Pike and water clarity

keora

Reaction score
I mainly fish rivers, and I find that my catches are better if there is good water clarity. If the water is cloudy following a flood, then my catches, with one or two exceptions, are poor.

I've recently fished a large man made lake with poor water clarity. A large sardine is invisible to the viewer one it's more than about 8 inches below the surface. The lack of clarity is the same in winter and summer.

Are still waters any good for pike if the water is so murky?

p a c man(B A S)

Reaction score
pike will allways use there sense of smell,vibration in such conditions......if there hungry they will feed.
well thats my theory....and its allways works 4 me.

C

Chris Bishop

I've fished coloured pits which were still beign worked and caught. The pike were all really light-coloured.

Catch on rivers when they're coloured as well, the first couple of days after heavy rain are normally a write-off because of all the crap which gets washed in off the roads, sewers, land drains etc but they'll normally be on the feed after that if you can find them.

They've still got to feed, after all. Mild conditions like we have at the moment mean they digest food faster.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ive caught "Zombie Pike" (that pale and washed out they look dead!) as well!

When lure fishing I've found the clearer the water the better.With baits Ive found clarity is nowhere near as important as other conditions.