Perch..advice on hooklength material...

TonyO2

Reaction score
Hello all
Couple of questions...
Can anyone offer any views on the most sucessful hooklength material to use when fishing for perch with worms as bait.
Would the softness of braid assist...or does standard mono work best due to the fact it is probably less visable ( or perhaps flurocarbon due to similar reasons )

And do long hooklengths work better due to fact they offer less resistance in conjunction with a large bore run ring...rather than opting for a bolt rig which personally i have never had and success with for with perch...

Second question...
When using small livebaits on a water with a large head of Pike is there a wire that is more sucessful for perch fishing ( thinner and more supple would perhaps be appropriate ) that anyone can recomend....perhaps to lessen the amount of dropped runs due to perch seing/feeling wire..
Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated...

S

Sean Meeghan

I tend to use float tackle when fishing for perch. Reflo power line is good in 6lb (5lb 14oz actually I think). Not found anything better than wire for lure fishing. The modern thinner wires work OK, buttend to kink easily so replace the trace after every fish

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

For your first question Tony.
Personally I would opt for a short mono hooklength for Perch.
The reason being that if you give them to much free line (long hooklength) they will probably swallow the bait right down before you get any indication.

I actually got a good run off a 6 oz Perch last week. Ledgering with a free running lead, short 10" hooklength and a modified indicator, so everything was as tention free as possible.

S

sash

There are a few light wires around, Supatress, Z thread (Masterline) etc but all are relatively expensive. Might be worth trying out the catfish type links such as Catlink or the newer pike safe too (see CCG website).

E

EC

I have found that when using braid with really lively worms that the worms can occasionally wrap your hooklength in knots Tony, as such I would go for mono when worm fishing.

TonyO2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies
Over the years i have had a lot of sucess with big perch ( not suprising living on the the doorstep of the Great Ouse )

Odd thing is..over last five years havent done a lot of perch fishing, mainly fishing for chub/barbel on the river in autumn/winter..with summer dedicated to carp/tench and bream on lakes. I have had very few large perch even when fishing lobs for barbel/chub in swims i know have a good head of perch, some over 2lb in weight. I can only put it down to the braid i use almost exclusively for barbel/chub. Before this i would use mono and quite regularily catch the odd bonus perch over 1 1/2 lb in weight.
I am now looking to go back to mono hooklenght for worm fishing then...i used to use Drennan Float Fish in 6lb for hooklengths's...will try these again, but would be interested in other newer mono's and trying fluorocarbons ( am i correct i thinking the one's for fly fishing are of a higher standard and better value? )
Will look at some of the newer wires for fishing with small livebaits as well....

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Another vote for Reeflo Powerline 5lb 14oz from me.

Having watched smaller perch in clear water, it's obvious they can be tackle shy, especially of the line.

TonyO2

Reaction score
Will look out to try both and see how i get on with them.
So far i have in the past all my large perch have come on livebaits but on some venues where livebaiting is banned i will look at seeing what results i get on lobs ( i have tried deadbaits in a similar manner to the one recomended by Steve Burke (admitedly smaller though) but have only had jacks and chub on aforementioned venues

B

Budgie Burgess

Long hook lengths and worms are a recipe for deep hooking.I never go longer than 18".

Normal mono for me for hook length.I dont (and dont think the fish either) like flurocarbons stiffness.

For lives I also use mono unless pike are present.If there are pike then youve got to use wire.I think it can put the perch off so definately wouldnt use any of the thicker wires like Drennan. The old Wonderwire is great but hard to get hold of these days.Steve did tell me of an alternative source but Im blowed if I can remember it of the top of my head!

TonyO2

Reaction score
Thanks Budgie...will see if i can find any of Steve's old articles to see if he mentions the name of the wire