Chasing Targets ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
For 5 years I neglected most other forms of Predator Fishing by my desire to catch a 4lbplus Perch from the Lea Valley.

A genuine 4lbder, not one weighed on elastic scales and I came very close on a couple of occasions, with Perch of 3lbs 151/2ozs and 3lbs15, but I just could not get that 4lb Perch.

Then, in the coldest of the winter last year and completely out of the blue I managed a 4lb+Perch.

I have not been Perch fishing since !!

Are there others who set targets for themselves and then loose interest ?

I'm after a Double figure Lea Zander now :)

Bob

madmatz

Reaction score
my target is as many pike as possible plus a windermere 20lbr i doubt i will loose interest after though :D

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I have been fortunate over the last fifty years achieving most of my self imposed targets, and still I continue to fish with enthusiasm despite physical limitations.

So am I a lost soul or just love the sport and having fun.

mol

Reaction score
For 5 years I neglected most other forms of Predator Fishing by my desire to catch a 4lbplus Perch from the Lea Valley.

A genuine 4lbder, not one weighed on elastic scales and I came very close on a couple of occasions, with Perch of 3lbs 151/2ozs and 3lbs15, but I just could not get that 4lb Perch.

Then, in the coldest of the winter last year and completely out of the blue I managed a 4lb+Perch.

Bob

I'd been carp fishing for years, I'd never really set a goal for myself but always wanted a big common. Last year spring I caught a big male common that was well over 40lb, since then I've struggled to carp fish. Indeed I've not been carp fishing for 10 months and TBH I've not missed it.

little oik

Reaction score
I have been after a large rudd for a couple years but so far never seem to have the time or the inclination so far to target them properly, even though there is a lake where the Irish record and a heap of specimens as well have come put of it over the last number of years and its only 25min away!
In my opinion the best looking of course fish without a doubt .

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm starting to try to enjoy the process of angling rather the results; and not beat myself up for not trying hard enough.
The process I prefer is float-fishing, though my best roach, chub, dace, tench and barbel have been caught legering.
(My best bream was on the float, which is odd; that's one of the few species I would start out for by legering).
Next time out, I intend to take my poundland whip, and have a quick scratch on hemp or bread to save the blank, and I sha'n't stop, if I'm enjoying myself.
I shall, however, be feeding a swim at comfy casting range, and the margins each side of me. Any deep swirls in the margins, and out will go a carp set; I'll also have the occaisional look-see on the float...
Back in the eighties, I had a two-pound roach at the end of a ten-week, one afternoon a week campaign, and haven't fished that way since; I once had ten decent "Netter" bream off a tide at Richmond, and haven't been back; the same sort of thing with my best chub, barbel, tench, perch and dace (thought the last was from the Windrush, which is a long way to go to try for a smallish fish). Once I hit a "target", I seem to cross it off the agenda.
Not the best mind-set for a ruthless specimen-hunter!

rains

Reaction score

Bob
While i would love to catch a 4LB perch am just happy cathing fish its the excitment and uncertinty that i enjoy the not knowing untill you have landed the fish. Catching heavy fish is great and all but nothing beats the above for me i just enjoy fishing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
yes my 2lb rudd - but that wasn't really a target - it's just a hope

I've not been puttign much time in at the pond - in fact I've not been up there for about 2 weeks - if I was seriously chasing a target I'd ahve been there more often

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Danny,

Another species which I gave my all too !!

I caught a 5lb Eel by mistake whilst Carp fishing and the fight considering I was using Carp Tackle was exceptional.

I decided to concentrate on Eels the following Summer, which gave me all winter to read up on the Species (John Sidley Book).

The next Summer was a miserable failer, I caught a few small eels, but nothing of any size, learning that Big Eels are far from an easy species to catch.

How did they manage to eat the air injected worms, off the JS sliding rigs without any tell tales signals from the front Buzzers and rear drop off indicators ?

I joined the NAC and really got into the species, I also found a water that held a few Big Eels.

JS and Dyson rigs sorted and a decent venue, the dye was cast, my fishing mate at the time had a "6", I carried on blanking, but in the end I had a bite.

A couple of Bleeps on the Delkin and I stood waching the Rod tip nod gently, I said to my mate, if it nods again I'm going to hit it !

It did and I hit it, after a monumental tussle I landed a superb Specimen, caught by design and weighing in at 7lbs 2ozs.

I cannot tell you how many biteless hours I had done in persuit of that Eel, but it was hundreds, I fished on for Eels until the end of the season.

But that was enough for me, I have been Eel fishing a few times since and I have caught a few, but nothing compares to the feeling of catching that Big Eel after all that effort !!

Bob

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Great tale Bob, bet that Eel will always be a special capture for you and rightly so.

Your not filling me with confidence as im embarking on my first summer targetting Eels :eek:mg::D infact im out later tonight.....................................

Oh well, got to be in it to win it and i wanted a fresh challenge to my fishing.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Danny,

Give it a go, I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge !!

I would strong recommend joining the NAC, they gave me loads of help.

Bob

richiekelly

Reaction score
i shall be chasing a target this season starting on the 16th, the target is a barbel from a new river and any will do for a start.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
i shall be chasing a target this season starting on the 16th, the target is a barbel from a new river and any will do for a start.

Yep I'm fishing a new bit of River this year and nothing less than an 8lb Chub will do !!

Mind you I have been saying that for years and I don't think it achiveable, so No Chance of me getting bored with Chub Fishing :)

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
I only very occasioanally set targets. They tend to be fairly modest so as not to lead to disappointment when I either fail miserably to meet them or even do actually achieve them leaving me nowhere further to go.

However, there is only one species that I've pretty much totally given up on, that's pike. I used to dabble with pike fishing, which is a little thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. However, what really pulled me up short was catching a twenty four pounder many years ago on the top end of the river Hull. I'm pretty sure that I could have travelled miles and put in hours and not bettered that so I've probably fished for pike no more than five or six times in the last fifteen years.

Simon K

Reaction score
Having spent a good bit of time after a double-figure Zander and catching a 15lb-er, I can't say I've lost interest. I've found they're a species that are so difficult to catch enough of to get a decent picture of their habits anyway, that their mystery still draws me to fish for them.
Albeit not with quite the same fervour.

An 8lb chub has been my Holy Grail for a few years now, 7.15 being the closest so far and I believe it is achievable. I think I might give it a rest if I caught one, sorry, WHEN I catch one!
As that quote said, "Winter fishing, I'll be really glad when I've had enough of it". (FJT?)

watatoad

Reaction score
I am just fanatical about enjoying my fishing although a 30lb Roach would not go amiss...hehehe

Philip

Reaction score
Targets are something that can add an interest to your fishing.

However it does not always need to be weight. The problem for the more experienced anglers is that after a while it is not really realistic to beat your personal best each time you go out. This is when it can add fun to change your targets. Perhaps a pb from a water or maybe try and catch as many species as you can from somewhere. How about a pb on the float rather than the lead or perhaps try and catch a net of fish rather than just 1 whopper….

The list of permutations is endless. That’s what makes fishing so great and why I just smile when a non angler says : “...but don’t you find it boring?”