on the Harris Angling web site. They have a cantilever action & look as they will do a real good job on any size of crimp - snag is they cost 25 quid.

R

Rob Brownfield

Barry...can i suggest going up to at least 20 pounds for your wire...the Drennen stuff seems to "wear out" when lure angling

C

Chris Bishop

Anyone tried the ET 49-strand..? Barge rope but it's 30lb bs and bomb proof.

D

David Williams

hi andrew
the crimps you want will cost you ?25to?30
for a set i am a spark and use them every day you can buy them from b/q focus any electrical outlet hope this helps tightlines
dave

B

Barry Kneller

Rob
Thanks for the tip about the Drennan wire - I've got some 20lb & I'll keep an eye on the 15.
Do you know of a very flexble wire? - the manufacture recommends that it's knotted NOT twisted or crimped - I think its's called 'Alligator Wire' or something like that.

R

Rob Brownfield

Fox do a very soft wire that i use for fly fishing for pike...its called Soft Steel and can be knotted.

Also, Caliber do a knottable wire too. U can get through Harris Angling.

G

Glyn Farman

Dave Lumb does some crimping/debarbing pliers for a fiver that are preety good.Drennan soft strand can be knotted.