Does Bob Nudd have a brain at all?

captain carrott

Reaction score
for my shame, i was reading through a copy of this weeks news of the world when i come to page 61.

on it is bob nudd's weekly column. where he is saying that there are too many pike in the warwickshire avon, the nene and the soar, and he is calling for a cull.
up untill that point i respected the bloke.
now i cvan say i have lost all respect for him.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Newsflash: There are too many twits writting articles for the 'news of the world'

P

paul williams 2

CC.....i think there can be predator imbalance.....but in all the cases i can think about it is manmade....i have seen doubles thrown up the bank on the W.Avon.....and then the matchies wonder why there are to many jacks about!

There are a few t**ts about mate!

captain carrott

Reaction score
".....i think there can be predator imbalance."

there certainly can, but for him to call for this will result in the match morons throwing everything up the bank. we have all seen the results of people like this calling for culls before.
no good ever comes of it for any species.

his is a mentality which i had hoped was dieing out after it was proved that they cause nothing but harm to the system.

it will certainly damage stocks round where ron lives.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I can understand where they coming from (still don't agree how they handle it) too many predators are a threat for the survival of other species but surely there must be another way of solving that problem.......I just haven't thought of one yet but I'm working on it......maybe call the RSPCA to re-home them lol (just kidding)....

R

Rodney Wrestt

Bob is a matchman, and he sees things from a certain point of view, I don't think he's suddenly become a to55er, but maybe his ideals need reviewing.

owch, another splinter up my backside...... any volunteers?

J

john ledger

Dont think old Bob would know how to write an article and have heard they are done for him.
I do like his diagrams of his pole rigs though they are really really interesting snnnnnooooooozzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeee

R

Rodney Wrestt

John, how could you, the man's a RAP star..... I got maggotzzzzz in me catapult..... beaaatch.

All hail Bob, the king of ping.

P

paul preston 2

yes i read that piece too. I must admit i dont like predator fish

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Why don't you like predators Paul. They are vital in a healthy fishery.

The problem with some match anglers is that they treat fish as points, weight or numbers, nothing more, nothing less.

I truly wish that many of this type of match angler would realise that they are persuing a wild animal in a wild environment and stop wondering if they are going to win a section, make the frame or even win the match.

If a match angler thinks that way he would probably be better off playing darts, snooker or golf.

I remember reading somewhere where a match angler was asked what he would prefer to catch, a 2 lb roach or a 2 1/2 lb bream. He answered - a 2 1/2lb bream.

Somewhere, match anglers have got their values ass about tit.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Ron
Very well spoken/written......we all have some kind of fish we don't like (I hate eels) but they all have their uses in mother nature...I wouldn't kill an eel if I'd ever had on on my line......I'd just screem, drop the rod and run a mile lol....

Ok Paul, so you don't like predators, that's you right....but would you kill one if you had it on the end of your line??? I certainly wouldn't!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ron,
I think you missunderstand Pauls' post, he was commenting that some match anglers don't value Pike etc. and stupidly throw them up the bank, this means that for every decent sized predator they treat this way, the smaller ones thrive and create more problems.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Claudia,
I'm stunned, have you never taken the time to place an eel on an unhooking mat, keep it wet and stroke it till it goes stiff and almost sleeps in your hand, they are very easy to handle in this state, no need to scream ...... unless that's what you feel like doing anyway.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
I don't like bream but I'm not proposing they be slung up the bank!

I'm utterly disgusted at Bob Nudd. His comments are divisive and selfish. Does he think his kind of fishing (match) takes precedence over mine (pike)? Should my sport suffer in order that his might improve?

The old match vs specimen wounds were just starting to heal over and this clown goes and publishes something like that.

Bob clearly doesn't care about unity in angling - and that makes him stupid, but he's also quite ignorant of the facts.
Culling (killing) pike almost always CAUSES a pike problem.
See this web page for information on pike kills from someone who knows what he is talking about.

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/pdfs/review.pdf

Stupid AND ignorant - what a guy!

captain carrott

Reaction score
rod, me and ron grew up in the same place bar about 3 miles,
the match fishers from there in general think the only good pike is a dead pike and it is comments like nudds that will make them go out and throw every pike up the bank. many of them would think nothing of throwing a 30 up the bank never mind a double.

believe me that article will cause some idiot to go out specifically with the intention of catching and killing pike.

R

Quite right actually Rodney. The killing of big pike - over 10 lbs say, is totally wrong. Big pike like nothing more than to eat their smaller bretheren and in doing so keep a natural fishery free of loads of jacks.

And I have seen match anglers throw barbel up the bank before today!

R

Quite right Captain. A few years ago I caught a pike of about 8 or 9 pounds on a local canal. The screams of abuse from a few match guys in the vicinity as I released this fish were frightening.

But come on you match guys, lets hear a few of your views.

C

Chris Bishop

I was horrified to read it. All the respect I had for Bob Nudd went out of the window.

It's ignorant nonsense.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
This is a copy of the letter I sent to AT this afternoon

<b>?Now its time to shut your mouth?</b>

Bob Nudd?.Are you on drugs?

Having just read ?Bobs? piece in the Sunday papers, I have to admit to being totally bewildered by his logic and sense of timing. ?There are too many pike and they need culling? said Bob. Sorry Bob but that is a flawed argument. I don?t care about how many fish you had snatched off the hook whilst you fished the Warwickshire Avon, the Nene or the Soar.

We are in the midst of a war, a war that is being fought on several fronts against some seriously dangerous opposition. One of the major battles in this war is the re-education of Eastern European and Asian immigrants into the ethics of angling UK style. We the British anglers are trying to point out (in several different languages and until we are blue in the face and not always with the backing one would expect from the EA) that in this country we fish mainly for sport and not for the pot.

We value fish too highly to catch them once is an ethic I believe started in the USA with catch and release and has been adopted pretty much across the board in the UK as well. The UK is a small Island that now has a population of over 60,000,000 and if we allow every Tom **** and Ahmed to take fish for the pot then our extremely finite resources will soon be seriously depleted and so it is of great importance that this message is struck home and understood.

So it is with utter incredulity I found myself reading Bob ramblings where he praises the reemergence of the silverfish but at the same time declares war on the predators, I hope Bob reads this?.Bob, rivers are natural waterways with a natural balance of species the only time this balance is thrown out is when we interfere with it! How can we say to Mr. X from Poland/Lithuania/Iraq/Congo that he cannot take a fish for the pot when you, one of our highest ambassadors and greatest exponents want to cull fish simply to improve your sport?

If you think that a cull will improve your sport you are wildly wide of the mark, it will not make an iota of difference excepting maybe encouraging even more small pike and probably zander into the bio-masse of the rivers in question. The best control of small pike are big pike, remove those and we have disease issues and stunting to worry about, so do us all a favour and don?t meddle in things you cannot control.

If you still want predator free fishing where you are not getting ?snatched?, go back onto the commercial pools and play with the manmade F1?s and leave the real fishing to real anglers who understand the bigger picture and the real issues.

Lee Swords