Bleepers

A

Austin Buchan

My mates been fishing at Coombs res
near Macclesfield and has had constant
3 bleeps..Stop..3 bleeps..Stop.
He's tried letting it develop and also
tried the early hit but misses every time, this has gone on for 3 months..
tried all sorts of baits as well but it only happens on mackeral.
Any idea's anyone???
ta
Ozz

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My guess is that eels are responsible. They chew lumps out of big deadbaits.

R

Rob Brownfield

I presume the mackeral are a bit bigger than the normal baits? If so, it could be Jacks picking up the bait and dropping it. I have seen this happen with me. No matter what u do, u always miss the fish.

Is the bait comming back marked with small puncture wounds...if so, this is probably what is happening.

Also, it may be eels. I have had them attack oily baits...just giving short pulls...then nothing for a few minutes...then another short pull. The bait is normally unmarked, or, sometimes u see thumb nail sized marks on it.

Final thought...but this maybe a long shot. It could be Carp attempting to eat the bait....it has been known..and Maks seem to be a favourite.

G

Gary Knowles

If there are no marks on the bait it could also be line bites. A reservoir i pike fish contains both carp and bream and liners are common from fish patrolling the margins. Although unless it was a coincidence it doesn't explain why it only happens with mackerel.

Like Graham said though when using oily baits such as sardine or mackerel you can get eel trouble, although they do tend to mark the bait. Leaving the edges 'ragged' so you should be able to tell if they are responsible. As you only get this on mackerel bait this may be the most likely explaination.

A

Austin Buchan

Thanks guys,
as far as I know the water doesn't contain
eels in any numbers (if any at all) I've never heard of any showing themselves,
There seems to be no marks on the mac,
I thought that it may have been perch, never
gave the carp a thought though even tho I
have heard of them coming to deadbaits(Carp
Forum).
Ozz

C

Chris Bishop

Eels or liners. Eels love sea deads and can shred them up around the hooks.