Predators only

J

John Huntley

I have recently been fishing a pit that seems only to have pike and perch in. No signs at all of any silver fish. Is it possible to have a self sustaining population of only pike and perch?

Joskin

Reaction score
There are lakes near to me that only seem to contain Pike and perch. There are a few Chub etc but a hell of alot more predators than prey so I would assume that they must be thriving on each other.

P

Phil Heaton

I would doubt that there are no other fish for them to eat as nature maintains a balanceed percentage of predators to none predators.
I have a lake near me where people think there is no fish at all but it still contains pike, perch and brown trout.
Over the past few years I have seen carp, up to a surprising size and large shoals of bait fish on my fish finder while looking for features.
Despite this it is very rare to see a fish 'top' to give the game away that fish are present, perhaps someone smarter than me can tell me why this should be.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Despite this it is very rare to see a fish 'top' to give the game away that fish are present, perhaps someone smarter than me can tell me why this should be.

they're hiding from people who want to catch them.

not that i'm saying i'm smarter than you just far sillyer.

there's a resser near me which you don't see fish activity on unless there's no one in sight.
if you sit for a long time concealed in the bushes you will see the odd one top but any sign of movement and the place looks completely dead.

T

Terry Peers

has anyone thought of spodding for pike with mashed up bait i trolled the net and cant find anything about itgoing to loch ronald next month i was going to give it a go

C

Chris Bishop

I wouldn't bother, just concentrate on working different areas of the swim with baits fished in different ways if you're deadbaiting.

T

Terry Peers

hi chris it must attract the fish by smell alone and your not feeding them up

terry

C

Chris Bishop

Half of it will float away, what use is the rest going to do..? Can you guarantee it's landing close enough to your bait to attract fish to it..?

Better flavour the bait or add extra oil to boost its scent trail.

T

Terry Peers

mmm you may be right mate i may just give it a go on 1 rod and see if there is any difference i will keep you informed thanks anyway
regards terry