What Reel For A Newbie?

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm relatively new to pike fishing and after spinning and chucking lures with a carp rod I really need to invest in a lure rod to save my wrists from disintergrating! ;o)

Like the look of the Fox Piker Mulit-Spin which is around ?40. Problem is I have no idea what I'm looking for in a reel! Budget is again around ?40 and if anyones got any suggestions/advice it would be greatly appreciated! :eek:)

S

shakey jake

jhon wilson has an IDEAL range. and ive seen a really nice rod and reel combo for bout 40 quid if thats any help.

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Really? Pucker. Can you post a link or any details please mate? :eek:)

mike hunt

Reaction score
its just what i saw in me local tacle shop. but im sure if you look on tinternet you ll be able to find somfing. or ask ya local tackle dealer. sorry cant be any more help.

C

Chris Bishop

Daiwa Emblem 5000T, nice reel for boat fishing or off the bank on gravel pits, legering deads on drop-offs etc.

Drains and rivers baitrunners, 8010 or 8000GTEs.

Use both, love the Emblems for cranking power, get them for ?25 ish on eBay.

big gus

Reaction score
Fordy, get to bed. Or I'll be having a word with Dunny.

(Oh, as for a reel, get a multiplier mate. Either the Abu 5501 or 6501. The dogs.)

Sinned

Reaction score
This looks a good deal for you to try your hand at lure fishing:
http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2951
The Fox piker is a nice all round rod with a 20-60g rating which will cast most lures. Spend some money on braid 40-50lb. You only need 100m or less. Couple this with a reel like the 2500 or 4000 Shimano Exage 3.The Catana is cheaper. Front drag reels usually have a better clutch, are lighter and more compact. I like Diawa reels for spinning but I use the TD-R 3012 which is a bit expensive but stunning to use.